WTS Addresses Child Abuse - er, kind of...

by iiz2cool 139 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• willyloman
    willyloman

Sitting here fascinated by all the comments and heartfelt expressions on this thread, reminding me of why I have been so intrigued with this site for the past year or two. Somebody raises an issue, several others pile on, and in the end the truth emerges. Just terrific.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I have sent the book to a therapist in Germany who is experienced in cults.

I always try to be as fair as possible with the WTS, trying tp avoid black/white-thinking. But this "children's book" is rubbish.

I hate the link between sexuality and demons they put into the mind of innocent children that will hardly develop a healthy sexuality.

Have you also noticed the manipulative picture on 160? A boy standing in front of the class, his classmates with birtday presents pointing with their fingers on him. "When could you experience something similar like Peter?"

This will be burnt into the mind of the children to become martyrs. Martyrs for nothing. Even most JW do not feel comfortable explaining why they do not celebrate birthdays. Oh, no, it is not forbidden, they just do not want to because they read it in the Bible... Come on. Who really believes this stuff??? I am so happy that I can keep my children away from this book.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Zeena1998,

Here are links to all the facts about the Watchtower's "Two-Witness Rule":

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/8/39906/1.ashx

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/35547/1.ashx

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/8/50749/1.ashx

Also, be sure to visit http://www.SilentLambs.org

It is really horrible how the Watchtower Society teaches, when it comes to child abuse, that you should just "wait on Jehovah" or "Jehovah will undo all the damage" or "Jehovah will protect you from being molested".

I think everyone should ask these questions to the Jehovah's Witnesses:

If a child is in the street, should you (a) try your best to get the child to safety or (b) do nothing and "wait on Jehovah" because "Jehovah will protect the child" or "Jehovah can undo the damage"?

If a child is really sick, should you (a) take your child to the doctor or hospital or (b) do nothing and "wait on Jehovah" because "Jehovah will protect the child" or "Jehovah can undo the damage"?

If your house is on fire, should you (a) call the Fire Department and evacuate or (b) do nothing and "wait on Jehovah" because "Jehovah will protect you" or "Jehovah can undo the damage"?

If your child has been molested by a Jehovah's Witness, should you (a) call the police, report the molester to the authorities, and get the child away from danger, or (b) do nothing and "wait on Jehovah" because "Jehovah will protect you" or "Jehovah can undo the damage"?

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I have to make some comments on the children's book since I was able to flip through the thing last night. There was one chapter that stood out in particular. It was the chapter on not being first. Basically the chapter was discouraging children from being leaders, and "being like a slave" to others who take the lead. Now, compare this with the chapter on sexual abuse. The child has been taught from the previous chapter to "be like a slave" when someone else is taking the lead. Now, the child is supposed to take the lead and tell the abuser "stop or I will tell"?

Another chapter that really pissed me off was the one on fighting. The chapter basically described how you should walk away from someone trying to pick a fight with you. The book said a child may push you a couple of times, but that will probably be all. Probably? I tried this strategy in junior high, and there was no probably. I was beaten up every day because I turned away and waited on Jehovah, meanwhile my emotional health was taking a horrible beating.

This book is absolutely ****ing terrible for tearing down a child's confidence in himself. There are lots of chapters previous to the child abuse chapter that work on discouraging the child from being confident. How the hell is a child supposed to stand up to a child molester if he/she can't stand up for his/herself in other situations?

• zeena1998
    zeena1998

Undisfellowshiped,

Thank you so much for the reply. Very informative and very very scary, and that's only after reading ONE of the links that you put it! I find it hard to fathom that such drivel exists. I cannot find the words to properly convey the absolute abhorance that I have for their doctrine and the effect it has on its members. SICK SICK AND MORE SICK!! I could go on and on about it but it would only be venting based on nothing but my gut reaction...

I'm curious to know if there is anything that a "wordly" person can do to help change all of this? Whatever it takes to protect the children...I'M IN!!!!!!!!

Again, thanks for the reply.

Andie

• badolputtytat
    badolputtytat

iiz2cool

Thank you a lot for posting this... .you just aswered something that has been after me for 27 years... since I was four years old I have had this horrible and vivid nightmare of a "lion devouring me"... very grotesque... very real... very often. I have suffered insomnia since I was about 6 (horribly)... now I know where it came from...

Does anyone know if this analogy was used alot? I have to admit I have "mentally blocked" alot of my childhood with the JWs. I can remember as far back as infancy... but the years between that and my "escape" are very blurred.... except this nightmare! The dream is always the same... always vivid... a lion rips my legs and torso apart.... perhaps it is the reason for my affinity with cats... trying to settle with the "beast" or something.

I have to know though... anyone else know if this analogy is an often quoted thing?

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

I showed page 170 and 171 of this book to a therapist I know to get her opinion.

I did not ask if I could quote her on the Internet, so I will not give her name. (I should have asked, but I was a little nervous.)

I will tell you a little about her (the therapist): She is a well respected member of the community and runs a moderate size local not-for-profit organization that cares for children in the community who have been abused, have been through trauma or have other needs for support. She and her organization also work with parents, couples and individuals. In her separate, private practice, she also sees numerous children and adults who have been abused, and has been in private practice since 1977.

I asked her to review the material because while I thought it was terrible, I very much wanted a professional opinion because I have many biases against the WTBTS.

After reading the first complete paragraph on page 170, she said, “But God doesn’t always protect His children.”

After reading the second paragraph she noted how they made a big deal over ‘the opposite sex’ when defining correct adult sex.

After reading the third paragraph, she said, “This is totally inappropriate as it implies that the little kid is going to turn into a pervert or something. Not good at all.”

After reading the fourth paragraph, she look disgusted about many things but only said, “Interesting how they keep tying Satan and demons into the whole thing,” (shaking her head.) She said it was very good that it says clearly that the abuse is wrong. (the last sentence on page 170.)

She said nothing at all about the first paragraph on page 171.

Regarding the second paragraph on 171, she said, “Many, many 5- or 6-year-olds simply cannot say, ‘stop that!’” Some would be able to do this, but many cannot. Especially if it is their father or someone very close to them that they love.” Then she said, “It is good that it says the child should tell on the abuser no matter what."

When she was done reading she mentioned again that she was very disturbed by the third paragraph on page 170, and handed the scans back to me.

I asked her if a child had been abused and then read this if it would make the child feel that the abuse was their own fault and she said, “Exactly!”

I asked her if all in all she agreed that these pages were inappropriate for children and she said, “Absolutely! Totally inappropriate!”

I thanked her for her time, and that was that.

What do you think?

-LisaBObeesa

• Pyrohectic
    Pyrohectic

Did the therapist give any suggestions on how it *should* read?

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Pyrohectic,

No, she didn't, but I didn't ask that question. She did say she would try to find a book that was appropriate for children to show me at a later date. (All she had on hand was a book for children that was for use in actual therapy.)

I have another contact who is a professional dealing with children and these issues. I am going to ask her to review the scans too, as soon as I can contact her. I will ask her to please let me know what she feels is good or the pages from the Great Teacher book, what she feels is wrong on the pages, and what she feels is missing from the pages.

-LisaBObeesa

• Bonnie
    Bonnie

I am new to this site...Im not sure how much I want to speak about on this issue at the mo....

I was sexually, physically and mentally abused by my step father for 14 yrs...elders were involved ( in fact my SF was an elder at the time too...)...at one stage an elder asked me if I had encouraged it and what kind of underwear did I wear??...This was in 1979....(incidently my mother bought me my underwear out of BHS......very decent).

I used to pray that my abuser would die....kill himself...crash the car or just disappear.I left school did the right thing..pioneered...still got abused...went out in the service and painted a smile on my face...yet my heart broke...where was Jehovah then???? I have just read the pages on the GT book...I'm gutted...I intend to get a book from my mother who is a JW and discuss this with her.

I understand this subject is very delicate...and some things said in the book were ok...but it is written very clinically....and so judgemental.........these people have no idea how screwed up it leaves the victims. Incidently my abuser committed suicide 14 yrs ago....too late... My biggest regret and always will be is that I wish I had killed him myself....I only found out a few months ago that he abused one of my bible studies after I had (escaped home to pioneer where the need was greater.).This girl was left traumatised and is now a recovering Heroin addict.

I have learned that there is no cure to this problem of abuse but that through education it can be avoided.....the WTBTS haven't a clue....and there is no excuse for that either ... ( theres so many books and professionals who could have helped with the chapter in the GT book.)......they need to "get real"..if they are going to give advice on topics they have no clue about then get the info from the right sources....I'm just disgusted by the whole thing......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit