Quotes website receives "Cease & Desist"

by Quotes 286 Replies latest members private

• Fleur
    Fleur

Watchtower monitors: We're living in a new era. Information cannot - will not - be suppressed.

You said it, SNG!

I hate to tell you this, WTS, but the damage is already done. You cannot shut down all the sites. You can't stop the discussion boards. You can't bail fast enough to prevent the mates from seeing the holes in your boat.

We've seen the man behind the curtain, and he's not the Great and Powerful Oz. I think it's particularly sad and pathetic that they're afraid of their own words being organized and put in order for people to see. really speaks about their desire to hide past 'new light' that turned out to be the same old smoke and mirrors.

~essie

• Scully
    Scully

Valis, thanks for clarifying the steps to take to save the Quotes site offline.

Here's the dialogue box that should pop up when you click on Save Offline:

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts
    B. The Fair Use Doctrine

There are several defenses available for those who have allegedly violated copyright. Among these defenses are:

• The work is in the public domain. For example, federal documents are not afforded the protections of copyright law,
    • The copyright may be expired, or the holder may have forfeited his or her rights in the work, or
    • The copyright holder may have granted another permission to use the work.

Fair use [17] is also an exception to normal copyright legalities. It allows, in a limited manner, use of copyrighted protected materials in items for purposes of parody, news reports, comedic acts, research and education. The law considers four factors in determining if fair use is applicable as a defense. They are:

1. the purpose and character of the use, including whether use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes,
    2. the nature of the copyrighted work,
    3. the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole and
    4. the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work (emphasis added) [18].

Fair use is on a case by case basis.

• Valis
    Valis

candidly nuts had a PM..

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Reading this thread was almost as exciting as whatching Fight Club. So, who in Seattle wants to go out in "Service" this saturday. How about street witnessing down town? Do the real JW's still do that even?

This could be a Killing Ground for the WTS.

• Quotes
    Quotes

seattleniceguy: the Quotes site is currently:

Total: about 48 MB.

Breakdown as follows:

- About 19MB of scans

- 5MB is the photo/images of me at the Russel grave pyramid (http://quotes.watchtower.ca/russell_grave.htm)

- 20MB is audio (recordings of a couple talks, JRBrown's radio interview lies, etc).

- that leaves less than 5MB of actual HTML and CSS

~Quotes, of the "every sparrow will be counted" class
    (or should I say, Quotes of the "preparing for a massive bandwidth choke as everyone downloads the site" class)

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Here is an easy way to get their attention and it is not costly or require hi tech knowledge.

Remember the old method the society used on other countries etc>

A MASS MAILING!!

It only takes a few minutes of your time and about .37 cents for a stamp.

I don't want this to discourage any of the other suggestions, they are good and ought to be used.

BUT for us who might just sit and watch or don't have the money to donate, HERE is an easy way and it is effective at least in getting their attention.

This effort could also be brought to the media attention, by mailing a copy to their offices with a letter of explanation combined.

Outoftheorg my only brain storm today.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Lost reality wrote: >> This may hbave already been covered,
    >> but would it be copyright infringement
    >> if you actually used THEIR website...as in...
    >> an inline frame, with the direct link to what
    >> is said on THEIR OWN WEBSITE. Most of the material on the Quotes site is not available on the Society's web site. Some of it is very old stuff.
    I always thought it was interesting that they absolutely did not want anybody to put their CD on the internet or any other network. Why not? That seemed silly then and totally ridiculous now. Dave

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    I really think you're right Alan about just throwing in some critical commentary.

It would only slightly marr the beauty of how Quotes only lets the texts speak for themselves, but the site should then be untouchable.

Another option would be for the commentary (pro or con) to come from site viewers.... that way the "opinions" expressed are out of the control of the the site owner. my 2 cents

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Quotes,

The first thing you need to do is contact a lawyer who handles matters such as this.

The second thing you should do is bury them in paperwork and long hours of legal fees by having your lawyer request an itemized list of ever violation they are complaining about along with a reference of which law it violates.

There is NO way they can win this. They are just trying to intimidate... all you have to do is push back a bit with "fair use" claims from your lawyer and they will back off.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit