Self -Employed or Otherwise Gainfully Employed - Gas Prices Eating You Up?

by flipper 115 Replies latest jw friends

• BreakingAway
    BreakingAway

I'm going to post my previous comments here from another thread on this subject because this is how I feel about this issue.Also, let me make it clear that those who WANT higher prices either fail to note, or simply could care less, about those who ARE suffering greatly from the rapid increase in gas prices.We personally might be able to cope, but plenty of others who don't have such resources to "ride it out" are in VERY serious trouble.I UNDERSTAND the concept that some pain is often necessary to make changes but many innocent ones are suffering and I note a serious lack of empathy and concern reflected in the comments by those wishing for higher gas prices.

I'm going to comment on this one last time because quite frankly I know it will fall on the deaf ears attached to the boneheads that insist everyone move to the CITY and that it's everyone else's OWN fault because they choose to live outiside of the city ....where True Paradise resides.

Take me down to the paradise city
    Where the grass is green
    And the girls are pretty

Strapped in the chair of the city's gas chamber
    Why I'm here, I can't quite remember
    The surgoen general say's it's hazardous to breathe
    I'd have another cigarette
    But I can't see
    Tell me that you're gonna believe

On and on with the mantra of : "You CHOSE live away from the city, "You CHOSE a 28 mpg car instead of a 33mpg car.." Apparently, such ones have no idea of just how moronic their rhetoric sounds.

1.The entire portion of America's population CANNOT FIT in all of the cities ! What do you think would happen if everyone packed up right now and moved to the city ? Hmmmmm ? ....I thought so.No room=No room.How do the people get to their place of employment located far beyond the city outside of the reach of Public Transportation ? How many FARMERS plow the CITY PARK ?

2.The increase of gas prices has risen at such a dramatic rate people were not able to implement the changes they would have liked to have made.Which ties into...

3.The Housing bubble.House prices have FALLEN dramatically, while gas prices have RISEN dramatically.Selling your house in this market can cause more serious problems than keeping it.Why ? The final sale price of the house may very well NOT pay off the mortgage so now one is faced with BOTH a partial (or full) MORTAGE for a house they no longer own PLUS Rent for an apartment in the city.Just brilliant ! Unless, one is recommending foreclosure ;in which case the person might still wind up homeless if they don't have money for rent.

4.What is amazingly HYPOCRITICAL and apparently has failed to be noticed by such brainiacs is that they ACCUSE those here concerned about gas prices of "blaming everyone else and not taking responsibility for their actions", while they THEMSELVES blame those who had a "CHOICE" but "made a bad one" and that now THEY ARE to blame for the problem ! Hello McStupid ? Anyone home ? Isn't that passing the buck ? The claim, of course, is all those suffering from high gas prices should have sold their house, packed up the whole family,moved to a city (with no room, no jobs and high crime), and live out their days in a cramped apartment while singing the praises of the concrete jungle and "wonderful public transportation".I've been to many big cities: NYC,Philly,Tokyo, etc. and after a realtively short time I was ready to leave ! It's just not for me...or many others.Forgive me for not wanting to be one of those kids that never even saw a real live COW or a Bird of Prey,or DEER, or actual woods, clean air,beautifully scuplted farmland, wonderful sunsets free of smog,the scent of the land and wild flowers,picking berries right off the bush,real elbow room, etc., etc.Why should I have to give all that up because it's the "ONLY" real solution to the problem ?

5. Not feasible...by a long shot.I just read a story of a lady yesterday.Here's an excerpt...

Every summer, Peggy Powell looks forward to her family's reunion in southern West Virginia.

She's made the annual four-hour drive from Pittsburgh to Beckley since her children were small, and now her youngest is 45. But this year, Powell can't afford the trip she's always enjoyed as her summer vacation.

Rising gas and food prices will force her to stay home.

"I haven't been able to save any money. I just can't put any back," said Powell, 71, a retired hospital dietary department worker who supplements her income by working 20 hours a week as a school crossing guard."

I know, I know, it's the old lady's fault ! She should have just left her entire family, sold everything years ago and moved to the city where she can get mugged walk to get groceries.

You see, for decades this country has had gas hogs and their still wasn't a major problem like there is today.It is believed that this country has THREE TIMES the oil reserves of Saudi Arabia, but they remained untapped.After all,why should they spend money on more refineries and reduce their profits when they can just raise the price and make far more ?

Now, don't get me wrong....I think it's very important that one take responsibilty for their own actions but to imply that the real cause of the problem are American's who haven't bought "fuel efficient" cars and moved to the city is just downright idiotic !

The increased industrialization of other countries has also put a great strain on world oil supplies and the oil used by the USA also goes to benefit the countries that do business with them.If America falls what do you think will happen to the rest of the world as we know it ? It would most certainly have a domino effect...BIG TIME ! So any idiot who can't wait for the downfall of America better be prepared to take those words back when they don't have a pot to pee in because all they wanted was to blame America for the world's problems.Not that the war in Iraq has helped any.I mean, how much fuel do you think they've already used for their War Machines ? Gas is NOW four times the price it was BEFORE Iraq ! NO connection ? Oh no...of course not..anybody can see that.... Notice this comment:

Red Cavaney, president of the industry trade group American Petroleum Institute--not left-leaning types--puts the blame squarely on the invasion of Iraq, where unrest and violence has reduced production to less than they were under Saddam in the world's second-largest supplier. Traders of oil futures fix the price per barrel based on their expectations of political stability, especially in the world's largest oil-producing nations. And they don't like what they see in Iraq. "As soon as you can stabilize the civil situation," says Cavaney, "[Iraq will] significantly be able to ramp up production. But it would take years."

Adding to the high cost of crude oil, says former Louisiana senator and oil company lobbyist Bennett Johnston, is the Bush Administration's "saber rattling" against Iran. "We'd see gasoline prices of $5 or $6; crude oil above $100 if we bomb Iran," he predicts.

So voters are right. If Bush wants to bring down oil prices, he can. All he has to do is stop threatening war, and bring home the troops from Iraq.

And by the way, those comments were made back in 2006.So the war in Iraq, the largest Oil Reserves in the world, located right here in the USA, remain untapped.Doing so would not only eliminate dependency on Foreign Oil, but the US could make money by EXPORTING it ! Think about the fact that America has had muscle cars and big V8's for decades without major sustained problems like we're seeing now.Watch the documentary "Who killed the Electric Car ? " and you'll see that we're in the position we're in now because , yes, Big Oil, has been trying to do this for decades, but it looks like they'll get even more than what they wished for.

Hurricanes Katrina and Rita wrought major damage to refineries.U.S. refining capacity today is about 16 million barrels a day, about the same as it was in 1983, but the refineries run at much higher utilization rates.Disruptions in Nigeria, repairs to refineries in the Gulf od Mexico because of talk about military action against Iran, etc. All of these things, and more, are the result of piss poor decisions on the part of a Congressional Policies that work against the interests of economically priced oil and alternatives.The stifling of domestic oil and gas production and the suppression of new refineries and nuclear power plants have choked off the supplies of domestic energy, forcing us to rely on foreign oil.We do NOT have a shortage of oil.They have just been placed off limits and have been that way for decades.The American Petroleum Institute , or API, reports that opening up these areas would provide enough oil to power 60 million cars for 60 years, plus enough natural gas to heat 60 million homes for 160 years. But 85 percent of coastal waters have been declared off limits, along with similar restrictions on 75 percent of the onshore prospects.

That's why 60 percent of our oil is now imported. And these restrictions caused America to lose more than 1 million jobs in oil and gas during the past 25 years. How many "green collar" jobs have we gained to replace them?

Another reason for high gas prices: federal and state regulations that require dozens of "boutique fuels," dictating different blends of gas for different regions.A big part of boutique fuels is the ethanol mandate, now set by Congress at $18 billion a year, which shifted the corn supply from food to fuel. The mandate set off a domino effect as the government pays farmers to grow corn rather than other grains, and to sell it for fuel instead of food. And because corn is the major feed for livestock, the prices of meat, eggs, milk and so on climb along with prices for grain, flour, baked goods, etc

Solution ?

1. Understand the causes, especially the role of government

2. Open up reserve areas

3. Build refineries and nuclear power plants

4. End expensive and wasteful mandates, especially ethanol

5. Let the free market develop alternatives for the future

So is the problem REALLY the everyday average American who genuinely trusted the gonvernment to responsibly handle these issues ? Complacency has been the real problem and one unexpected disaster after another has resulted in a runaway train.

Face the fact that people not only don't want to ....but shouldn't have to move and that it wouldn't really change anything for the better anyway.The fact that many businesses that are needed to run the country are located well outside of the city.That public transportation cannot be used for many jobs (as discussed before).That not even those who would like to move can do so ; due to health,economic, etc. reasons.

But don't blame granny, don't blame the family doesn't want to move to the city, don't blame the person who doesn't want to make a 2 mile trip walking to get groceries, or any other inane idea.Just accept the fact that you consider yourself more noble and enlightened because your personal preferences have allowed you to make the choices YOU wanted to make.But don't vilify someone else because it doesn't fit with your own personal , self-righteous agenda.

This is not to say that benefits won't come as a result of all of this.Certainly, lifestyle changes are in order and can prove quite beneficial.Perhaps people will plant a garden to save money.Or engage in more activities that do not involve much,or any, money.In short, maybe people will slow down a bit in life and consider what's truly important.Unfortunately,as a species, this often doesn't come until we experience suffering.If we personally aren't suffering, or maybe not that much, because of the current economic crisis, then perhaps we can think about those that are, and not be blaming them for something for which they had little to do.

• donkey
    donkey

Flipper you have every right to be pissed. But stay pissed until they find an alternative. Otherwise this will just keep happening. America needs a revolution against corruption and against short sighted thinking - problem is we have no one to lead it as al those n power appear to be corrupt. Not one of the candidates is even talking about Medicaid or Social Security - wait till those chickens come home and have no real funding.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Who's hoping for that? My impression is that you are somehow getting your rocks off thinking about even the remote possibility of a financial armageddon. I think you should change your ID to HennyPenny or ChickenLittle.

You think I don't understand that it hurts a little bit to have higher energy costs? Ofcourse I understand that. Guess what? Now that it hurts, changes will happen. Be patient and stop hoping for your financial armageddon to take place.

Oh puleeze.....don't be an idiot. Because I believe in economists and experts who can clearly see what's happening to the country you call that hoping for a financial armageddon? Because I refuse to sit and wrap my arms around you and sing koombaya..all warm and fuzzy as some poor soul cancels his health care because he can't afford to drive his nasty car - you think I'm the one who has a problem??? Good freaking god...I'm not the one who after hearing all the stories about people struggling still had the foolishness to say 'yeah...good going..hope it goes up.' I'm not even sure you do understand because if you did you might have come up with some compromise with a little compassion, instead of sounding like you are gleefully smacking a wad of cash against your car while yelling 'sucker' to all the working joes filling up at the station.

Sorry - I don't buy your type of understanding. It's kind of like trying to tell me that because Paris Hilton had to go without one meal that she knows real hunger. Kind of like trying to tell me that disfellowshipping is a loving action.

I don't want gas to rise because it is hurting the majority of the population - not just in this country either. sammieswife.

• Highlander
    Highlander
    Because I believe in economists and experts who can clearly see what's happening to the country

You're right. I should listen to them too as they have predicted 10 of the last 3 recessions.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    You're right. I should listen to them too as they have predicted 10 of the last 3 recessions

You can believe anything you want. I'm not into predictions. I see the reality. Businesses failing, people being laid off and stores cutting back, increased costs for personal and food stuffs, planes grounded and tourism failing. I had to produce a chart a few months ago using statistical analysis in employment, forclosures and inflation - sorry, but when you see the numbers for some places reading close to 20% unemployment, when you realize that 1 million homes are forclosed on, when you check in on a few guys who aren't getting work in and going out of business - you get slapped in the face with their reality. I can go home at the end of the day and be thankful it isn't me - I don't go home and wave my hands in the air thanking God that the price of gas has bankrupted them. Let's be clear. This hasn't happened overnight - it's been a steady erosion in the income of people over the past few years and this has just been the tipping point. Some will make it and some won't. Hoping for higher gas prices just so some people will 'get it'...is counter productive. sammieswife.

• flipper
    flipper

BREAKING AWAY- Yeah ! I guess all of us who moved out to the woods in the country are to blame according to some city slickers ! LOL! I agree with you - it's ridiculous . How sad that older ladies story was you shared about not being able to see her relatives ! But like her - none of us can trust that our government has our best interests at heart anymore ! They have their own interests at heart- only. Good post from you, thanks !

DONKEY- It is true a revolution in time would definitely change things. But you have to have enough people on the same page with the power to do it, make effective changes ! And enough power to overcome the rich elite AKA- the Bilderbergs who are controlling the federal government ! If you figure out a way to do that - Donkey- then you should be next president ! LOL!

SAMMIE's WIFE- I agree with your takes ! I too don't want gas prices to raise as it's not only hurting myself - it's destroying the rest of the economy and hurting others ! Hoping for higher gasprices is insane. Like you - I too look at the reality of things

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit