The new book for children.

by dmouse 69 Replies latest jw friends

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

Yes, it was in Mankind's Search for God.

• Aztec
    Aztec

The Aztecs are so misunderstood. It's not as if they spent all their time ripping people's hearts out...

~Aztec

• rocketman
    rocketman

Yep, it was Mankind's Search for God. I wish I could give a page #, but I don't have the book now. I did some recycling two weeks ago. Hardbound books must be taken to the local recycling center.

Actually, in reference to Gumby's post: The Bible itself does indeed contain many accounts of violence, and Jesus had a hand in much of it. If he is indeed the "angel" that went ahead of Israel, then he was directly involved in the destruction of the Canaanites.(Exodus 23:20, 23) Some might contend that the angel spoken of in those verses is not Jesus. Okay, but at the very least, as Gumby said, Jesus was at his Father's side when the whole thing went down, and of course he's been at his Father's side (or, part of the Godhead) throughout the ages.

In the NT, a reading of 2 Thessalonians 1:6-9 (NWT) shows Jesus being revealed " in a flaming fire, as he brings vengeance upon those who do not know God and who do not obey the good news about our Lord Jesus. These very ones will undergo the judicial punishment of everlasting destruction from before the Lord and from the glory of his strength".

Also, there's the depiction of warfare at Revelation 19:11-16, and it's Jesus, "The Word of God" who is leading the charge that ends in the birds eating the flesh of all those killed by him (Rev 19:17,18).

So Gumby raises relevant and important questions. How indeed does any Christian understand these passages? I struggle with them myself, though I don't come across as a "believer" or a Christian in the full sense, I do try to read and apply the scriptures. However, I am left with many questions, and frankly I am distrubed deeply at what I read in passages such as the ones just mentioned.

Actually, this topic is probably worth another thread.

• dedalus
    dedalus
    So Gumby raises relevant and important questions. How indeed does any Christian understand these passages? I struggle with them myself, though I don't come across as a "believer" or a Christian in the full sense, I do try to read and apply the scriptures.

I understand the "read" part, but I don't understand why "apply" must necessarily follow. Reading and applying those scriptures (the ones about violence, punishment, vengeance, etc.) is just as sensible as reading and applying Thucydides' account of the Peloponnesian War, or the ancient Greek myths surrounding it. There are "lessons" in everything, if you want to invent them. Why people fixate so doggedly on the Bible is bewildering to me -- I guess it's just because everyone else always has. There are other historical and mythological texts that are rich, literary, and complicated, and yet go unregarded by believers who have latched onto this particular collection of historical and mythological texts instead.

I think we're off topic.

Dedalus

• dmouse
    dmouse

Oh yeah, you mean this one:

Page 11 of 'Mankind's Search For God'

• rocketman
    rocketman

A yes, dmouse....that's the one!

Dedalus, good comments. Maybe "apply" was not the best word to use in regard to the scriptures I quoted. But anyway, even reading them brings up troubling images in one's mind, and I really do think that Gumby's question was very thought-provoking. My point was that anyone who takes the bible with a degree of seriousness will come across such troubling accounts.

Many people think Jesus would never do such things, as was mentioned earlier, and Gumby responded to that; and the simple fact is, if one believes the whole Jesus story as written in the Bible, then they are going to come across scriptures that mention him doing pretty much what's depicted in that jw children's book. Is it right to tell that to kids? I don't think it is - I disagree with their putting a drawing like that in a kid's book. But, what they are trying to do is convey their idea of what Jesus is going to do - and the Bible does talk about him destroying God's enemies.

Another scripture that shows Jesus in a not-so-nice mood is Luke 19:27. After giving the parable of the ten minas, Jesus said, in reference to himself: "Moreover, these enemies of mine that did not want me to become king over them bring here and slaughter them before me".

• gumby
    gumby
    There are other historical and mythological texts that are rich, literary, and complicated, and yet go unregarded by believers who have latched onto this particular collection of historical and mythological texts instead.

Since this thread died.....I'm going off topic

Dedalus,

These ' text ' you mentioned that go unregarded by believers. Why would a believer put any stock in a mythological text? Believers feel these writing are false and pagan. Believers "latch on" to the bible because they feel it is the only inspired book on the planet.

Rocketman,

Thank you for being understanding and recognising my question. You da man!

Sometimes I feel these questions go un-noticed or misunderstood, and it's nice to see they are being recognised. ( can't spell recognised)

Gumby

• embalmed
    embalmed

Yeah! Yeah, I remember seeing that when I was around 6. God.

• LDH
    LDH

"This good news of the Kingdom let us preach!"

These pictures are disgusting. I would never expose my small child to this crap.

• smurfette
    smurfette

I'd forgotten all about the Mankind's Search for God Aztec ripping hearts out picture! Messed up!

The Paradise book sure warped alot of little minds didn't it? Until I read this thread I hadn't realized just what an impact that book had. My mom used some of those pictures to explain to us what was going to happen to our Dad when armageddon came. Yep, that's some mighty fine parenting!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit