Quotes website receives "Cease & Desist"

by Quotes 286 Replies latest members private

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Leo,

I would imagine that you will find the answer at the following, but it's too lengthy for my consideration. If you decide to read it all, let us know what you find.

http://www.usg.edu/admin/legal/copyright/index.phtml

• Honesty
    Honesty

I'm almost positive at least one of the 3 truth-seekers will have recorded it. As soon as I get the info I'll start a thread... hum, how about "Brothers, you seem to have a problem." Oh no, that's copyrighted by DESK ECH regarding why they joined but didn't join the U.N. or maybe it's DESK ECE about why the British Museum of Natural History and the Astronomical Charts are dead wrong about Napopolassar and Nebbie II's regnal years that refute 'Ol C.T. measuring the Egyptian Pyramid for the date that Christ returned and found God's One and Only Channel for mankind. OMG.. the cat's loose now. I'll be sued again by them for my "apostate views."

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Kenneson....Well, the only discussion of Section 107 is what follows:

Comment: Section 107 is a statute within a statute. The important point about the section is that it grants rights to users and is to be interpreted accordingly. Arguably, without section 107, the 1976 Copyright Act would be unconstitutional in light of the limitations in the copyright clause on Congress' power to enact copyright legislation. Thus, without section 107, section 106(1) would give the copyright owner the absolute right to copy, which would mean that copyright could be used to inhibit rather to promote learning.

Nothing unfortunately about the length. But this is an interesting statement because the motivation of the WTS in this matter is to clearly "inhibit learning" about itself, so Section 107 is in place to limit copyright holder's powers, and it is up to us to use Section 107 to our best advantage.

• Little Red Hen
    Little Red Hen

Scully, Leo, Valis, I like the idea of PDFing this. Now, for emphasis, how bout we all call that 800 number for df/doubters and let them know that we have this saved, and they can't fight us all. Cost to us, a few moments of our time, cost to them, the long distance, jammed phone bank and the knowledge that they can't stop it. Priceless!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Here are some voluntary self-restrictions on portion length on the basis of Section 107:

Materials Length? One chapter, section, article, essay, etc. from any monograph may be placed on electronic reserve providing it meet stated restrictions of fair use. Excerpts no longer than 10% of the total work may be placed on reserves. Complete books or longer works (over 10% of the whole) will not generally be placed on reserves.

http://www.library.miami.edu/reserves/copyright.html

The amount of material should be measured both quantitatively and qualitatively. Quantity should be evaluated relative to the length of the entire work and the amount needed. The reproduction of an entire work weighs against fair use. A reproduction that is relatively small, but still uses the "heart" of the work will weigh against fair use.

http://www.library.ehc.edu/copyrightnew.html

The reserve collection may include short items (such as an article from a journal, a chapter from a book or conference proceedings, or a poem from a collected work) or excerpts from longer items. "Longer items" may include articles, chapters, poems, and other works that are of such length as to constitute a substantial portion of a book, journal, or other work of which they may be a part. "Short items" may include articles, chapters, poems, and other works of a customary length and structure as to be a small part of a book, journal, or other work, even if that work may be marketed individually.

http://www.unmc.edu/library/reserve/cpolicy.html

Amount is measured both quantitatively and qualitatively. No exact measures of allowable quantity exist in the law. Quantity must be evaluated relative to the length of the entire original and in light of the amount needed to serve a proper objective. One court has ruled that a journal article alone is an entire work; any copying of an entire work usually weighs heavily against fair use. Pictures generate serious controversies, because a user nearly always wants the full image, or the full "amount." On the other hand, a "thumbnail," low-resolution version of the image might be an acceptable "amount" to serve an education or research purpose. Motion pictures are also problematic, because even short clips may borrow the most extraordinary or creative elements. One may also reproduce only a small portion of any work, but still take "the heart of the work." This concept is a qualitative measure that may weigh against fair use.

http://www.copyright.iupui.edu/highered.htm

• kls
    kls

How can the wt say this is " copyright infringements" when they say everything they print is from the Bible and the Bible is public to anyone?

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Quotes, when/if you receive their "cease and desist" letter, just tell 'em they can "wait on Jehovah", cher.

Frannie

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

In light of especially the last statement, I think Quotes would have a more bullet-proof case if the whole articles on the site are shortened to briefer excerpts. It's a tough question, because some things are of course best read in their entirety. But if I were looking for legal weaknesses, it would seem that whole articles may be a problem if the legal precedent mentioned in the excerpt above is valid.

I don't know about images from published books and articles, though. The last statement in my last post indicates that this matter is more vague and problematic.

• gumby
    gumby
    In it Legal Dept. wrote: "You should be aware that the Watch Tower Society's publications are copyrighted material. Copyright infringement occurs when one copies and distributes copyrighted material without the copyright holder's permission. This is true even if no profit is involved."

Does the WTBTS get permission to publish copywrited material in their Watchtower magazines? The WTBTS has been publishing PARTIAL QUOTES from other sources for decades. Do you think they ask permission everytime they take excerpts from copywritten material and put it in their study articles........especially when they CONTINUALLY MISREPRESENT the authors intended purpose?

The only way these pathetic bastards can win will be in specific cases in which a host is unwilling to chance any legal fee's or troubles from the wealthy WTBTS. In that case...a new host is found.

Gumby

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

they're scared..this shows that the efforts of quotes and others are working. and ya know.. censorship has never worked for long. i'm optimistic if they shut him down it wont be for good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit