Mormons/LDS

by Evanescence 87 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

how do I get pictures to show in firefox? Hi Danny, they picked the wrong guy to buzz the day they screwed you.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Qcmbr, with all due respect, the "men on the moon" thing sounds a lot like JW's and their pre-flood water canopy theory: a now-embarrassing assertion made by long-deceased leaders of the movement but never officially declared null and void by the current leadership, so JW's just sorta don't talk about that....

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Maybe, but if you want to reject JS you'd hopefully do it a lot earlier on rather than with some obscure references that don't have any doctrinal point.

If I was ever made a prophet (highly doubtful - my wife won't let me have a beard) there are soooo many things I've said that would be used by critics to point out my fallability (like when I said Liverpool would never win the European cup again and that I was going to be an olympic long jumper and my high school comment - 'the holocaust never happened' (before I get flamed I got my terms mixed up, I meant something totally different - what a goof ball!)) Suffice to say - being a prophet / leader of a church does not stop error/opinion(even Moses made a few prize goof ups while a prophet.) By their fruits ye shall know them.

Just for interest sake you should read the story of JS (I'd start with his version before heading to his critics) - its interesting and you may find some sympathy with his early questions and struggles with empty religion.

• TD
    TD

Hi Qcmbr,

Forget the art used to illustrate the BOM , it's just guesswork and certainly not a statement of how it really was.

You're right, these are certainly not photographs, they are only artist's conceptions. That's why I pointed out that this particular scene (Abinadi amid the splendor (Mosiah 11:8) of King Noah) has been, "...variously rendered by Mormon artists."

That doesn't remove the problem because these pictures are simply illustrative of things that are in the text of the BOM itself.

The BOM describes cultures that employed gold and silver as jewelry, ornamentation and a medium of exchange:(Jacob 1:16; 2:12; Jarom 1:8; Mosiah 2:12; 4:19; 8:9; 11:3, 8, 9, 11; 19:15; 22:12; 28:11; Alma 1:29; 4:6; 11:3, 4 ,5, 7, 8, 9, 10; 15:16; 17:14; 31:24; Helaman 6:9, 11, 31; 7:21; 3 Ne 6:2; 24:3)

It describes copper alloy (e.g. bronze and brass) armor (Mosiah 8:10) like the two soldiers are wearing in the picture. It describes iron and even steel(!) and all manner of metallic tools and weapons.(2 Ne 5:15; Jarom 1:8)

Pictures or no pictures, the BOM describes the production of an abundance of durable objects. Gold for example is sometimes poetically called, "The eternal metal" because once it's been mined, smelted and refined, it never returns to its natural state.

There's an exhibition currently touring America entitled, "Treasures From the Royal Tombs of Ur." I think it's somewhere in the midwest right now. This exhibition features hundreds of perfectly preserved gold and gold alloy (e.g. electrum) artifacts that were already ancient at the time of Christ. (This collection is 4500 years old.) Another one toured a few years ago entitled "Treasures of Ancient Egypt" Same story --- Hundreds and hundreds of artifacts that were already over a thousand years old at the time of Christ.

Regardless of what one believes about the Bible, there can be little doubt about the existence of the ancient Sumerians and Egyptians. Leaving things behind is a trademark of human beings and the more advanced a culture becomes, the more it leaves behind.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Hi TD - did you see my earlier post with all the pictures (you need IE for some reason?)

• TD
    TD

Hi TD - did you see my earlier post with all the pictures (you need IE for some reason?)
    I can't... The pictures are on your local C drive (C:\Documents and Settings\Dave\Desktop\New Folder) which is not accessible from "the other side" of the internet. Pictures have to be hosted on a server with a public IP
  • Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

aww cr*p OK. Let me repost the pics.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Qcmbr,

try snapfish.com, hosted by hp, its free and easy.

After you set up an account, and upload you picture, just copy and paste the URL to the picture using the "insert a picture from the web" icon here at JWD.

steve.

PS, with all due respect, I'll have to admit that your reasoning of LSD history, and prophet quotation is a pile of pants. IMHO. But, thanks for sharing your explanation. And I do appreciate your style of explanation too.

• TD
    TD

I think this might be a site in the same vein:

http://www.the-book-of-mormon.com/photos-page3.html

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Haha - and I do this sort of thing for a living. What a goof ball I am.

Cross Image.

Bearded bloke

His bearded mate.

Middle Eastern Gold Plates

Potentially white and coloured people.

Old World text in Oklahoma. Just pretend you can see more than a fuzzy yellow block.

Some very similar concepts and images from American tribe.

Cemented buildings (with spacious views, parking and great neighbours;)

America's stonehenge.

Can't remember why this was useful - something about an egyptian motif and story.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit