Self -Employed or Otherwise Gainfully Employed - Gas Prices Eating You Up?

by flipper 115 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

HONESTY- I agree with you. My business can't survive without a vehicle either. I hear ya bro ! It's getting tough. $ 480.00 per month you are paying ? I feel for you.

5 GO- Well, if drilling for more oil is not the answer - then we will be forced to go to alternative fuel sources. But do you think the oil companies will allow that to happen - without kicking and screaming about lost profits ? I doubt that very much. The oil companies will do anything and everything to prevent us from going to alternate energy and fuel sources.

BRONZEFIST- I remember 34 cents per gallon ! You must be as old as me - or vice versa ! LOL! Boy, those days are gone forever ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• sspo
    sspo

I got 2 cars for sale, both 4 cyl, 2006 Dodge caravan and 2006 Chrysler sebring, both with 19k and 17k miles.

PM me i'll give you a very good deal, i realize we should not advertise on here but this are desperate times, apostates should help one another .

To save on gas i try not to take any long distance trips anymore unless i really have to.

• Alexia
    Alexia

I pay about $35 a week for gas to go to and from work (6 miles away). Public transportation cost slightly more, 4x longer and I cant combine trips (ie: go the the store or farmers market on the way home). I pay a little more if I use my car on the weekends for mostly highway dirving. Its a '07 Acura TL S and NOT fuel efficient LOL. Our other car (mostly weekends) is a after market '07 335i and obviously uses more gas but we take it on the highway. Gas for the cars is about $4.35/gal

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Don't forget that in a couple of weeks we'll look back and say,..."Gosh remember the good ol' days when we were paying just $4 bucks a gallon."

LOL...I said that when I first moved to the US a few years ago. It was under $2.00 a gallon in 2004...I predicted then that although there was bitching that it would keep rising. In 4 years, the cost has doubled - and all the smug, self righteous people who clap in glee should dig out their exercise shoes. That way they can jump for joy when their taxes double to pay for all of us who become unemployed as a direct result of the price of gas. They can jump for joy when the government tells them that 'somebody' has to pay for all those increases in aide and thank I bless their little hearts for helping to take care of me when I need it. It'll be even better when it reaches $10.00 a gallon and more of us can sit back and wait for our checks to arrive from those folk..after all, we won't be able to use those gas guzzlers to even start to look for a job because we dared to live in such small towns.

Conspiracy to devalue the middle class - you betcha. If you've ever wondered why the stats on unemployment and inflation don't seem to add up by the Bushies...check out some of the real stats. If the government were to tell you that inflation was really at about 10% instead of the lowly 2% they've been harping on for years, you might demand a change. They keep saying that unemployment is only about 4%...that's a laugh for anyone doing any sort of analysis...some towns and counties are running as high as 17%. Oh yeah - and if they really wanted to be fair they would include the cost of food - which has risen 18%, a rate highest since the Great Depression, but they don't because it all sounds better to the common man.

sammieswife.

• 5go
    5go
    5 GO- Well, if drilling for more oil is not the answer - then we will be forced to go to alternative fuel sources. But do you think the oil companies will allow that to happen - without kicking and screaming about lost profits ? I doubt that very much. The oil companies will do anything and everything to prevent us from going to alternate energy and fuel sources.

What are you talking about Big Oil is behind the new nukes and hydrogen fell cell movements. They know the oil age is ending and they have picked their horses for the next race.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    That way they can jump for joy when their taxes double to pay for all of us who become unemployed as a direct result of the price of gas

No no, you don't understand. Those people CHOSE to be unemployed.

• Simon
    Simon

If we were still in the UK we'd be paying about 1.20+ GBP a litre but we only pay half that here in Canada so while I grumble a little that the price has gone up, overall I think it is a good thing because even North America it seems has finally realised that being economical can be a good thing - and that has to be good. We're probably past peak oil and because speculators use oil as an investment the days of ultra-cheap fuel are probably long gone now.

I now drive about 20-30km a day (to the train station and back) so a tank of gas lasts longer than it used to. I'm probably going to get a Diesel Jetta (with the new more powerful / economical engine) when the lease on the car expires next year.

We have a van too, crap for going round town but not bad for long journeys. The trick is to shave 5 or 10km off your speed - every 10 km/hr above 90 km/hr, your vehicle burns 10% more fuel. Also, make sure your tyres are inflated and consider getting out of the car / truck / suv rather than going through the drive-through (esp. if you have the obligatory queue at the local Tim Hortons!)

• Simon
    Simon

Some good tips here:

http://www.northlan.gov.uk/business+and+employment/roads+and+transport/smartways/what+drivers+should+know.html

Energy Saving Tips

1. After starting the engine, it's best to drive off immediately. Idling pollutes the environment and leads to excessive fuel consumption.

2. You can drive smoothly and economically by avoiding high revs. Instead, depress the accelerator gently to drive away and change to a higher gear in time. Avoid depressing the accelerator repeatedly when your car is stationary as this uses more fuel and causes air pollution and noise.

3. Do not approach traffic lights at speed. If it is clear that you will have to stop, allow the vehicle to coast if possible.

4. Even if you only have to wait for 30 seconds, it is more economical to switch the engine off and start it again when necessary. Waiting? Switch the engine off!

5. Driving at high speed uses more fuel and cause even more pollution. Generally, fuel consumption and pollution increase above 50 mph (and particularly above 60 mph). Overtaking is often pointless. You don't save any time as you only move up one or two places in the traffic, while relatively large amounts of fuel are required.

6. Avoid unnessecary drag. Ensure that the doors, bonnet and boot close properly. Remove caravan mirrors and roof racks when not in use.

7. To drive economically you need to maintain a sufficient distance between yourself and the next vehicle. This way there is less need to react suddenly, you can brake and accelerate more smoothly.

8. On bends, reduce speed in time and accelerate smoothly when you are halfway through the bend. Late, heavy braking before the bend followed by rapid acceleration lead to excessively high fuel consumption.

9. If you watch the road ahead and anticipate any likely problems, your driving style will become smoother and better controlled.

10. Tyres in good condition and at the correct pressure improve both safety and fuel consumption. Be sure to check your tyres regularly.

11. An economiser is an excellent tool to use when learning to drive economically, ask your garage or dealer for more information.

Effects of Driving

What are the effects of driving with:

Tyre Pressure 0.5 bar too low.

Fuel consumption up by 2 - 3% and increased wear.

Always use the 'maximum load' tyre pressure indicated in your car manual.

An aggressive driving style.

Fuel consumption up by 10 - 12% above average.

Environmental pollution 30 - 40% higher than normal.

An energy aware driving style.

You can save up to 13% on your fuel consumption.

Better for the environment, better for your wallet!

A ski box on the roof.

Consumption up by 10% (on average), 20% at 70 mph.

Only use a ski box or roof box if you need it.

The rear screen heater (demits) switched on.

Fuel consumption up be 3 - 5%.

Switch the rear demits off when the window is clear.

The quarter lights half open.

Consumption up by 5% (on average), 10% at 70 mph.

Close the windows, use the vents instead, particularly at higher speeds.

The air conditioning at 50%.

Fuel consumption up by at least 10%.

Air conditioning is of little use in temperate climates

An open choke.

Fuel consumption up by 50 - 100%, extremely high emissions.

drive off immediately and push the choke in, use the choke as little as possible.

A cycle rack and two bikes on the rear of the vehicle.

Fuel consumption up by 10 - 15%.

Bike racks on the roof: fuel consumption up by 20 - 30%.

The sun roof open.

Fuel consumption up by approximately 4%.

Roof half open: approximately 3%.

Driving Gently

Below are eight advantages of driving gently:

1. lower energy consumption
    2. lower emissions
    3. less noise
    4. less maintenance
    5. reduced wear
    6. less stress
    7. lower costs
    8. safer

Useful Tips

What affects your fuel consumption?Driving style, short trips, temperature, car maintenance, rapid acceleration.
    What is the most important factor?Your driving style is the most important factor affecting energy consumption.
    Why is it better not to use the car for short trips?A cold engine uses almost twice as much fuel as a warm engine. Try walking or cycling and save some money.
    What is the best way to start a car?By using the choke as little as possible and driving off gently, without delay.
    Can I save fuel while driving in town?Yes, by avoiding high engine speeds and changing to a higher gear when possible.
    What is meant by 'reading the road'?Look ahead while driving and anticipating events.
    Why is it important to keep a safe distance?So that you can brake smoothly when required, without endangering other road users.
    Why do we have a speed limit?Driving too fast wastes fuel, causes even more pollution and hardly saves any time.
    What distance should I maintain from the car in front?As many meters as your speed in mph (see table below)

Your Speed

SPEED (MPH)

Consumption

Emission

Noise

Stopping Distance (Meters)

PM

PM

PM

21%

19%

33%

35%

48%

56%

42%

54%

70%

48%

58%

81%

PM: it is assumed that fuel consumption, pollutant emissions and noise are lowest at approximately 50 mph, the most economical driving speed. Higher speeds lead to increased fuel consumption and environmental impacts, as shown above.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I'm probably going to get a Diesel Jetta (with the new more powerful / economical engine) when the lease on the car expires next year.

I wanted one of those, but could not find one at the right price. I have a diesel gasoline version of the Jetta. Stickshift. I get at least 420 miles out of the tank, which is 14 gallons. Usually closer to 440 as a matter of fact. Do the math. Not shabby at all.

BTS

• catbert
    catbert

I have zero sympathy for individuals who drive to work alone in a pickup that gets 16 MPG,
    individuals who have office jobs.

I have great sympathy for individuals who actually use their vehicles to haul work related items
    to job sites.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit