UN Scandal - does anyone know the reason they joined to start with?

by AK - Jeff 73 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• TheEdge
    TheEdge

So - the excuse of joining to obtain a library card was a LIE? you would think that they'd know better!!

So what's the REAL reason for them joining?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

BTTT

Edge, it seems that no one really knows. They played games with trying to hid behind the 'library card' thing. They must have known that would not hold water. But those on the inside of the organization will generally believe any lie that Crooklyn sells them - I know I did for decades.

Some have speculated that it was to gain UN support in matters of human rights and getting the JW's into some countries where they are banned or illegal. That might be part of the puzzle -

Jeff

• one
    one

TheEdge,

So what's the REAL reason for them joining?

AK - Jeff,

Some have speculated that it was to gain UN support in matters of human rights and getting the JW's into some countries where they are banned or illegal. That might be part of the puzzle -

I think WT was FORCED (by some "superior authority" ) to quit talking badly about the UN, not only that, but possibly such superior authority asked the WT to do something positive about it,

joining as NGO was the complete answer, at the same time WT could see some benefit by becoming an NGO as "some have speculated" (not a library card of course)

Since Freddy was most likely the one who started and wrote all the biblical interpretation regarding the UN (bashing the UN), the WT waited until he died ( asked the superior authoriretes for an extension of time) to do something about it.

the above scenario is simimilar to what happened around 1918, Rutherford (he even went to jail together with a few more WT officials) was FORCED to remove some pages out of particular book he published, can't remember which book.

BTW, is the WT still bashing the 7th "world power" USA/BRIT, the lamb with "two horns", as represented by the WT,

Finding THAT out could provide a clue.as to the motives. or "reason" for joinin as NGO

Who is willing to search the WT CD?, i dont have it.

• avishai
    avishai
    I think WT was FORCED (by some "superior authority" ) to quit talking badly about the UN, not only that, but possibly such superior authority asked the WT to do something positive about it,

I think that's a bunch of hooey.

• one
    one
    I think that's a bunch of hooey.

i dont agree with you...

and if i remember your id in the future this could probably be my last reply to any post from you.

• avishai
    avishai

Fine. I DO remember YOUR I.D Your the one who told the rest of us that we are a bunch of whiners who need to just "get over it", but it was deleted.

If you can't handle people disagreeing with you why are you on a discussion board? They were still ripping on the UN as recently as 2001. They joined in 1991, so your argument hardly holds water. I.e, a bunch of hooey. I am merely disagreeing with you, but I hardly need your responses one way or the other for validation on this board or anywhere else. Respond or not as you please.

• AlanF
    AlanF

I'm quite sure that the Society's original motive in joining itself to the UN was to get a regular library card, as opposed to having to use a library pass, which is more restrictive. The library pass, as I understand it, required people to first exhaust other library resources, and then jump through some small hoops to get access to the regular UN library. The regular library card, on the other hand, allowed full and free access. The requirements for a pass were simple, whereas to get a card, a non-governmental organization needed to join itself to the UN as an "Associated NGO". So getting Associated NGO status was simply a convenience.

Nevertheless, it's quite obvious that a few Watchtower officials eventually realized the value of NGO status for getting an "in" to certain political forums. These officials addressed various political bodies during the 1990s and early 2000s, such as the European Human Rights Commission, the U.S. Congress and the Swedish Parliament (or whatever passes for that in Sweden). Other posters have pointed out other ways in which the Society used its NGO status. Thus -- and this is the key point -- Watchtower officials not only agreed to promote UN goals, but involved themselves in politics. This is gross hypocrisy.

Back to the motives for joining up: When I first learned on this board of the Watchtower's association with the UN in the fall of 2001, I contacted several Watchtower officials to get their take on the situation. None of them had ever heard of the Society's Associated NGO status, and were actually shocked to hear of it. I also phoned Ciro Aulicino to get his take on it (he was the official point man between the Society and the UN, and he was also THE researcher who regularly went to the UN library). He immediately hung up on me, saying in a rather scared voice, "I won't talk to you!" I also called Harry Peloyan, editor-in-chief of Awake! and, almost certainly, a prime behind-the-scenes mover to get the UN library card. Indeed, as editor-in-chief, Peloyan was in the perfect position to get positive articles about the UN published in Awake! beginning with the September 8, 1991 issue. Peloyan became so incensed that I had called him about this that he could hardly speak. I simply asked him to clarify the situation for me, but he immediately launched into a tirade: "You people are making a molehill out of a mountain!" He immediately realized his mistake and that made him even more unable to speak clearly. After a couple of more minutes of this tirade, he just hung up the phone without waiting for an answer. I could hardly keep from laughing. The point here is that Peloyan's rage, I'm certain, was because of the loss of easy access to the UN library, and especially the embarrassment of having to explain to any number of other Watchtower officials, who hadn't been in the know, why the Writing Department did such a stupid thing. Remember that this association was approved by Governing Body member Lloyd Barry, who was in charge of Writing until his death in 1998(?).

AlanF

• Heatmiser
    Heatmiser
    I'm quite sure that the Society's original motive in joining itself to the UN was to get a regular library card, as opposed to having to use a library pass, which is more restrictive. The library pass, as I understand it, required people to first exhaust other library resources, and then jump through some small hoops to get access to the regular UN library. The regular library card, on the other hand, allowed full and free access. The requirements for a pass were simple, whereas to get a card, a non-governmental organization needed to join itself to the UN as an "Associated NGO". So getting Associated NGO status was simply a convenience.

I still find this excuse a bunch of crap. Tell me this, what is in the UN library that you can't get anywhere else?

I am not ripping on you Alan, I have nothing but the upmost respect for you and your posts. It is the WT excuse I am ripping on.

• Heatmiser
    Heatmiser

bttt

• TheEdge
    TheEdge

BUT the Society didn't HAVE to join as an NGO to OBTAIN said library card (as I understand) - so there has to be another reason. Anyway - what has the UN library got that is sooooo important it takes 10 yaers to absorb? Is this information passed on to the ''flock''?

Another thing - the Society withdrew from the UN in 2001 - was this because the policy changed that year (UN library thing due to 9/11) OR because that's when they were exposed?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit