The WATCHTOWER isn't DECEITFUL , they are just IMPERFECT

by Minimommi 78 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Minimommi
    Minimommi

Hi everyone,

I need your help. I recently started questioning my beliefs and I am not happy with what I found out. I am married to a born in who admits that WTBS has some problems. One of his favorite scriptures to quote is Psalms 146:3 to "not put your trust in nobles", including the so called FDS. I always considered him a little rebel because he doesn't read the publications (only his Bible) and he isn't trying to climb the spiritual corporate ladder. He said everyone that became elders, changed and not in a good way.

But anyway, we have been having many good conversations and that is when he told me that the WT isn't deceitful, they are just imperfect. He know that I am reading so called apostate information. He says that I should ask questions even though he knows that WTBS discourages this. He isn't interested in WTBS history ( happened too long ago), Child Molestation (sad but difficult to take sides without being there, but police should be called), NGO status(Someone could have signed up without GB's knowledge but when they(GB) found out, they removed themselves) and Shunning( he has always spoke with family members and friends who were disfellowshipped- He wanted them to know he was happy to see them) Gotta love him!

So overall, he feels that being a JW has protected him from a lot of bad things and he wants us to continue going as a family. I asked him what would make him leave. He said, If they started demanding money such as tithing like the churches or he sees any outright DECEIT.

Can you guys help me out? He is open to conversation.

Minimommi

• cedars
    cedars

The problem with this argument, which always surfaces when talking with relatives, is that the organization isn't supposed to be imperfect. It is supposed to be the earthly part of God's grand organization - so how can it be imperfect? You will often hear people trying to excuse the Governing Body in this way - i.e. they are "only men". Of course they are only men! It just so happens, however, that these men have assumed the lofty role of speaking on behalf of God himself. They claim to be the head of God's spirit-directed organization. They cannot therefore have it both ways, and fall back on the "imperfection" excuse whenever it suits them, and yet they always do.

Cedars

• sabastious
    sabastious

I wonder what the Governing Body would have to say about his past relationships with disfellowshipped relatives? Ray Franz was disfellowshipped for associating with the disfellowshipped, not apostasy. Your friend's position on the disfellowshipped is indefensible by Watchtower standards. His solution seems to be along the lines of "just identify the imperfections of the Organization" and alter course respectively. I have to admire the approach because it allowed for true circumvention of the evil of shunning, but he opened up pandoras box in the process apparently without knowing it.

-Sab

• JeffT
    JeffT

If they are imperfect, why do they demand that we believe everything they say as if they were? You can't have an honest disagreement with the GB and still be a JW in good standing. Any deviation from accepted doctrine or practice leads to a trip to the back room.

• sabastious
    sabastious

What does your friend think Jesus is going to do slug him on the shoulder in the new world and say, "I almost had you fooled with those hidden corrupt religious leaders! But you saw right through them! Good going. Oh? What happened to the ones that's followed them? Oh they just all went off a cliff. It was bloody, you don't want to know what happened, really. We don't have stupid people like that, here in the new world full of savvy people just like you."

-Sab

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

If the organization is simply imperfect, how does that make it different from any other religion?

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

read crisis of conscience pronto

and a big Welcome to youFS

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

what Found Sheep said

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Welcome!

Please read the book below to begin understanding how your husband thinks.

Combatting Cult Mind Control by Steve Hassan

http://www.amazon.com/Combatting-Cult-Mind-Control-Best-selling/dp/0892813113

Loyal JWs do not want to be married to an 'apostate', so please proceed with caution. Many people here have gotten divorced because of their differing opinions on the WT organization. Your most effective tools are love and patience.

Your goal is to empower your husband to think for himself. Your goal isn't to get him to 'leave the truth'. Once he can think for himself, he won't have any desire to be a JW.

Also, remind yourself of what he stands to lose, should he leave the organization. For many, this involves losing friends, family and an entire social structure. It's a big deal.

• Minimommi
    Minimommi

Thanks everyone. Looks like I have some reading homework to do. I know he doesn't want to lose his social structure. He knows that most of his friends would shun him. That is why he doesn't mind me reading outside material. I just have to keep it between us. This makes me sick to my stomach. This screams cult to me.

The voluntary donations is a big thing for him. He believes GOD must be blessing this organization because "money is what makes the world go round". How could this organization grow without dues and tithes? I didn't have an answer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit