Lots of Bethelites Not Happy With Downsizing

by Seeker4 106 Replies latest jw friends

• luna2
    luna2

Might not bring in the police, tij, as that would not reflect well upon Jerhober. However, they could round up some big burly brothers to surround and then belly push the poor protester out of the building.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

Mary,

You wrote:

I don't know if they're downsizing here at the Canadian Bethel.....if they are, those that are being asked to leave will have it a bit better than their American brethren.....Here, they still have full Health Coverage, and when they turn 65, they'll collect the Old Age Pension, plus they can apply for the subsidy.......they'll have about $1,000 - $1,100 a month to live on.....plus, once you turn 65 up here, all your prescription drugs are paid for by the government.......I'm not sure what the practice is in the States. Can someone fill me in?

I spent 40 years at Bethel, and I live in Canada. All I get with Old Age Security and Canada Pension combined is about $200 a month. How do I go about getting $1000 a month? I'd love to know the secret. Anybody else any ideas?

Frank

• wednesday
    wednesday
    We are sure that you brothers and sisters will do what you can to help these dear ones to settle into their changed circumstances

Adopt a bethel family. Serve jehovah with your valuable things.

of course this will fall to the more well to do jws, the middle calss. l will be interested in seeing how how long that lasts.

lol yes they are going to do it. make all the jws in the congs financially responsible for these older bros/sisters who may be in bad health or just a few years from it.

They always find a way to push off the responsibility to the publishers. make them pay. they are saving their money.

And India, wow, what a kick in the face. And if they don't make it, well, jehovah is not behind them. wow.

• parakeet
    parakeet

This downsizing is simply the latest and largest group to be kicked out of Bethel when the gb decides it's inconvenient to let them stay. Here are 2 excerpts from Barbara Grizzuti Harrison's book, Visions of Glory, which describes a few of these "failures of charity" that occurred at Bethel in the 1950s.
    "A young woman who had been a full-time field worker (a 'pioneer') came to Bethel headquarters after her husband had died of a sudden heart attack and her son had, accidentally it was supposed, hanged himself. She was perpetually smiling, sweet, singularly unassertive woman who seemed to have put her personal tragedies behind her. One day, her glasses slipped off and were smashed in the press. She began to howl and scream and cry that immemorial cry--'Why me?'... She was given a Greyhound ticket to her parents' home in the Northwest. (I do not know what has become of her.)"
    And another example:
    "An old man, who had been at Bethel for thirty years, grew senile. His senility took the form of his muttering obscenities at the dining-room table. He was given two 'warnings,' which his hardened arteries obviously couldn't assimilate, and then ordered to leave. He had no resources, financial or emotional. He was last seen begging in downtown Brooklyn."
    The only surprise about this latest downsizing is the large number of Bethelites being tossed out.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

As an outsider (never been a JW, but learning the terminology from this and other sites) I have a confession to make.

Whenever I see the word 'bethel' my brain immediately reads it as 'brothel'.

This phrase in the last posting did not help: " the large number of Bethelites being tossed out. "

I will try to overcome this in the interests of reasoned discussion.

• blondie
    blondie

Joe, Bethel is not a word limited to use by the WTS. I have noticed that many churches have that in their name.

It comes from the Hebrew, Beth-EL, meaning house of God.

Blondie (not I think the WTS is a "house of God")

• Anitar
    Anitar

Hi Juni, thanks for welcoming me, everyone's been so nice to me it's so refreshing. By the way, I stand

corrected on my earlier points about the GB's age. Thanks!

Anitar

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

My brother in law always pointed to the growth of the wt as proof of gods blessing and verification that jw,s were gods org. remember Jehovah will speed it up as the end grows near?

It amazes me how gb can do and say anything and rf swallow it down and are happy for it.

• blondie
    blondie

What is wrong with this statement?

God's blessing is not "the hand of Jehovah" is with his people?

*** w05 9/15 p. 8 Multitudes Embrace Jehovah’s Worship ***

Although numerical increase is not in itself proof of God’s blessing, it does provide evidence that "the hand of Jehovah" is with his people.

*** w61 1/15 p. 47 par. 3 The Purpose of Our Ministry ***

Today the ever-increasing numbers of people of good will who are responding to this lifesaving work of Jehovah’s people and associating with the New World society are positive evidence that Jehovah is truly blessing the ministry of his people.

*** km 2/91 p. 1 par. 7 Boldly Extend the Invitation to "Come!" ***

The vast increase in the Kingdom work and the expansion of branch offices in various lands give evidence of Jehovah’s blessing.

*** km 12/84 p. 3 par. 3 Society Kingdom Hall Fund Progress Report ***

Evidence of Jehovah’s blessing upon his organization is manifest in many ways, including the present numerical increase.

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

Here's some more Blondie:

Examining the Scriptures Daily, May 19th, 2002
    Of course, the number of those associated with Jehovah's Witnesses is not a criterion for determining if they enjoy divine favor.

Watchtower July 1, 2002, p.13, paragraph 17-19
    Now is the time for Jehovah to express mercy to his anointed servants and their other sheep companions. The evidence that this is so is the extraordinary increase with which he has blessed them…18. Each year, hundreds of thousands of additional "foreigners" associate with Jehovah's organisation, and the way will remain open for many more to follow them. Jehovah says to Zion: "Your gates will actually be kept open constantly; they will not be closed even by day or by night, in order to bring to you the resources of the nations, and their kings will be taking the lead" (Isaiah 60:11) Some opposers try to close those 'gates,' but we know that they cannot succeed. Jehovah himself has said that one way or another, the gates will stay open. The increase will continue.
    19. There are still other ways that Jehovah has blessed his people, making them beautiful in these last days.

It's great when they contradict themselves in the very same YEAR!

-ithinkisee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit