Most Annoying Things That Happen At JW Meetings

by LittleSister 82 Replies latest jw friends

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    The speaker not turning up, the WT being done first and taking ages and then the speaker arrives after all.

What was worse, was when he didn't show up, but some overzealous brother volunteered to get a talk ready in the hour it took to have the WT study. We had that happen a few times. God forbid we should be without a public talk one Sunday.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

The W/T study conductor spending half the alloted time of the whole study wringing every last drop from the first three paragraphs, then telling the cong' to keep their answers short & scrabbling through the middle & concluding part of the article.

But what do I care now, I don't go

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

Conductor - "So what year did the last days begin?... Young Brother Prompted Kid"

Prompted Kid - "1914"

Conductor - "Sister-must-answer... anything to add?"

Sister-must-answer "Just following on from Young Brother Prompted Kid, we know, and it is self-evident that the last days began, as our Young brother commented, in 1914, however it is important to note that 1914, was not only preceded by 1913 but followed by 1915. So we know the gentile times ended in 1914, and the last days began IN THAT SAME YEAR (pauses for dramatic effect) , so as the paragraph states, the last days began in 1914.

Me - in my head " F'n nut-house" .

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

I wonder if the super-fine brothers who fill in at short notice for the speakers who don't turn up know just how disliked they are...!

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

my step son once whispered in his younger sisters ear to say 'Frogs' for an answer

Now that is funny stuff!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have had many boasting sessions run long because the conductor was very slow or intentionally dragged it on. When I would read for the book study, I would read quickly BECAUSE I WANTED THE DAMN THING DONE EARLY, not so they could add more comments or drag something on. Had they refrained from adding spurious material, I could have had those book studies done about 10 minutes early because I would read through words that most people couldn't pronounce without wasting time.

Also, I hate hearing things that merely waste my time. Once I got the common denominator of every single piece of littera-trash, I never needed to see another piece again because I already know the outline. Hearing talks about not missing boasting sessions is another complete waste of time. Also, when they have to waste half an hour getting people to pio-sneer, it is a complete waste of my time. If all I am going to hear at the boasting sessions is how important the boasting sessions are, they are not all that important after all.

The worst is the hounder-hounder. This humanoid always manages to drag out the last talk. Some of them have two-hour ramblings for a 1/2 hour talk slot. The boasting session is supposed to end at 9:15, and many people have unbelieving spouses or children that need to be in bed by a decent hour. And, if they want any field circus out of me the next morning at 5:30 in the morning, the boasting session had better end ON TIME, not 1 1/2 or 2 hours late. I would like to see a situation where, if the hounder-hounder is still talking at 9:20 PM, the lights all go out and everyone leaves while it is dark.

• life is to short
    life is to short

People taking notes like they have never heard such great things in their lives. I was at the special assembly day Sunday, wish I was any place but there. Anyway this young elders wife who is 23 and he is 46 gag was taking notes like her life depended on it. The old elder husband sat there looking stupid. No really he totally looks so stupid, he sucks in his cheeks in and just looks around like a freak case. Really strange looking but his wife and now her younger sister are just writing like they have never heard this before in their live.

For some reason it makes me want to scream and slap her, I want to tell her to run and have a life. It is so sad.

• Robert7
    Robert7

I HATED WT comments that just repeated the paragraph. It insulted my intelligence to just regurgitate some basic sentences that were written for a fifth grader! I refused.

Even worse is when I did answer (because my wife pressured me) people would say "I enjoyed your comment". What did you enjoy? I just repeated what was written in the paragraph.

Looking back I realize the WT study created a lot of dissonance with me...

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    People taking notes like they have never heard such great things in their lives.

YES! We all did it...God knows why, as they never made sense, lol (and did anyone ever READ the notes they made..? I never did...looking back I think it was 'the only acceptable thing to do' while sitting through hours of mind numbing trash). I think it must have been part of the 'this is VERY important' mentality.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    Even worse is when I did answer (because my wife pressured me) people would say "I enjoyed your comment". What did you enjoy? I just repeated what was written in the paragraph.

Ah yes. The patronizing pat on the back meant to convey a phony and contrived sense of encouragement. Just like people "enjoyed" the student talks, no matter how painful they actually were to watch.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit