Lots of Bethelites Not Happy With Downsizing

by Seeker4 106 Replies latest jw friends

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

and they are apparently agreeing to cover workers now,

---------------------------------------------------------------

or send them packing.... :-) yeah, but remember, the WT is a publishing company with the religion as a front, so it's not really an apple to apples comparision :-)

-silent

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

I guess what I do not get is why they are still building in the DUMBO Neighborhood when they are downsizing.

Jeff S.

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

looking_glass,

basically, the scam was to call bethelites volunteers of a religious order, which makes the WT exempt from paying WC for these workers. While bethelites recieived no salary, many of their duties (running printing presses, shipping books, etc.) is NOT what NY state has in mind for the designation ''voluneteers of a religious order''. In other words, not recieving a salary is NOT necessarily equal to being a volunteer, and it depends on the nature of the assigned duties.

That was the core of the WT defense. The court ruled otherwise. I'm surprised they let the case go to trial, because if the designation of ALL workers is changed retroactively, the WT could open itself up to prior claims that have not expired.

There have not been more lawsuits like this because many ex-bethelites land quite well in local congregations, provided they keep their mouths shut. Usually, a well-off local brother has a company and will give the ex-bethel heavy a cushy job. I've seen it happen many times (in upstate NY). That's usually how Jah provides. LOL.

• metatron
    metatron

Gumby, you've really hit the nail on the head - with your comment about the lack of concern for the publishers in regard to changes

made. I agree wholeheartedly.

I think we may be seeing the head and heart of Jaracz in this, as the organization reflects his cold-hearted dominance. Even when

Knorr ran the Society, with his infamous remarks made to the Bethel family about 'if you don't like it, get out', things weren't this bad.

I conclude that either they are unaware of the damage they're doing to their long term interests or they just don't believe in any of it

anymore and don't give a rat's derriere what the friends do.

metatron

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

SW -

NY state has in mind for the designation ''volunteers of a religious order''

Are the pleadings in the WC case posted somewhere, because I would love to read them and see what the positions were. I have always wondered if there was a state statute that defines volunteer, when it comes to the WTBTS.

Thanks L_G

• BritBoy
    BritBoy

I wonder what is happening to Bethel's around the world. I remember the Bethel brother who studied with me, Gerard (basically I fancied the PANTS off him) ALWAYS told me that should the Borg ever run out of money, then he would know it's not the truth. Well, I wonder if he ends up on his arse as a result of his Bethel running out of money, if he will then believe it's all bullshit.

What they are doing, and indeed have done, is DISGUSTING. And I hate that organisation so much.

Brit

• Shining One
    Shining One

Paul Blizard is a wonderful apostate, oops I mean the Rev. Paul Blizard!
    Rex

• Shining One
    Shining One

Crumpet,
    They can always work at McDonalds or Wal-Mart! Now if some of them have some real skill in the printing industry that might help. Too bad for them.
    Rex

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

They can always do what everybody in the congregation told me to do when I was starting out in life with just a high school diploma and restaurant experience........

Matthew 6:33- I guess the bethelites that got the boot can really put that scripture to the test now they are no longer under "mother's wing"

• LDH
    LDH
    but I cannot imagine that the WTBTS has anything in writing that would ultimately give the Bethelites any legal recourse.

A contract does not have to be in writing to be enforceable. A VERBAL contract where a meeting of the minds takes place is just as effective in a court of law, especially as regards to terms of employment and what is promised.

I just completed a process where I took a former employer to task for not following through on VERBAL commitments where witnesses were present. Because there was a meeting of the minds, there was a contract, which is enforceable.

Silent is correct with regards to NY law. We grew up in very close proximity to each other (Upstate NY) and are both sharp enough to provide legal insight, not legal determination.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit