WTS Addresses Child Abuse - er, kind of...

by iiz2cool 139 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

It's sad, that any of this abuse crap regardless of religious affiliation and connotation happens at all, but sadly enough it does.

It would seem to me, that most people of other religious upbringings would confront this head-on, and contact the authorities.

Jdubs, sure...admonish a young one to say something along the lines: 'stop or I'm going to tell'. Tell who? Elders? We've all heard testimonials galore about how useful that was. Ugh!

Pray to Casper? It'll have about as much good.

As I have indicated before, chances more often than not, in the Jdub world, the child would be in a precarious position no matter what.

Wait on Jehovah?

Anyone care to follow-up on that line?

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Has anyone sent those Scans or those Quotes to SilentLambs yet? If not, I highly recommend e-mailing them to Bill Bowen at [email protected]

I am shocked and stunned by those statements, and I am going to try to comment more soon.

For now, I thought I would highlight this one statement from the new "Great Teacher" Book:

some grown-ups like to have sex with children. When they do, boys and girls may begin to do bad things that they have learned from these grown-ups. They also begin to use their sex organs in a wrong way.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Thanks for the suggestion. I just sent them.

Walter

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    Telling a child that "God" will protect them in times such as the situations described above IS WRONG. Telling them this implies for them that "God" will directly intervene when a sexual attack occurs.

Magneto, I can tell you first hand that this is EXACTLY what happens. This is EXACTLY what I went through. The result? It lowered my self-esteem. It lowered my confidence. I'm still struggling with this issue today.

But, I believe the WORST yes the WORST thing they did was advise children without consulting a therapist on exactly what and how to write that information.

Sheila: Excellent point. A therapist would never say "some grown-ups like to have sex with children. When they do, boys and girls may start to do bad things that they have learned from these grown-ups. They also begin to use their sex organs in a wrong way."

joe_from_kokomo: You made an excellent statement to SOJ. I can only hope he reads it.

Wait on Jehovah?
    Anyone care to follow-up on that line?

Yeah, I'm still waiting.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

OH MY GAWD!!!!!!!!!!! I am horrifed by the quote from undisfellowshipped, from the new book. I am so glad that you brought this to my attention as it makes me so glad that I got out of that sick cult.

When I read that, it clearly focusing on children doing "bad things" that the adult taught them. They are putting the blame for a child , as usual. I would like to see more of what this book is saying, do they ever say how evil it is for an adult to do these things to a child? They are doing nothing short of brainwashing and setting the pattern for a life of guilt and shame for children, especially the ones who are or have been abused. Errrrrrrrrrr, I just don't understand what the hell is wrong with the WT , I am seeing that they are seriously deranged and evil.

• dedalus
    dedalus

Undisfellowshipped's quote demonstrates the utter perversity of this material.

Dedalus

• logansrun
    logansrun

SheilaM,

Okay, okay...I'm being pedantic with your statment . The Society will quote from "worldly" sources on occassion and may have inquired from psychologists on how to handle this sensative matter. I've been to the Gilead library and there are rows upon rows of "worldly" publications including books by non-JW Bible scholars, Darwin's Origin of Species and a self-help book by Norman Vincent Peale! (I was floored when I saw that!) So, it's entirely possible that the Society did use some information from proffessionals in the writing of this publication.

Of course that doesn't mean they wouldn't pick and choose what they want to print. It also is no guarantee that they didn't get advice from bad psychologists. I saw a self-help book by Dr. James Dobson of "Focus on the Family" fame and was appalled at the ludicrous drivel which puncuated the good advice found in the book. (Dobson is an evangelical Christian psychologist, btw)

So, all in all, I'm being nit-pickey. I just like to be as accurate as possible in any polemic against the dubs.

Pettygrudger -- good comments and I agree with your assesment.

Bradley

• Gerard
    Gerard

What's pathetic is that the Watchtower claims "Silver and Gold awards" for similar documents!

• core
    core
    Does anything satisfy you people? This book will help open a channel of communication between parent and child. I know you all think that you are the best parents in the world, but the truth is, that most parents do not discuss these private matters with their children. They allow the schools or their classmates educate them. Of course they are misinformed. It IS the parents responsability to warn their children about these sexual predators.

Sword of Jah

Excuse me but I know nothing about you and any family you have. What would satisfy me is when the WTS recognises that abuse has happened because of the 'authority' and 'spirit appointing' of some individuals who are to be trusted, trusted, and more trusted.

I do not think I am one of the best parents in the world but I do know that 'dialogue' as you describe it is not helped by this mealy mouthed publication - see above re how children are made to feelguilt if they are abuse victims.

It would help if the wts WARNED PEOPLE IN CONGREGATIONS RE PROVEN ABUSERS - DOES THIS HAPPEN ? i CAN ASSURE YOU IT DOES NOT - no this is not a rant at the 2 witness rule, at the secret databases held at Branch Offices - my point is very simple so hopefully you can understand it - why bother putting dross in books when REAL DANGERS with REAL KNOWN INDIVIDUALS is hushed up and victims are threatened if they dare tell others who was involved. For the record let me assure you that I am sure many accused individuals are not guilty - but when they are YOUR RELIGION protects them

YES I AM ANGRY AND NOT PREPARED TO BE PATRONISED

• ARoarer
    ARoarer

SOJ, you are in the typical JW Bubble in your thinking. In this new publication it clearly misrepresents what the reality of the situation is with victims of sexual abuse by these protected perverts. They are threatened in so many ways that it is extremely difficult for a small child to go to anyone sometimes for many years. Physical threats, and psychological threats are what these victims face, and they usually are not confidently standing in front of the molester saying stop or I will tell.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit