How I recently handled JWs at my door

by Christian guy 310 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wasblind
    wasblind

Jaydubleu , All the verses that you just cited tell us that Jesus preached the Good News of the Kingdom. Well, what did Jesus preach ? He primarily preached about himself . Christians recognize Jesus as the " Great I Am " ____-Christian Guy

Jehovah's Witnesses who consider themselves to be " Christians " don't believe Jesus is the " great I Am " ( trinity )

But, Jehovah's Witnesses can still be proven wrong in what they preach as the Good News

because all the verses Jaydublue qouted were before Jesus was given authorithy in the heavens and on earth

To be able to tell folks that they would be witnesses of him in ACTS 1:8 and onward

Jehovah's Witnesses claim that the Trinity taught in Christendom is a falsehood

Trinitarians or not. Jehovah's Witnesses are still goin' against the authority of Jesus

because they go beyond his directive

• jhine
    jhine

I'm with tornapart on this , we all have the common goal of wanting to wake JWs up to fact that they are in a cult and help family and friends to leave the org .

Jan

• besty
    besty

@christian guy - welcome to JWN - I hope you stick around and tell us more about your JW experience and why you left.

It's quite a common journey to go from JW -> BAC -> atheist - cofty and many others have done that, my wife included.

Please include the possibility that there is no god.

Good luck!

• UBM101
    UBM101

As much as being helpful in some areas, some threads in JWN can be quite sickening sometime. A few threads that I observe recently. YUCK!! The GB must be laughing reading these threads.

• Stealth
    Stealth

Marked

• tec
    tec

Good reasoning, Christian Guy, and welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing your experience with others who are hoping to help others see through the lies of the wts as well. I am surprised that those witnesses allowed you to lead them there, but if they truly believe what they preach, then they might not have been able to see where you were headed. They might simply not have known that was in there, also. Often our eyes cannot see what they have been trained NOT to see. Sometimes people just need a shocker to see that they have totally missed what IS written, in their thinking that they know or have the truth.

I must say one thing.

Instead of asking them to leave... might you not have said instead for them, Come!

Revelation 22:17

The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" And let the one who hears say, "Come!" Let the one who is thirsty come; and let the one who wishes take the free gift of the water of life.

My Lord has recently taught me that it is not enough to 'win' an argument, or show someone their error. If we belong to Him, if we love Him and all those HE is calling and loves, then we must also say to them, to Come! So that they may hear that life/water/holy spirit is there for them also, so that they know Christ IS calling to them. That anyone who wishes and anyone who seeks are not only allowed, but are CALLED to come to Him, and have life.

WE are not called to condemn people. Not unless we wish to BE condemned. We are called to serve others, to witness to Christ, and to say, "Come... take the free gift of the water of life"... so that anyone who wishes and seeks may come, and may know that they CAN come.

Peace to you, and again, Welcome!

tammy

• Simon
    Simon

Can we stop with the at-your-throat argument style?

Neither side is going to convince the other that they are wrong.

This also means that the insults are not necessary and that includes the onces coming from the religious camp, however subtle or 'clever' they may be.

• Christian guy
    Christian guy

Vanderhoven and Besty,

You asked about my JW experience. I was raised a JW. Baptized at 16. Began having various doubts at 22 when 1975 came and went. I wrote several letters to the Society questioning some of their unique teachings. I was told to "wait on Jehovah." I then expressed some of my doubts to members of the congregation. I was called before the elders and told to keep all doubts and questions to myself or I might be didfellowshiped for apostasy. I was also told not to spend any more time alone with my then JW girlfriend. They soon discovered I had not been following any of their instructions.

I was promptly disfellowshiped for "conduct unbecoming a Christian," at which time I was told someone gave a small talk about the dangers of people of the opposite sex spending too much time alone. No mention at all was made about my supposed apostasy, leaving most to assume I was being disfellowshiped for sexual immorality, which was not the case. I protested. I told them I wanted them to make it clear to the congregation exactly why I was disfellowshiped and why I was not. They said they owed me no such consideration. Even though they said I could not be reinstated without recanting my stated doubts about the teachings of the FDS. (I have not attended another JW meeting since.)

I soon began to question and doubt God's inspiration of the Bible, and even the existence of God himself. In the late 80's I was gong through a very difficult time in my life. It is said that when you are at the bottom you have to look up. I did. I decided to thoroughly study the Bible with no one's help but God's and then afterwards definitely decide for myself one way or the other if it was inspired by God. I admit I was then hoping to find reasons to believe. But instead, after an almost three year study, I found more reasons than I had ever been aware of before not to believe. In the early summer of 1991, after spending years studying both the scriptures and a whole lot of ancient history, I was ready to toss the whole thing out.

Then something happened that helped me to make perfect sense out of all the things that had just been bothering me most about the Bible. Something that convinced me beyond all doubt that the God of the Bible, and only the God of the Bible, must have created the universe.

This is a very long story. I have been writing a book about it all for several years. A book I hope will someday help bring many to Christ. This has been a tremendous undertaking which has involved much study, not just of the Bible, Bible history and world history, but also of astronomy, archeology, biology, and anthropology. I hope to finish writing my book sometime in the not too distant future. When I do I believe its contents may even help bring some of the atheists here on JWN to Christ.

• cofty
    cofty

When I do I believe its contents may even help bring some of the atheists here on JWN to Christ

If you want to offer evidence that there is a god I for one am sincerely interested in hearing it.

I hope you are starting from a position of first accepting reality. Once we acknowledge the age of the universe and the evolution of all living things through natural proceses. If we can accept the fact that there was no Adam and Eve, no original sin or fall from perfection. Once we understand that the bible is hopelessly contradictory and biblical literalism is a failed hypothesis. Then we may be in a position to make an interesting case for a god that does not require intellectual suicide and the supression of knowledge.

Being an atheist means that you find the case for god unconvincing. It does not mean you have a closed mind on the subject.

You got off to a very bad start. Dehumanising people is deeply disrespectful. Many people here have sincerely and thoroughly considered the evidence in depth over many years, some were once christians with no less passion and love for god than you have now. To excuse that kind of thinking by blaming it on Jesus just wont do. Show some humility and present your case. If anybody attacks it unfairly or ridicules you or dismisses it without considering carefully I will join you in opposing them.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

I am an Atheist I think all religion is BS, but when dealing with JW's you need to show that their cult doesn't follow the bible as they claim, which is why I like this approach.

This is the key!! If the idea is to make JWs think, then you must avoid expressing atheist views at all costs. If your argument is that Jehovah is an imaginary man in the sky and the bible is a book of fairy tales, the door of "reasoning" will be immediately shut on you.

The approach must be that the Watchtower society is not doing what Jehovah wants, become "doing what Jehovah wants" is a friendly thought. Many JWs will become atheist with time, after leaving the organization, but this will rarely be a starting point.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit