UN Scandal - does anyone know the reason they joined to start with?

by AK - Jeff 73 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• one
    one

just like any big conspiracy everything is "confused" and finally very simple, an stupidity commited by a weird person, such as Lee Oswald...

• sf
    sf
    besides the links, can you summarize?

Oh sure, I COULD. Yet, I am not going to do YOUR homework for you.

The only way to fully comprehend this entire issue is to read both of those threads throuyghout.

If you chose not to do such, then you cannot fully summarize the entire issue. There will always be gaps and questions in your mind.

Many of us had to do our own homework to fully understand the complexity of this issue. There is no excuse, that I can see, for you to not do the same.

In my opinion, it's the only way you will SEE the magnitude of the hypocrisy.

With all due respect, please do not sloath on this homework. It will benefit you greatly.

Happy reading to you!

Sincerely, sKally

• one
    one

SF,

The only way to fully comprehend this entire issue is to read both of those threads throuyghout.

this topic is about a particular question, if you think you know the answer i will be more than glad to hear from you and THEN follow your links just to confirm your specific answer/opinion

BTW

I think i have fully read just about every thread on this issue...

• Gedanken
    Gedanken

Heatmiser,

I think AF's analysis is the most credible. Look at it from the Writing Department's point of view. They needed to produce a semimonthly magazine largely devoted to articles of a global nature - about such things as politics, religion, geography etc. The UN library really presents a goldmine of information that can readily be converted into a typical Awake! magazine article. Here's the link:

http://www.un.org/Depts/dhl/

Assuming that the Writing Dept. is likely to take the path of least resistance then it makes perfect sense to want to use a library devoted to the kinds of issues that their magazine wants to talk about. It is much more time consuming to have to use public or university libraries - it involves considerable work to search out articles. Besides, I'm sure that the UN library would provide card holders with unrivalled interlibrary loan facilities etc. which would appeal to the WTS mentality of using "the world" to its own ends. Combining laziness with stupidity certainly makes more sense than assuming malice.

But this is in no way to excuse the WTS. If anything it makes it worse. After all, whatever the reason for their associating as an NGO, it is perfectly clear that they had to agree to advance UN interests. That they were wiling to do this for such a minor advantage speaks much. In fact, those who assume that there must have been a great, overarching reason to become an NGO is fundamentally to misunderstand the essentially trivial mindset of most JWs including the leadership. They really are the old man in the Wizard of Oz.

The WTS regularly uses the example of Esau who sold his birthright for a "swallow of the red." That is he swapped something valuable for something trivial. The WTS has esentially done the same thing - at least based on their own ideology. In fact, becoming an NGO would have been a good opportunity for them to rethink their silly doctrines and actually start to do some good in the world.

Finally, now that Awake! is going monthly it is interesting to speculate if this is due, in part, to the fact they no longer have the ready access to UN material that they once had. Presumably more work is now involved than before.

Gedanken

• Gedanken
    Gedanken

see post above

Gedanken

• one
    one

More things to consider,

To me it seem that this contract (association with the UN) was a secretive one, not even reviewd by the legal dpt, who are real loyal jw lawyers who could raise a red flag..

WT lawyers have won most cases, they are not stupid.

The UN accepted an NGO (WT) without questioning... many UN country members knew about all the WT negative publishing about the UN. All of sudden they find WT wants to be "frendly" to the UN and say "welcome"...

Hard to swallow, now they want to be friendly to a "disgusting thing", every year they signed a contract to promote the derty thing .they even spected an attack from the UN.

A typical stupidy is not planned and kept secret for so long, for 10 years they could not realize the stupidity? as Alan mentioned: "I contacted several Watchtower officials to get their take on the situation. None of them had ever heard of the Society's Associated NGO status, and were actually shocked to hear of it"

They kept the card specially after the internet made available more info that could be used to write Awake. BTW imo awake is being reduced to a monthly publication becasue the internet makes available a ton of info, awake pales in comparison.

Back to the association WT knew it was a public record so to speak, and for 10 years they exposed themselves, taking the risk to be found riding the beast just like the whore they graphically showed so many time in bed with the UN... it was more than stupidity but a calculated risk, which they though could hardly be invetisgated and exposed as it has been done (by 1992 the internet did not exist as known today) At least the WT in the past had always discarded hi negative publicity against them

One more question, what is the WT "attendance record" to UN "mettings" ?

Waht has been the WTT participations in one way or another since they became associated . ?

How many WT "researches" actually visited the UN library? Were just a few secretive "researchers"? Did they (wt reasearchers) actually write anything as a result?

Does the UN keep record of the cards? (i mean when and how they were utilized.)

More facts need to be revealed to properly answer the question presented initially on this thread." does anyone know the reason they joined to start with?"

I will give the WT the benefit of a doubt (not for the use of the card), (curiosity kills the cat?) if they became interested in knowing what was going on inside the UN by networking as NGO somehow. As a "secret" plan to destroy religion was not going to be discussed in a "public" metting in front of NGO.

Take the above for the sake of discussion if you will, remember the WT took very seriously the UN in "god's plan"... a prominent key element, how could they IGNORE it?.

Since 1975 did not do any good, so if you can't win join them...

• one
    one

btt

• one
    one

On page 55 in James Penton's book Apocolypse Delayed he mentions that the WT leaders were convicted of sedition under the American Espionage Act. Seven (including Rutherford) were sentenced to 20 years and one other was sentenced to 10 years.

FairMind

"exonerated", "dropped" or "no guilty"?, there is a differece...

"Sedition the federal crime of advocacy of uprising or overthrow against the government or support for an enemy of the nation during time of war, by speeches, publications and organization."

The WT badmouthing about the usa, other nations and the UN, could be considered sedition under some circunstances, GULF WAR etc

BTw around the 'gulf war was when they became associate to the UN and stopped badmouthing and talking abouth seven headed beasts etc

can you connect the dots... ? the more i think about it the more i beleive the WT wa forced to stop comparing nations and the UN to beast.

• TheEdge
    TheEdge

f) The NGO should have a satisfactory record of collaboration with UN Information Centres/Services or other parts of the UN System prior to association;

........just looking at the criteria and this struck me too....

AND I still would like to know what was SO important, what was achieved, that it was worth lying and compromising for?!

• TheEdge
    TheEdge

I can't read this post anymore - this is REALLY winding me up (does it show? lol) -I mean hypocricy AND lies!

http://home.comcast.net/~sonofcomfort/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-1379249.html

Sorry - this wouldn't cut and paste so you'll have to make do with the web address - I find it hard that the Society have sent out different excuses when questioned upon this - basically, this letter states :-

"...YEARS later, UNBEKNOWN to the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses, the UN published criteria for Association.........After learning of the situation our membership as NGO was withdrawn and the ID card of the writer was returned".

SO, previously they were yearly agreeing to something that didn't exist??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit