Quotes website receives "Cease & Desist"

by Quotes 286 Replies latest members private

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

Does the WTBTS get permission to publish copywrited material in their Watchtower magazines? The WTBTS has been publishing PARTIAL QUOTES from other sources for decades. Do you think they ask permission everytime they take excerpts from copywritten material and put it in their study articles........especially when they CONTINUALLY MISREPRESENT the authors intended purpose?

The only way these pathetic bastards can win will be in specific cases in which a host is unwilling to chance any legal fee's or troubles from the wealthy WTBTS. In that case...a new host is found.

'zactly. they misrepresent the narrative to prove their own wacky theories...which is in and of itself clear copyright infringement, permissions notwithstanding. now, from their own website:

they copy text from the document published by the United Nations "Convention on the Rights of the Child":

© Copyright 1997 - 2003
    Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights
    Geneva, Switzerland

---

in: "Should I Get a Tattoo?" they copy text from the World Book Encyclopedia and "Teen Magazine" and "American Demographics Magazine":

--

in: What the Big Bang Explains?What It Doesn't", they copy text from the book "The Intelligent Universe" and from "New Scientist" and "Scientific American" magazines.

(all copyrighted)

I'm sure they got permission, aren't you?

• gumby
    gumby

Alan F and a few others have written material on how the WTBTS has misrepresented sourced material they use in their publications to fit their intended agenda.

Suppose each time the society publishes in their magazines quotes from other sources, these "sources" were contacted and asked if the WTBTS asked them permission? Then, show these ones how the WTBTS has misrepresented their information.....and is making billions of dollars by recieving campaigned contributions on their magazines that contain some of their quotes?

Gumby

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Oh you also forgot they get a lot of their information from the Readers Digest. I am sure that is all copyright protected. Again it seems a little hypocritical to me, although the WT is full of hypocrisies.

Will

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Okay, I have some initial stats here...

I shreded out a total of 849 quotations from the Quotes site.

Per quotation:
    Min words: 2
    Max words: 6109
    Avg words: 291

I show only 14 quotations longer than 2500 words. The vast majority (87%) are less than 500 words. A modern Watchtower contains 400-500 words per page on average (older Watchtowers contained more), which means that a quotation of 500 words is at most 3-4% of the material. I think this safely falls into the realm of Fair Use.

We could come up with better figures if we also had the number of words (estimates would be okay) for each of the sources Quotes cites. Anyone interested in doing this? :-)

SNG

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Interesting work, seattleniceguy. There would be more of a problem, though, if articles by themselves are considered separate works. And then there is the qualitative measure, whether even a short portion reproduces the "heart" of the article. Clearly, there are many examples of extracts which contain the main argument or "meat" of the cited article.

Anyone who posts here is a lawyer who might know something about copyright law? It would really suck if the WTS has some sort of case.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints
    We could come up with better figures if we also had the number of words (estimates would be okay) for each of the sources Quotes cites. Anyone interested in doing this? :-)

simple to do by copying the text into Word and doing a word count, which would return the exact number. o0o pick me pick me

(with the owner's permission, of course!)

• Jez
    Jez

If the host is the one that is likely to be intimidated and cancel the site, my question is: Is there not an ex-JW who owns/operates as a host? Does there not exist an "ex-JW friendly" host somewhere? Like one of us?

Jez

• Quotes
    Quotes

Everyone, thanks for you advice and input, and forgive me if I don't respond to each and every one of you.

On the advice provided by a PM, I have sent an introductory email to a large non-profit group dedicated to protecting rights and freedoms on the internet. If the adivsor who suggested this is correct, they will be interested in taking up my case, assuming I am willing to come out of the shadows to fight for my rights -- AND I AM. As Jst2laws said, this is intimidation -- they don't have a case.

I won't say more at this time, as I think it is wise to keep my cards "close to my chest" for now.

As for the analysis of word counts, etc. Thanks seattleniceguy, you-da-man! It's funny this should come up today; I was up half the night last night considering options on how to move to a database back-end solution; if we had that then the answer to those questions would be a few clicks away. Right now, the site is good-old-fashioned-hand-coded-HTML (with an PERL-based HTML preprocessor to simplify the common elements).

It's funny If I keep the quotes short and pithy, then JWs will likely claim "foul" and suggest the quotes are "out of context". When I preserve plenty of surrounding material (and in some cases, as CN noted, keep the whole article for context purposes) then I'm flirting with allegations of copyright infringement. *SIGH*

~Quotes, of the "pushing back" class
    http://quotes.watchtower.ca/

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

well thats hopeful news! good luck with the non profit group!

you know you got a lotta support out here! hugs

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior
    as I think it is wise to keep my cards "close to my chest" for now.

very wise indeed. It might not hurt to take out some of the strategic planning type of stuff out of this thread or find a way to make it very hard to access because you know they'll read this (if they haven't already and then it's too late) and copy all of it. Don't want to hand their lawyers anything to read while they are cleaning the bathrooms in their free time eh?

Just a thought.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit