Growing up a gay Jehovah's Witness (My Life Story)

by m0nk3y 263 Replies latest jw experiences

• SheilaM
    SheilaM
    Ravyn : I'd email you except there really isn't any privacy anyway since monkey published my email to him without my knowledge OR consent.

He doesn't need your consent it's an e-mail you gave up all rights by clicking send. Your comments are not very nice.

• northern girl
    northern girl

SheilaM : I've never professed to be nice so my comments should reflect that.

Common decency prohibits most thinking adults to not post private emails.

northern girl

• waiting
    waiting

Hello Josh,

I read the first page..........and the last. My father was a homosexual (violent & angry), my favorite aunt (brilliant, funny & cruel), and my son (brilliant, funny & great). My father & aunt kept their lives secret mostly - my son chooses not to. However, he lives in a different generation of thinking & acceptance.

So, I have some background with y'all.

As a jw mother? It was terribly hard to reconcile love for your child, love of God, & obedience to what we considered God's Organization. I also wanted Everlasting Life for my son.....and knew (as a jw) - it wouldn't be granted to him if he acted on his gay tendencies. Actually, it broke my heart for quite a few years.

He moved out & went to college - and we didn't speak for quite some time. We finally came to the conclusion our relationship was worth not giving up. So we had lunch every two weeks - and spoke about everything but gays & religion. We sent each other joke cards for no reason. It worked - our relationship survived by diligent effort on our part to not take ourselves so seriously.

Then I left the jw's (long after he left) - and now? I've decided it's not in my private realm to judge others for their lifestyles for the most part (criminals are still criminals imho).

I appreciate your sharing your feelings - I'm sure my son's were quite the same.

Take care.

waiting

waiting

• waiting
    waiting

northern girl

Just saw this above. Don't know what's been going on the pages before this.........but I agree fully.

On the one hand, we're advised when we have strong differing opinions...."take it to email." Well, sometimes arguments ensue, and then smoothed out....in private emails.

But if one of the persons then publishes the other's private email.....or holds onto it for a year or so.....then posts it.........it ALWAYS causes problems. Particularily if the publisher *cuts & paste* what they want to make their point.

There is a reason it's called PRIVATE EMAILS. Keep it private.

• waiting
    waiting

Btw............(now I'm actually reading this odd thread)..............

SEVERAL mainstream Christian religions do not accept *active* gays within their congregation. I don't personally agree.........but that's the way it is - they maintain their version of the biblical view.

I show my disagreement by not joining those organizations......but jw's are not alone in their stance. JW's just have a knack for taking their stance to craziness.

waiting

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

((((((((((((((Josh))))))))))))))

You are a strong man with a lot to be proud of! As much water as there is under the bridge, I'd say your mother did a good job raising you, even with the pain that you experienced in that relationship. You are a good man!

Andi

• Jessica Rabbit
    Jessica Rabbit

Hi Josh,
    I read your story and wanted to let you know how much it made me think. Sometimes we hate because we are taught to hate by our parents and religious leaders. You have opened my eyes to the human side of this. It breaks my heart to know how ill you became over this. It is hard enough being a JW because already we are told we must be seperate from the world, but to have desires in you that you could not deny must have been devastating for you. To be harshly judged by other imperfect humans makes me so angry. I haven't always prayed. When I first left and was df'd I wanted nothing to do with God or the bible. I felt just like you when you said you were just waiting for Jehovah to destroy you at Armageddon. I was partying my butt off saying "at least I'll die happy." I am trying to figure out God now. It is not easy. If Jesus did exist and he did really die to cover all of our sins, then I think the only thing he expects from us is to LOVE. It is an honor to know you.
    Love,
    JR

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

SheilaM : I've never professed to be nice so my comments should reflect that.

You almost boast about not being a nice girl. And then you preach to Monkey about "common decency"??? Uh...yeah...I'll take you seriously.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

The contents of the PM are the issue. Josh still hurts bad about what happened to him, and he wrote this thread to get some perspective and a little comfort. And then, NG, in a very unsentimental PM, hurts Josh, demeans all the pain he's been through. She tells him he needs a reality check. WHAT!?!?!?!

Why don't you tell that to an abuse survivor and see what you get?

If she didn't have anything nice to say, then.....

Not only would I have posted the PM, but denigrated her until the sun came home.

ash

• northern girl
    northern girl

You don't have to be 'nice' to have common decency ...

This is an abuse survivor talking and you don't hear me asking anyone to pass the cheese.

nerthern girl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit