pdf's of Raymond Franz's books

by Newly Enlightened 277 Replies latest members private

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Deborah Dykstra, it says so earlier in the thread. If she's got a better offer or already given away the rights never mind. Otherwise can someone please let her know I offer $8000 for the rights to both books. I'll make sure the books are in print, even if it costs me.

No, they are not. Sure, they are for some, the big big stars ... but most people make very little if anything. You are pointing at the pinnacles of success and then saying "all people in this profession make too much".

First of all, I am not saying that "all people in the profession make too much". But the number of multi millionaires in the charts is staggering. Secondly, those who make very little are not making little because of violations of copyrights. They're simply not popular enough.

Franz has the right to leave his assets to whoever he wants. When you die do you want to leave money you earned to your children or family? Why should you be allowed to if you're dead?

We said earlier that copyrights are fair because of the investments of the maker. I hope to educate my children well enough (and I will even pay for their studies) so that they can earn money for themselves. Copyrights are not intended to leave assets to the family.

SBF:

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    1009: Copyrights are not intended to leave assets to the family.

Yes they are.

Copyright ownership extends past death.

In the States, copyright is valid for life + 70 years. Or, 95 years. ALL countries extend copyright beyond death for various periods of time.

You might think that "copyrights are not intended to leave assets to the family"...but...the rest of the world thinks otherwise.

• blondie
    blondie

Never mind, SBF.

Richard Badame

The family of Raymond and Cynthia Franz would like to thank Daniel and Debbie Dykstra. They have shown love and kindness for Ray and Cynthia, and our family can never express enough gratitude and thanks for all they have done for them in life and in death.

I found this out online. This couple treated Ray and Cynthia like parents, closer even. Made sure they got to the doctor, were eating well, their car and house kept in order. I don't think many if any of us here did even 1% of that. So if you disregard the copyright laws, you are stealing from these good friends, and taking something you don't deserve.

• Simon
    Simon
    This couple treated Ray and Cynthia like parents, closer even. Made sure they got to the doctor, were eating well, their car and house kept in order. I don't think many if any of us here did even 1% of that. So if you disregard the copyright laws, you are stealing from these good friends, and taking something you don't deserve.

If you are not well off materially but have written a book that documents a large and important part of your life you would probably want to make sure it is left in the hands of someone that you trust will care for it and also want to leave the one thing you do have for the people who treated you like family.

Disregarding those wishes for "this week's self promotion" seems low.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Simon: Disregarding those wishes for "this week's self promotion" seems low.

It is low. And ignorant and disrespectful.

This recent fiasco of copyright violation by an exJW does far more to harm the exJW "community" than not making the book available would. It disrespects the Franz's wishes and disrespects those who Ray named as custodians of his contribution to the world.

The book is available - there are many copies that belong to public libraries and the book can be borrowed from those systems. For free.

I think it is reprehensible that Ray's book has been bootlegged. And that there are people who defend that illegal action.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Can anyone help me get in touch with Deborah Dykstra? I would like to offer to buy the rights from her and get the books back into print again.
  • blondie
    blondie
    Simon, they are not promoting themselves....they never have. I just want people to know they are real people like you and I. I'm sorry now I even said something; I'm disappointed that you would drag this through the mud.
  • blondie
    blondie

How long does a copyright last?For works published after 1977, the copyright lasts for the life of the author plus 70 years. However, if the work is a work for hire (that is, the work is done in the course of employment or has been specifically commissioned) or is published anonymously or under a pseudonym, the copyright lasts between 95 and 120 years, depending on the date the work is published.All works published in the United States before 1923 are in the public domain. Works published after 1922, but before 1978 are protected for 95 years from the date of publication. If the work was created, but not published, before 1978, the copyright lasts for the life of the author plus 70 years. However, even if the author died over 70 years ago, the copyright in an unpublished work lasts until December 31, 2002. And if such a work is published before December 31, 2002, the copyright will last until December 31, 2047. - See more at: http://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/faqs/copyright-basics/#sthash.UUMsy8xN.dpuf

http://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/copyright-research/ownership-and-transfers/

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

When a person wants to better understand a subject, they can either seek out reliable information on the subject OR they can pull an explanation out of their ASS, as Cedars and Jonathan Drake have demonstrated.

They seem to be focused on MONEY, and it might well be said that COPYRIGHT LAW does not pivot around money, but pivots around the concept of a creator's ownership of the thing they have created.

Ray Franz created several books. How those books are distributed is for Ray Franz or his heirs to determine -- NO ONE ELSE.

Once a copyright is issued it is in effect until the expiration of its term. It is a LEGAL concept, not a stupid metaphysical concept. "Phased copyright" - is that from Studies In The Scriptures? A copyright that "exists, yet does not exist, yet shall exist again"... geez!

One easy way for the Dykstras to make Ray's books available for as long as anyone wanted to buy them would be to put the books on LULU.COM. LULU handles all the work and sends the owner a royalty check four times a year. But some people don't like the EASy way and prefer to get a second mortgage and fill their garage with books that they hope to sell someday. That's the route Ray Franz took because LULU.COM did not exist when Ray wrote his books.

Pirates, gypsies, tramps and thieves are always looking for a way to pump up their image or otherwise profit from work someone else has done, and they can spin pretzel-logic faux-legalistic-arguments about why their theft is a noble thing.

If you are going to be a fucking thief and steal from people you CLAIM to respect, try to find the balls to say, "...and I don't care what you think." Then when you - or your generous friend - are convicted of copyright infringement, that far-off sound of applause you hear will be us, saying, "It serves the SOB right."

Send us a card from Gehenna, won't you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit