UN Scandal - does anyone know the reason they joined to start with?

by AK - Jeff 73 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

I should think the UN would be able to confirm which NGO's were using their flights in and out of Dili to Darwin during the East Timor intervention. Pope

• jgnat
    jgnat

The UN is concerned about human rights, including the right to chose your religion. They have come to the defence of the JW's facing persecution in several lands. I could see how being a recognized NGO would help the JW's to gain credibility and a voice in lands that previously had banned them.

A sampling of documents that identify the Jehovah's Witnesses by name.

www.un.org/documents/ga/docs/51/plenary/a51-542.htm (1996)

www.un.org/News/Press/docs/1997/19971112.GASH3443.html (1997)

domino.un.org/UNISPAL.NSF/0/ ecdd91d24087014a85256a9a006284f9?OpenDocument (2000)

www0.un.org/apps/sg/sgstats.asp?nid=1273 (2005, anniversary of the memorial, Auschwitz)

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am not sure if this is related:

Also today, an Indonesian military plane arrived in Dili, bringing humanitarian aid from religious groups in Indonesia. The flight was organized by the Society for Inter-Religious Dialogue, with the support of President Wahid of Indonesia, who made the airforce plane available.

http://www.un.org/peace/etimor/news/News7.html

Ummm, I don't THINK the JW's would have ANYTHING to do with this group:

http://ecumene.org/MADIA/MADIA.htm#STATEMENT

• TheEdge
    TheEdge

What I find suspect is that as soon as they were rumbled in 2001, they immediately withdrew from the UN - not the actions of someone with innocent motives and a valid reason for being a member anyway. The library card thing is rubbish, whichever way they 'sex it up'.

• one
    one

opinion 1. WT talked so bad about the UN for years and nothing happened that "somebody" requested the wt an apology and "show it" or... as their book and magazine articles were kind of direct confrontation and upsetting UN efforts worldwide..

opinion 2. After 1975 fiasco etc WT received "new light" they started, slowly, to see the UN under new light (going mainstream) imitating Mr. Amstrong, they believe they are "ambassadors".and they beleive in a world government...

Such a TOTALLY different attitude by the WT toward the UN, must be due to a totally different focus.

BTW when was the last time the WT spoke negatively about the UN? any quotes?

• tepic
  • avishai
    avishai

*** Watchtower November 15, 2001 p.19 ***

[Scan available!]

'No Calamity Will Befall Us'

[?]

14 Anointed Christians are like alien residents living in tents apart from this system of things. Not even a plague draws near their tent. Whether our hope is heavenly or earthly, we are no part of the world, and we are not infected by such spiritually deadly plagues as its immorality, materialism, false religion and worship of the 'wild beast' and it's 'image', the United Nations.

• zev
    zev
    opinion 1. WT talked so bad about the UN for years and nothing happened that "somebody" requested the wt an apology and "show it" or... as their book and magazine articles were kind of direct confrontation and upsetting UN efforts worldwide..

especially after that first email i sent the un requesting how they could allow an organization membership that spoke so horribly about them, complete with a dozen quotes or so direct from their "publications" with references, so they could check it out for themselves.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/10732/135357/post.ashx#135357

that was a hoot.

i was still "in" when i sent this.

i wasnt "in" much longer after that.

zev

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

After Zev brought this info to our attention here on JWD, I shared it with my JW brother. He said he noticed since the WT withdrew their NGO status that the little "Watching the World" statements about the UN quit. I quess they were using that area of the magazine to "promote" good things about the UN, thus in compliance with their NGO status.

• TheEdge
    TheEdge
    since the WT withdrew their NGO status that the little "Watching the World" statements about the UN quit.

That's utterly disgusting - and sneaky - of COURSE the WTBTS was promoting the UN through its literature, but clandestinely, treating the 'flock' as stupid or ignorant (a quality well promoted).

What was their explanation for the sudden withdrawal in 2001? Nothing to do with being 'found out'? lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit