Lots of Bethelites Not Happy With Downsizing

by Seeker4 106 Replies latest jw friends

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

Boy this is getting upclose and personal, they are shutting sites all over the net. Why is it that they've got such power over host providers?

Thats a good question. I thought on the internet anything basically goes. What are they saying to get these sites shut down? Very weird that they are able to have this much power. Guess they made sure their lawyers went to the best law schools huh? While the we are ordered to go to nothing more than a community college if that.

• desertlily
    desertlily

FYI Brothers and Sisters re: e-watchman aka paradise cafe website

[quote author=Timothy ]

There was a mix-up in billing because of Robert's relocation to the UK. We got it resolved, but were told that the sites will be offline for up to 24 hours after the billing corrections are made, so it may not be until tomorrow sometime before service is restored. --Timothy

[/quote] http://christian-discussions.com/forum/index.php

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Europe is very different then the US. In particular because the US was founded on religious puritan beliefs. The US courts still lean towards favor on the religious organization's side then the individual's side. Though over the years it is starting to change a little, however, slowly it goes.

If you think about it, Bush is a religious nut. Bible thumpers still have a strangle hold the US. They are a large force to deal with. People may think that most other religions don't like JWs would be glad to take down the WTBTS. However, any laws that are put into place regarding one religion would set precedent, you cannot hold up one religion and then not use that same measuring stick on other religions as well. Think of all the funny religions, they would not want a change in the "volunteer" status either, because it would effect them as well.

I know people like to think that watching France and what they ultimately do will have some effect over here as well. Even if something happens in France to change the status of JWs, do you really think it will effect JWs here in the State. Hell no! The US hates France and the other way around. If anything, the US will hold up France and what they did as a violation of something like religious freedom.

Anyways, JWs would just use it as a form of persecution and support their claim that the US and the courts are run by Satan and Satan is trying to destroy them. This will just bolster JWs to preach more and do more. The struggle needs to come from within.

• gumby
    gumby

What seems strange to me in all of this is HOW the society is APPROACHING this....as well as other recent CHANGES.

In times past, the society cleverly primed the flock via Watchtower Study articles to any coming changes. They did this so as not to cause a stir among the publishers and to make the "adjustment" go smoother. Yet recently, they have a 'if you don't like it then leave' additude, rather than a fear of causing desent amoung the ranks.

My guess is, they see the loss of longstanding members exiting them as a minor problem vs. those that aren't affected.

. They bank on the majority as staying loyal as they have through their history when major changes/adjustments are made. They bank on undeveloped (3rd world) countries for growth and financial prosperity. It seems someone has done the math and chose the "we don't give a shit if you like our changes or not", as an option that works, saves time and money, and rouses the least amount of suspicion amoung the members.

Gumoldbastard

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

it was WC action.

-----------------------------------

yeah, and that's why THIS IS BIGGER NEWS, even than the Blood article or the pedophilia.

those cases involve PRIVATE individuals taking legal action against the WT. Workman compensation violations involve New York State, THE GOVERNMENT.

Seems the WT could be on the hook for back Workman's comp insurance too. To the tune of several million. And NY State prosecutes workman's comp violations quite aggresively....

can't beleive more haven't picked up on this. I guess unless you've lived in NY State, and dealt with NY State as a small business (my family owns a farm) then you don't appreciate how much of a threat to the WT pocket book this is...

-silent

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

To be accurate, the workman's comp thingy appears to be another example of the WT Re-insurance scam. Apparently, NY State may allow organizations to 'opt-out' of the state plan, and not pay the state premiums for Workman's comp insurance (a few dollars per month per bethelite). It means that the organization (in this case the WT) is on the hook if the worker gets injured on the job.

Thus, because they went the 'el-cheapo' route, they need to have the layoffs to escape legal liability.

-silent

• gumby
    gumby

And this is "Jehovahs loving Organisation"

When one reads in the bible of how the widows, orphans, the poor and needy were taken care of by the congregations.....and compares it to how the society today treats it's "faithful members", it should be obvious to anyone the WTBTS doesn't hold a candle. Millions are spent to "expand" their growth and they are a wealthy organisation, yet their members are suffering at their hands.....sad

Gumby

• looking_glass
    looking_glass
    It means that the organization (in this case the WT) is on the hook if the worker gets injured on the job.

SW - I am confused by this statement. Can you please clarify? Are you saying that they normally are not responsible for on the job injuries or that the chick was injured on the job and then they refused to pay for her care and treatment?

Based on my limited memory of what I read ... the chick was injured attempting to catch the bus on her way to work. So it would not be a work related injury. However, if her job exacerbated her condition and in turn worsened it causing further care and treatment, then there would be issues. Further it is my understanding that they, WTBTS, did pay for some care and treatment (thru their insurance) and kept her around. However, after it was determined that she COULD NOT WORK AT ALL, they laid her off and gave her a stipend to live off of. This is what was sued over. Ultimately, I was unable to get my hands on the pleadings to indicate what she sued under.

I am unclear as to whether certain professionals (docs, attys, dentists, etc.) are paid more then the rank and file at the WTBTS. If this is the case, as a professional and having a specific job title and getting a "salary" she may not be a "volunteer" member and thus, her position would be different then the rest. That may be why there have not been more cases like this filed in NY. I am sure if someone got their hands on the pleadings it would spell out both sides' positions, allegations and defenses.

• bebu
    bebu

The WTS is able to self-insure for workmans comp, and they are apparently agreeing to cover workers now, since they lost the lawsuit.

I recall that a WT bragged that there were no class distinctions among workers at Bethel--all enjoyed the same benefits. It would be great if photos of the dwellings of the GB could be posted. The mega-billions in real estate holdings they own. Salt in the wound might open the eyes.

I think it would be telling to compare the retirement plans of nuns and priests, who have worked for the service of the Catholic church. "Babylon the Great" is a lot more compassionate and fair than "Mother".

bebu

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

What gets my goat is the way that Bethel Service is still held out as a career for young people.
    Go to any District or Circuit Assembly and Bethel Service will be encouraged as a far better option than so called worldly education!
    Eyeslice

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit