Mormons/LDS

by Evanescence 87 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

What would your views be on Mormons?

was there much incidences where jw's and mormons would ever catch eachother while going door-to-door?

Just curious cause both of you do it and wondered if there was ever any conflict between the two....

Evanescence

• Legolas
    Legolas

Here on P.E.I there are only a few mormons! So I anyway only see them every so many years!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

There are a lot of Mormons doing mission work here in our area at times.

I always speak with them at the door when they show up - I think it would be odd if the witnesses would bump into them on the street. I remember seeing them when out in the ministry - but never met at the same door.

I have now eliminated Jw's as having the truth - I don't think the mormons are much closer.

Jeff

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

What would your views be on Mormons?

I would seek out their help and recommendations if I was in the market for a new bike.

Rub a Dub

• TD
    TD

There's lot's of both (JW's & LDS) in my area. I've worked with both. (at once) When it comes to doctrine, they fight likes cats and dogs, but under the skin, they're much more alike than they realize. Pardon the expression, but they're both little piglets suckling from the same sow.

Things they have in common:

1. An aging and all too fallible leadership that claims a special relationship with God and on that basis, considers itself above reproach.

2. An idealized view of their church history that is soundly contradicted by their own period literature.

3. A view of ancient history that is soundly contradicted by archeology.

4. A belief that they are the modern-day restoraton of "true worship"

5. A belief that they are somehow "better" than members outside their faith.

6. A persistent belief that global cataclysm is only a few years away at most.

• Alana
    Alana

I remember once many moons ago, when I was still an active JW, I was at my good friend's house and two nice Mormon boys made the ill-fated decision to knock on the door. My friend's husband was just starting to attend meetings and his friend (a jerk-like elder) was also visiting. The guys let the Mormon boys in and at first acted interested, then spun it around to try to witness to them. They made the poor boys squirm a bit in their questions and they if it wasn't a question to which they had a prepared comment, they were truly lost.

I remember my friend and I staying back in the kitchen and thinking how mislead those poor boys were and how spiritual our guys were.......YIKES!! Looking back, those boys were no different than most of the JWs......they prepare their script for the door-to-door work and if approached with deeper questions or 'attacks' to their faith, they can be speechless.

My step-daughter's ex-boyfriend was a Mormon and she started going with him to some church activities and we could tell he had been 'witnessing' to her and it had me worried, as I felt she was too young (16) to be making such life changing decisions such as leaving her church to convert. He was, however, a sweetheart and was a sincere, hardworking boy seemingly with high morals. So, I have nothing against him personally or his family....I just worried about her getting caught up in the religion solely for the boy. He is getting ready to go on his Mission after graduation and they recently broke up.

I know that we have had Mormons on this board and I don't mean anything bad toward them, but my own opinion from what I have experienced and read about LDS church, I feel they are just as 'cult-like' and mislead as JWs. Good people for the most part, but just some 'out there' beliefs.

We live out in the boondocks, so I doubt if they would want to venture out to our place. Oh, I just thought about some past JW friends of mine who moved out to Salt Lake City many years ago. They came back after a couple of years, but I remember he saying that their territory was about 95% Mormon (or at least that it felt like it), so Field Service wasn't very productive.

~"Alana"

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

what would your view on the eastern orthodox church be?

because i seem to remember there being a bunch of childish disagreements between them and the catholics. you know, the great schizm of 1054 AD ( - 1450's) where each of the churches excommunicated each others followers?

just wondering if that ever gets in the way of regular businesss for catholics? you know, running into eastern orthodox people when you're out warring against other catholics?

TS

• OldSoul
    OldSoul
    I remember my friend and I staying back in the kitchen and thinking how mislead those poor boys were and how spiritual our guys were.......YIKES!! Looking back, those boys were no different than most of the JWs......they prepare their script for the door-to-door work and if approached with deeper questions or 'attacks' to their faith, they can be speechless.

Exactly! Proof of the point: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/98798/1708287/post.ashx#1708287

OldSoul

• RevFrank
    RevFrank

I didn't know this was a Mormon forum too.I'm only joking. But I'm not when I say there are many a mormon who lists and writes in this forum. How Do i know this? Simple, the writings. I, too, lived in Nauvoo Illinois where the first main Mormon belief came up. Oh I know, they started in Missouri too, but Joe Smith was run out of town. But in Nauvoo Smith established the religion the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. But then again Brigham Young altered the church when Young went to create Salt Lake City, after Smith's death.

What's the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints? They are a group that broke off from Brigham Young and settled in Missouri. Oh yeah...they don't like being called Mormons. Or at least my 12th grade high school girl friend told me. She belonged to the Organized group.

Anyway they are a group of good folks, that includes the jehovah witnesses.What do they have in connon? Easy answer......" But even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are parishing, whose minds the god of htis age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ , who is the image of God, should shine on them."(2Corinthians 4: 3,4)

Oh yeah..one more thing in common...."knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation."(2Peter 1:20)

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I quite like them

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit