How I recently handled JWs at my door

by Christian guy 310 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• J. Hofer
  • Laika
    Laika

Although I wouldn't always agree with the statement that no true Christian would commit murder, it's not the same as the no true Scotsman fallacy.

A true scotsman is defined by nationality and gender and behaviour is irrelevant, if a group are at least somewhat defined by behaviours and someone who claims to be in it doesn't meet those behaviours it's fair for the majority to claim they are not a part of their group.

I.e. 'No true secular humanist is a racist' is not a fallacy imo.

• tec
    tec

Leaving the fallacy out completely, it is true that no one who commits murder is listening to Christ... regardless of whether or not they profess to being a christian.

Peace,

tammy

• jhine
    jhine

If I say I am golfer but take a cricket bat onto the green to whack a cricket ball into the hole then I ain't a golfer or a indeed proper cricketer . As Laika said some groups are defined by a set behaviour . Christians are defined by the behaviour of following Christ's teachings , some of which I mentioned in my last post and which are contradictory to the acts highlighted before .

jan

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

the definition of christian is as ambiguous as there are christian sects. christian can mean just about anything as long as it's somehow connected to jesus.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Christian Guy,

Don't you remember that I said you should not sprain your arm patting yourself on the back?

Then you proceeded to do just that with this nonsense which I will gladly thrash:

"You people remind me of a man claiming to be thirsty and begging all who pass him by for water. But whenever someone gives him some water all he ever does is complain about the quality and the quanity of the water and viciously attack all those who believed his false claims to be thirsty.

If I have ever seen someone use idiotic metaphors to make idiotic arguments, this garbage certainly trumps all of them. I don't claim to be "thirsty", so you just created a red herring argument. I didn't ask you for "water" because I made it clear I think you are full of shit, and I didn't ask you for shit, either.

"I mentioned before that Christ told his followers not to discuss sacred things with people who they can see have no appreciation for sacred things. Christ also asked his followers, "Why do you call me Lord if you do not do what I say?"

Don't you see that virtually the very same argument can be used by any scam artist: "if people have no appreciation for my bullshit we should not try to discuss my bullshit with them. Why do you call me Lord if you don't believe my bullshit, anyway? "

"I will now follow his instructions. Too bad. This board really needed some balance.

This board gets plenty of balance. You should try to get some, too.

Farkel

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

on page 67 of the book "the nations shall know that i am Jehovah- how?" (Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society 1971) talking of 1919

'The facts from then on down to this date prove that they recieved their ordination and appointment and commission for their work in this "time of the end" from Jehovah himself through his heavenly chariotlike organization.'

so do they?

in the chapter that page 67 is in 'Commissioned to Speak in the Divine Name' it tells us that the chariot of Jehovah 'wheeled down from the north and halted before' Ezekiel.

and on page 66 it tells you that 'the celestial chariot seen in Ezekiel's vision, rolled up and stopped, not before Christendom's advocates of the League of Nations, but before the annointed proclaimers of the heavenly kingdom of God in the hands of Jesus Christ.'

I think this ties it to the preaching of Jehovah's Witnesses.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

On page 62 at the side of the subheading The Modern Day Ezekiel my wife made the note (Remnant since 1918) I think she did this because on page 67 it tells us that

'Jehovah has found and commissioned his modern day "Ezekiel." It is a composite Ezekiel. It is composed of those dedicqted, baptized proclaimers of God's kingdom, who have been anointed with His spirit for their work.'

and a couple of pages earlier after my wife had made the notation by the side of the subheading on page 62 and half way down paragraph 17 it says.

'They were very active in preaching the good news of God's kingdom because their Leader Jesus Christ had set this preaching before them as their work in his prophecy at Matthew 24:14'

We studied this publication on a Tuesday night not long before I dedicated my life in water baptism andI think that this identification of the anointed as the modern day Ezekiel ties them to the good news that they preach.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Ezekiel was specific according to the book as to when Jerusalem was destroyed. Jehovah was a 'Numberer of Years' I think he layed on his side for 390 days representing years. Which the book makes I think says was exact to 607.

Ezekiel was authenticated by what he said coming true.

The book I believe makes this clear.

On page 216 it says

"Shortly, within our twentieth century, the "battle in the day of Jehovah" will begin against the modern antitype of Jerusalem, Christendom."

If i understand it correctly this did not take place and so they were not authenicated as a modern day Ezekiel and not commissioned in 1919 and so in my mind it calls into question the preaching that they do as I think the two are linked and i think this is different from the first century. The preaching was centered on Christ and his death and resurrection and the apostles status did not hang on whether the end Armageddon came within a certain time frame.

Of course I could be wrong.

• Christian guy
    Christian guy

I don't claim to be "thirsty", so you just created a red herring argument.

I was not referring to you specifically. When I said, "You people remind me of a man claiming to be thirsty and begging all who pass him by for water," I was referring to many of this board's other unbelievers.

I have seen Christians here asked many times by several different atheists for some evidence of God's existence. For instance, earlier in this same thread I was told, " If you want to offer evidence that there is a god I for one am sincerely interested in hearing it."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit