WTS Addresses Child Abuse - er, kind of...

by iiz2cool 139 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• dedalus
    dedalus

This is one sick and twisted little book.

Dedalus

• Angharad
    Angharad
    This is one sick and twisted little book.

I agree dedalus, we got a copy this weekend and have been flicking through it. It designed for 6 years and up, I have a six year old and in my opinion it is to graphic on a lot of the sexual stuff.

Also there is a lot of guilt trips being put on the kids on many different subjects

• amac
    amac

I'm afraid I have to agree with SOJ. This book is not a book about protecting yourself from child molesters, so of course the advice they throw in is going to be very general. I agree with the absurdness of referencing the account of Lot...but it's a friggin "Bible-based religion" for crying out loud! In their minds, they have to try to tie in the bible somehow.

I am glad they put this in their book, it might help some families discuss and prepare for this more. I know personally I won't be using it with my children, but for some families it may help.

Quit harping on them for the sake of harping on them.

• dedalus
    dedalus

Amac,

Do you have a penis or a vulva?

All kidding aside, I recognize that the advice about some of the stuff is sound. What is utterly sick and twisted, however, is putting the child's genitals in the middle of a great big tug-and-war between Jah and Satan.

Scary stuff. Even scarier when the child does tell on a molester, only to be told he or she needs at least two witnesses to the molestation.

Dedalus

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

sdfsdfsdfasds

• mizpah
    mizpah

Since the parents subject themselves to the judgment of the Watchtower Society and the elders, doesn't it seem logical that the Society and elders have the ultimate responsiblity to report cases of sexual abuse of children to the proper authorities? In the past, it is obvious that the counsel that parents received was to NOT report it. The motive, undoubtedly, was to prevent "bringing reproach upon God's organization." But the moral reponsiblity was, first and foremost, to protect the children.

It is apparent that the Society has finally reacted to all the bad publicity by writing articles in the Watchtower and by including segments at the assemblies. But many feel it is "too little, too late" for the damage that has been done. And one has to wonder whether this effort has been to create a false image that the Watchtower has always been at the forefront on this issue when, in fact, the problem has been ongoing for many years.

It is apparent from what has happened that the Watchtower Society was more interested in protecting its assets than protecting its young innocent members.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

ignore the above, somethings gone dreadfully wrong!

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Pleasuredome, I thought you were just sending a cool cryptic message to us all!

As for "harping on them for the sake of harping on them" -- NO, that's NOT what we're doing. A great many of us who are responding have either been abused or know someone who has, so we are very sensitive to terminology and the way things are presented about child abuse. The way this part of the book is written is very detrimental for a child. They will absorb negative images about themselves. They are not being told WHERE to go with their information. They are very subtly being told THEY are bad if it happens to them.

I think the Writing Committee should stick to things they know about -- like "new light" on old prophecies. Somebody should get them busy re-interpreting Matthew 24 so they'll stay away from messing with kids' minds. They are not qualified. It would be like me writing a book about how to build an airplane -- I could try, but it wouldn't fly!

Nina

• glitter
    glitter

This is appalling. "Worldly" advice for children *never* speaks in such an explicit way - "the areas that are covered by your swimsuit" explains things on a level kids can understand without being disturbing about it.

"I will tell on you!" WHO?!!!! The WT could say "it's up to parents to advise their children", but the majority of kids who abused are abused by a parent or relatve! JW kids who are being abused NOW will read this book, they won't have their parents telling them who to tell!

"Worldly" advice would be "tell a relative, a neighbour, a friend's parent, your teacher, your teacher's assistant, your babysitter, the school nurse, Child Line, the police, ANY adult you can trust, and keep on telling until s/he is punished" they don't say who to tell or what will happen to the abuser when they do - they don't even say to tell an elder!

I would really like to get a copy of the book to show my mum (about 50% out and inactive) - I might have blown my chance to get from the only elder she is still in touch with though, as I mentioned the book a week before he would have got it at last weekend's assembly - he's going to be wondering *how* I knew about it...

• be wise
    be wise

If the Watchtower does nothing to educate and protect children, you criticize

It’s the way the issue has been dealt with by the society that I PERSONALLY have a problem with – just read the elders letters on www.dirtclod.com

Sword - ...if they publish straight-forward advice like this…

So just as Jesus needed protection, you also need to be protected from grown-ups-and even from other children-who may try to have sex with you. Usually these people will pretend to be your friends.

…then you also criticize

Ever wonder why?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit