Self -Employed or Otherwise Gainfully Employed - Gas Prices Eating You Up?

by flipper 115 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

Something else to try ... drive without using your brakes. I know, sounds dangerous, but trying to predict and allow the car to come to a rolling stop if possible rather than brake saves fuel - every time you brake it effectively means you wasted fuel getting up to that speed (or staying at that speed for too long).

It makes you a safer driver too (as long as you do use the brakes if you need to)

• Layla33
    Layla33

I am negotiating working home occasionally. I economize as much as possible, the gas prices are affecting everyone. Thanks for the tips!

• flipper
    flipper

SSPO- That's a good idea for anyone looking to buy a 4 cylinder economy car. They should PM you. Perhaps Midget Sasquatch could contact you or vice versa.

ALEXIA- $35.00 per week doesn't seem too bad- compared to what some of us are paying ! But $4.35 per gallon is still high though.

SAMMIE LEES WIFE- I agree the conspiracy to bring down us working middle class is in full swing ! The government falsifies all their figures to make things not look so bad ! Kind of reminds me of another organization that does that. ( The Watchtower society )

5 GO- Well- I guess we will just have to wait and see if the oil companies use the horses you are talking about in the future. I'll believe it- when I see it. Right now they are into making money, not saving it.

BIG TEX- There are going to be even more unemployed if these gas prices don't stop going up.

SIMON- Really good tips you gave for saving gas - Thanks !

CUTBERT- It is a drag- but many of us self employed people have to keep our work equipment with us and transport it everywhere.

LAYLA 33- I hope you are able to work at home more to save money on gas ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I do applaud all those government or other businesses that can rotate their workers so they only have to come in to work 4 days instead of 5. Work a 10 hour day rotation so nobody loses money but all save on gas costs. Diesel here went up to $5.00 a gallon yesterday. I think that for most of us who are conservative anyway in the way we spend, we all started to combine trips and make the best use of our travel time and costs a while back. sammieswife.

• Casper
    Casper

Goodness, Mr. Flipper... I had no idea you could get so fired up... LOL... and rightly so.

Hubby has one of those huge diesel guzzling ton dually trucks, it costs around $160 to fill it up. We do that once a month, and try to make it last the whole month before refilling. We have thought of selling it and getting a smaller one, but no one wants such a thing right now.

I have a small car, and of course it is being used now more than ever...

My husband just retire 4 months ago, we are now on a fixed income, time will tell how that is going to work out.

Cas

• Farkel
    Farkel

: "I want Dick Cheney, Halliburton, and Bush's head on a silver god damned platter for letting this go on ! "

Kindly explain how those two guys were personally responsible for raising the price of fuel. The United States is sitting on the biggest concentration of oil in Montana and the Dakotas that has EVER been discovered. Shale oil is viable to extract and refine when the price of regular crude oil is $100 per barrel. Well the price is more than $100 per barrel now.

Congress just shut down any chance of bringing it out of the ground and they want to TAX the oil companies instead when they already get more in tax from each gallon of gasolene than the oil companies make. Congress produces nothing and the oil companies invest billions in exploration, extraction and refining. Yet Congress sucks their hard earned blood while producing NOTHING themselves.

Put the blame where the blame lies.

Have you killed a tree-hugger today?

Farkel

• RR
    RR

I'm fortunate that I only travel 15 miles roundtrip and only need to fill up my tank every 2 weeks.

RR

• zagor
    zagor

Well here we are already paying equivalent of $5.8 US per gallon and were it not for government subsidies would be about $7 or $8 and from what I've heard the other day on 60 minutes it would be about $10 in States as well were it not for subsidies. Though people here are pretty laid back compared to doom and gloom I hear from States. But yes, I know what you mean I use car for everything including business and sometimes get a mild shock at the end of a month when I sum up my petrol expenditure. Last year at tax return I filed about $4700 in petrol alone and most of that was just driving around the city. I haven't gone through this year recepits yet but it sure is the biggest pile on the table.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Yes, it hurts! We are paying 3 times the price for fuel that you are in the U.S. Wait until you're paying $120 to fill your tank.

Mickey.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Here's an idea!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit