How I recently handled JWs at my door

by Christian guy 310 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Oh here we go...I didn't mean to prolong the debate and deepen the divide between believers and non believers...

• jhine
    jhine

I do think that a lot of the less than complementary remarks come from the atheists , sorry guys but I have to say it the way I see it . However we Christians have been known to throw our toys out of the pram on occasions .

I have been called stupid ,and maybe I am , I suppose time will tell . I do want to remind all the Christians on the site that Paul said that he was happy to be a fool for Christ's sake , how can we say less ?

Personal attack is that, personal , and we should not be so mindful of ourselves that it makes us respond with anything less than Christ's attitude to those who nailed Him to the cross , loving kindness . What is a bit of name calling compared to being crucified ?

Yes, it upsets us to read insulting remarks about God but we are on a public forum and one of it's strengths is that people can openly express their opinions , something denied them by the Watchtower .

Sorry to sound like Grandma lecturing , but can we not unite at least in the common purpose of helping folk out of the org and providing support as we are able to those who are hurting and angry .

I know that this post is somewhat off topic but it seemed to stray a while ago .

Jan

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

> If you had any decency and courage you would have told Farkel off for his comments. But you didn't stand up to him.

why, of course i don't stand up to him, i perfectly agree with what he said. he told you off just like you told off the two JWs that visited you. you like to dish out, take some in too. crybaby.

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

EdenOne, go back and see who first made the patronising remarks on this thread.

name calling isn't good and gets us nowhere but saying that non believers just resort to insults in incorrect. Looking for facts, intelligence and clear understanding isn't a bad thing, after all, apparently our lives depend on it, wanting to know, to be absolutely sure is not a bad thing.

people saying that Jesus talks to them ( as in this is what my lord tells me) is hardly evidence. It shouldn't be frowned upon if some of us what hard evidence.

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

And the point was also made (I'm sure by besty) that if Christians here were born in another country with a different faith, what then? I believe the Christian answer was 'so what'

So what? Well, I think that makes a massive difference. If you believed in the god your parents taught you does that just mean you will die when god steps in? Or are you just among those really lucky ones who know god (you know, the real god, the god of the western world) and you'll be fine but all the other believers in different faiths, well too bad for them? If not by blind luck you could be one of those.

• cofty
    cofty

Christian Guy - You are full of your own importance. It's a shame you don't have the courage to stay here it would be good for you.

You have lived in a bubble all your life, first as a member of the JW cult and then the evangelical christian cult. You have not the slightest idea that there are very powerful arguments against your worldview and the first time you encounter then you run away screaming that somebody didn't play nice.

I agree that christians should not be attacked. It helps nobody. On a religious discussion forum all beliefs should be criticised mercilessly. None of us want to be wrong any longer than necessary.

Some believers are able to celebrate that their beliefs have nothing to do with evidence - good luck to them. Others, like yourself pretend that your faith is not only based on evidence you even boasted you had a knock-down argument to support your faith. It turned out to be contrived, esoteric numerology. As soon as people started asking sensible questions you switch from discussing evidence to whinging about your hurt feelings.

Show some testicular fortitude. Stop researching your books for a while and have the courage to expose your ideas to scrutiny. Ignore the silly insults and show that you are better than that.

I suspect you are so obsessed with your own theories it will be too hard for you.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

CG,

I did not say that Knight and Butler used the words "about 400 years" in regards to how often on average total solar eclipses can be seen from any spot on Earth.

It was implied in the paragraph you wrote to Cofty. OK. Thanks for clearing it up. To echo what was said before - the number is one estimate among various estimates. No magic '400' here either.

• Christian guy
    Christian guy

You are full of your own importance. It's a shame you don't have the courage to stay here

More personal insuts. So typical. Funny when I quoted Christ's words, which understandably some people took offence to, I was jumped all over. and I continue to be for having done so, even though I apologized more than once. But when one of your own here directs the most fowl language to me and my God no unbeliever here is offended at all. Instead some here actually say they agree with his comments. Your lack of critisism and that of others for his comments has convinced me that you are not people I want to spend any more time with.

You have not the slightest idea that there are very powerful arguments against your worldview.

Baloney. I spent years as an agostic reviewing every critisism there is against the Christian faith. In my earlier very lengthy response I already dealt with several of your side's common criticisms, including the age of the universe, evolution, and the supposed fall of man. There is not a single argument against my worldview that I have not already read or heard and found lacking.

you even boasted you had a knock-down argument to support your faith. It turned out to be contrived, esoteric numerology.

More baloney. As I told you, as demonstrated by the book, Who Built The Moon?, atheists possessing the same kind of evidence that I have here presented to you found themselves having to admit that the moon must have been intelligently designed and constucted. But as I have shown, since the same numbers that they saw clearly appearing in the design of the moon appear just as often in the design of the sun, both the sun and moon must have been intelligntly designed by the same designer. I know of no one else who could design and build a sun and a moon but a God.

The only difference I see between you and the atheists who wrote Who Built The Moon? is that they were honest enough to admit the fact that very clear signs of intellignt design exist in the moon's (and I would add sun's) design. But you refuse to admit this. Because you know that to do so would be to admit that there exists clear evidence for the existence of God. For you know that any other explanation you could come up with (like spacemen or time travelers from Earth's future) would sound even less credible than "God." So your only refuge is to continue to insist that you see nothing. And I suspect you probably don't. For there are none so blind as those who will not see.

• Giordano
    Giordano

And there are none so blind who refuse to learn.

"So tenaciously should we cling to the world reveal by the Gospel, that were I
    to see all the Angels of Heaven coming down to me to tell me something
    different, not only would I not be tempted to doubt a single syllable, but I
    would shut my eyes and stop my ears, for they would not deserve to be either
    seen nor heard." (Luther, "Table Talk, 1687")

• besty
    besty

For there are none so blind as those who will not see

Maybe you are saying I only believe as I now do because I was born in a largely Christian nation. Well, I admit that fact certainly helped me find the faith I now have. But again, I don't see what you are getting at

I think you could do a bit more thinking about why there are no Christians in Afghanistan.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit