Most Annoying Things That Happen At JW Meetings

by LittleSister 82 Replies latest jw friends

• crazy2try
    crazy2try

This is so funny.

I have to say that one of the things that drove me nuts were when the little kids infront of me turned around and stared at me, picking their noses and the parents not noticing. I didn't care so much if they let them look around, but I didn't like the staring.

The other things that made me angry. Mentioned earlier...children getting baptized. That makes me so mad. I don't clap, I don't watch. I can't stand it.

I also went to a Book Study where this brother would describe the pictures. Once there was a pic of the area around Bethal and he gave us a layer by layer 10 min comment about the names off all the buildings, streets, the bridge, river, what it looks like at night. how long it takes to walk from one area to another. It was nuts. My dad was conducting and I asked him later why he let him go on like that. Dad said he wanted to see how long the bro would talk. That was even more nuts.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

People that lingered long after the book study at our house was over. I had three kids to get to bed and didn't appreciate them overstaying their welcome. One night my son brought his pet snake out for all to see and the guy that liked to stay ran out of the house so fast we all laughed! His family followed him.
    My son did this one or two more times and it worked each time. We finally cancelled the study at our house. It was just too hard for the kids staying up that late and getting up early.
    That was a big relief!

All the posts here brought back so many unpleasant memories...

Isn't life grand on the 'outside'...

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    jws that sing off key at the top of the lungs and are standing right behind you

Blondie, if only the JWs had a monopoly on that! Show me a church where nobody sings off-key, and I'll show you a church where the congregation doesn't sing. I'd rather stand up and listen to off-key singing than sit still and listen the whole time while trying to stay awake. "Make a joyful noise" [Psalm 95], and be happy that you're alive and have ears that can hear it!

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

The two hour mid week meetings, where little kids would be expected to sit still WAY past their bedtime, and if they didn't could expect to be dragged out back for a 'good hiding'. As soon as a child was lifted from his seat, he'd start bawling the place down as he knew what was coming to him. Operant conditioning..? I'm thinking Pavlov's dog :(

The endless prayers

Gawd yes...we used to have one elder who used to fall asleep while he gave the prayer...he'd just suddenly go quiet, lol. I actually liked him. Generally prayers are so insincere and are padded out with repetative 'Jehovahs' (I ended up counting how many times I heard Jehovah during a prayer and used to start sniggering).

rockmehardplace - great, so your kid can repeat what you say.
    Bingo...and that is how the whole 'religion' works, by parrot-fashion repetition of what is printed in a WT. Start as kids and continues into adulthood....by which time it's second nature.
  • MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Sorry, tried to fix the post a few times...and it's being stubborn, lol.

• four candles
    four candles

Ha...midwich....my step son once whispered in his younger sisters ear to say 'Frogs' for an answer when it clearly wasn't. She was so embarressed when everyone laughed. I knew nothing of his doings....and I think that was the start of her not wanting to go to meetings anymore.

I used to hate it when you were talking to someone after the meetings and somebody else would just come along and butt in saying I need to speak to this person,you can bog off.....used to happen a lot. Meetings were sometimes very lonely.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Fake smiles.

Love bombing.

Control.

Canned Answers.

Etc.

Bangalore

• Lieu
    Lieu

people who never spoke to you all of a sudden having a bunch of "love" whenever the DO or CO popped in .... -phoooooonnnnnyyyyy!

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

it's all about boredom boredom and more boredom, long boring monotonous robotic scripted prayers, terribly long boring overtime talks

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

Having to hang around for ages waiting for the person you were giving a lift to.

The speaker not turning up, the WT being done first and taking ages and then the speaker arrives after all.

Having to think of different phrases to use when giving prayers.

Getting to the meeting a few minutes late after having worked a 12 hour day and arriving straight from the train without having had dinner. Suffering the evil glares from people who don't work and expect you to share your possessions with them.

Hearing speakers talk knowledgeably on subjects like running marathons and climbing mountains when most of what they say is tosh.

MMXIV

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit