Mormons/LDS

by Evanescence 87 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• daystar
    daystar

Hey, I'm all for any religion that seeks to enslave the masses. Makes them easier to herd.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

I’ve had Mormons stop by my doorstep twice now in the last two months or so. The first time I just told them that I wasn’t interested. I was expecting JW’s and was looking forward to giving them a thrashing so I was a little disappointed when I found out they were Mormons.

The second time they came by I asked them all kinds of doctrinal questions. They handled my questions quite well, which led me to believe that these particular two gents were well versed in their religion. They left me with a pamphlet that tells the story of how the church got founded. It felt like reading and looked like WBTS rhetoric. The boys were nice and I enjoyed our chat however I tend to agree with TD regarding some of the similarities that he’s mentioned.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I had a study going with a lovely young mother of 6. Her husband was very abusive and kept her and her children literally boarded up in her house a good bit of the time. In fact, I thought her house might be abandoned the first time I called on her. Pretty soon after I started calling on her, the Mormons started as well. She was able to easily refute them with information from me. But she also saw through them and would go over what they were trying to teach her, each week with me, after our study. I hope that Linda never did get baptized. She ended up with 14 children, the last time I called on her.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Very many moons ago when I was about 17 I was engaged in the door to door ministry of Jehovah's Witnesses with a pioneer fella who was a couple of years older than me and a passer-by asked us if we were affiliated with the "Joseph Smith movement." We answered, "Uh, no sir, we're JWs." "Ah," was all he said as he went on his way. I and my buddy looked at each other and verbally wondered who this Smith guy was.

Flash forward 8 years and I've recently left the JWs and on the advice from the congo that I was spiritually endangering her, my wife left me. A couple of Mormon dudes....er... elders knocked on my door. I asked if they had a Book of Mormon I could have. They didn't, and said they'd come back with one. So we made an appointment for them to make a return visit ( ) and they gave me a free BoM, and asked if we could read a portion from within. I said sure, and it was several verses about some guy traveling far into the Americas and by faith was led to some place and did this and that and the other thing and when we finally finished they asked if they could say a prayer. I said sure, so off they went with "Heavenly Father, we thank you for blah blah blah and may Jason here have his eyes opened to the truth of the Book of Mormon blah blah blah Amen!" And I said "Amen" as well. Then they asked if I felt any different. Apparently at this point the Holy Spirit is supposed to envelope a person and guide him towards becoming fascinated with Mormonism. I didn't feel anything, other than "this is getting weird." So I politely said No and I had expected their visit to be brief as I had something else planned very soon (in other words, I kicked them out so I could read the newspaper online and get drunk).

Other than meeting the occasional Mormon online and doing work for certain customers who were clearly Mormon (they all have the same picture of Jesus in their homes, as well as 18 kids), that's been the extent of my dealings with members of the LDS church.

• tdogg
    tdogg

Well, since I live in the capitol of Zion as they call it, I tend to have mixed feelings. I have met the full spectrum range of Mormon types. Yes, they can be easily categorized due to years of genetic restriction. Do you not believe me? Well come spend some time here and you will see for yourself.

I play basketball once a week at a Mormon church with a very nice group of guys. Some of the most amazing people I have met are LDS, some are downright evil. Most of the time they do not bother you but there are times one just wants to scream and slap that goofy smile off their face and say "ARE YOU F*CKING KIDDING ME!" But we don't.

Mormons in groups are very annoying. Therefore if you work somewhere with a high percentage of Mormons you will be in for some aggravation, especially if those in charge are Mormons. Church hierarchy will take over in the workplace.

Yes when I was a JW publisher we ran into Mormons about say, every other house on average. In some neighborhoods more, some less. Few wanted to argue with us most were very nice and just didn't want to be bothered (like everyone else who's doorbell we rang). If you run across the missionaries while in door to door work they probably would not engage you in a dogmatic debate. They would be kind, exchange pleasantries, ask a few questions and smile that goofy smile, then be off on their way. Most are much kinder and far less depressed than JW's. But then, a mission is only 2 years long whereas door to door goes on and on and on and on and...well you get my point.

Little known fact: Mormons from outside Utah behave much differently than Mormons raised in Utah. I generally prefer Mormans who were not raised in Utah. Perhaps its the "Mormons in groups are annoying" axiom at work here.

• TD
    TD
    Mormons from outside Utah behave much differently than Mormons raised in Utah

That's funny. The Mormons here in Arizona will roll their eys and use the expression "Utah Mormon" almost like it's a swear word

• mormon 4 life
    mormon 4 life

hi every1 we lds are very good people & we are ot like the jw's

• under74
    under74

mormon 4 life--I don't doubt that there are very good people in LDS...in my experience with mormons however (including family members) the same kind of narrow minded thinking prevails. Doesn't mean that all mormons are the same. I know that some mormon people are more open to change unlike most JWs HOWEVER for me the beliefs of both Mormons and JWs are too similiar and...sorry-- but crazy. Both religions sprouted from the same seed and although the LDS has gone main stream I still will think of it as closely related to JWs....but don't take this as a slight against all mormon people. I don't think all JWs are awful...just misguided.

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

i've seen a lot of morons in my congregation.

• Evanescence
    Evanescence
    hi every1 we lds are very good people & we are ot like the jw's

Hello Mormon 4 life what are your basic beliefs? I heard a bit about mormons, but I never get them to my door Heard they are a nice bunch though.... Evanescence

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit