Growing up a gay Jehovah's Witness (My Life Story)

by m0nk3y 263 Replies latest jw experiences

• AlanF
    AlanF

Keep on the road you're going, NG, and you'll make it completely out of the two-category schtick.

AlanF

• northern girl
    northern girl

Alan or do you prefer O Great Wise One.

• AlanF
    AlanF

The latter, of course. We make quite a pair.

AlanF

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

Hello Josh,

It took a great deal of courage for you to share your story with us.

I was disfellowshipped about 17 years ago for disagreeing with the elders.

I recall an elder making a horrible statement during one of our book studies. We were discussing plagues and he said gay people were disgusting and diserved to get Aids. His opinion made me absolutely sick to my stomach. Actually his comment for the very first step to me leaving the Organiztion; it showed so clearly the absolute lack of love this religion had

Fortunately, I had learned about Jesus Christ as a young child. Jesus wouldn't have said something like that.

I believe our Father loves you so much! You can't begin to comprehend this love because you've seen so little of it in the religion you were raised with.

Please don't give up on God. He is about PEOPLE, not Religion. I don't even know you and I feel so much love for you. God's love is so much greater. I hope you won't stop praying. He does answer our prayers but we have learn to listen.

-Ohio

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Josh: That took great courage. You have a wonderful Mum and the elders and dubs in your hall suck.

• m0nk3y
    m0nk3y

Ok this is all very overwhelming. I want to make sure I convey exactly the things that I want to say here.

Firstly I would like to say that by posting my story was in no way asking for or wanting sympathy, the main reason I wanted to post it was because I want people I talk to on a day to day basis to understand the inner workings of myself. The 2 nd reason was because I wanted some on here that are otherwise inclined to get a positive, direct and raw insight on exactly what people have to go through to be true to themselves when they are gay. Thirdly I want to help other people gay/lesbian/transgender/straight to relate and gather strength from my strength. The reasons are all 100% important to me, despite them being place in a particular order does not mean that they are of lesser importance than the reason above them.

I have been using the internet and chat for at least half of my lifetime so I am very familiar with it. So let me be the first it saying how ridiculous it is to be offended by me sharing northern girls Message to me. The reason why it’s ridiculous is because PM’s are a way of communicating something to one person without having to discuss it with another person. For example, if my friend Vanessa rang me on the phone or was to come and talk to me at home while everyone else was busy doing something and told me such and such, wouldn’t I be able to convey that message to my boyfriend or whoever else ? On the other hand if Vanessa was to say to me I’m telling you this but I would like for you not to mention it to anyone the matter would be different again. To compare a PM with a Priests use of information is stupid !

I have received many PM’s on this site that are particularly personal and private and are said as such, I wouldn’t even dream of sharing even a small portion of them with anyone else. I think that the idea of ALL PM’s being private and secret comes from to many of you bitching about other people on this site in secret, which is fine with me, bitch all you like but for god sake don’t try and compare it.

I felt it was important to show this message of northern girls because of my above reasons for posting my story in the first place. I, as a gay man have had many people like northern girl talk to me separated from other people and tell me their harsh view of me .. It’s very disheartening and difficult to deal with .. Especially when your weak and new to expressing how you feel. It’s important that I show this to other people that might just be coming to terms with being “out” because it can have such a negative effect that you feel that the feelings and thoughts of these type of people are what to expect from most people, when in fact it’s the opposite which this thread thanks to me posting it and northern girls PM have shown.

I would also like to point out this which I cut and pasted directly from the terms of use above ..

4. You acknowledge that communications to or with bulletin board services, chat areas, news groups, forums, communities and/or other message or communication facilities are not private communications, therefore others may read your communications without your knowledge. You should always use caution when providing any personal information about yourself or your family.

Although I WOULD NOT share anything sombody told me in confidence in PM unless of course the situation was extreme to the point of being a police matter.

Monk3y

I thank the rest of you for your heartfelt thoughts, it is much appreciated.

• m0nk3y
    m0nk3y

Sphere you are an amazing person!! To take the difficult situation that you have been in and to do somthing positive with it is completely inspiring to me. You obviously have a very kind and generous heart.

I remember a conversation I had with an elder’s wife. I wanted to know why some people were gay. She said, “It’s because they dwell on immoral thoughts”. And so I asked her “How do you keep yourself from thinking about other women”. She literally gasped and said firmly and loudly “I have never had immoral thoughts about another women!” And so I asked her “How does Ed (her elder hubby) keep from fantasizing about other men? She just spluttered.

This made me laugh, people liket his just don't get it. Perhaps if they actually campared what they were saying with their own situation they might start to grasp it.

It is not a choice, if it was my ex would have changed and so would the great majority of others. No one chooses to be a minority that is so tromped upon. It happens in about ten percent of the population, the same as in the animal kingdom.

Your ex obviously choose you in the first place because of your beautiful nature, if sexuality was choice I have no doubt at all he would be straight and with you.

Thank you.

Josh

• myself
    myself

Josh, I just read your post. It was very moving. I hope things with your mom will eventually move back towards the once close relationship you had with her. She is in a relationship that is fairly new to her and that can be consuming in itself. It sounds like you have found happiness at last. Thank you for not deleting your post, it has a personal message to it, it speaks of the person who almost gave up life, but who discovered his own stregnth to move on no matter what.

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

I generally only make one comment to any post but felt it necessary to say one more thing.

Northern Girl, You seem to feel you are righteous in preaching to everyone here on the board. I realize it's very difficult breaking the Old JW Mindset and hope you will listen with an open mind.

It might be helpful if you read about the life of Jesus Christ. That's what really counts. Show us where Jesus would have rejected someone like Josh who came to him begging for understanding.

Jesus ended the Mosaic law. He didn't set up another set of rules and regulations for us.

The only requirement was that we are to love our God with our whole soul and our whole heart and we love our neighbor as ourselves. How difficult can that be to understand?

His followers did the best they could after his death. The Scriptures were written by these imperfect followers. The Scriptures are a guide; NOT A RULE BOOK.

Yes, the Bible is beneficial for teaching, reproving, etc BUT we must ALWAYS ask ourselves "What Would Jesus Do?"

What dlo you think?

• northern girl
    northern girl

Loveroftruth : Replacing the Mosaic Law was .... judge no one concerning the sabbath and abstain from blood.

The scriptures were writen by these imperfect men ( inspired by God).

We usually don't have to ask ourselves what Jesus would do because he tells us in scripture.

If I sound preachy, don't read what I write.

northern girl.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit