"What will I do with all my suits?"

by jgnat 69 Replies latest jw friends

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

jgnat, I loved to read this posts,

and brother Jack must remember that it is contagious to read all of these posts - please do.

Maybe you get infected as well.

• Legolas
    Legolas

I have heard of a charity that you give clothes to help poorer people get jobs! It might be called 'dress for success', or something!

• Sassy
    Sassy

jg, I am so happy to read your news!! Its so hard sometimes to see through the brothers when you have been brainwashed.. your patience has paid off.. and you are there to help him!

as for the jackets, well I had a lot of nice dress clothes myself when I first left. I left them in the closet for a while.. I didn't really do anything with them for a while.. but over time you get ready to let go of them from lack of needing them..

slowly they are all going.. but once in a while they are nice to have when you do something special..

• jgnat
    jgnat

Nice replies, all. Country_Woman, Jack is about your age. I am sure if you met you would have much to talk about.

Legolas, if my hubby was a generous man, that would be a great idea. But, like many Witnesses, he is still very enamoured of the trappings and wouldn't give up his "treasures" easily. I'm the one who shares the spare cookies with our neighbours. He counts the remainder to make sure he isn't forgotten.

Once when he showed a particularly nasty streak of possessiveness (I gave my street-living son ten dollars), I related the story of the ungrateful servant. (Matthew 18:21-35) I asked him, "Why did that man beat the other for what he was owed? Did he forget he was forgiven? I say that people who think they are poor are the ones who to cling to what they have. What would your mama have done? Wouldn't she have given you anything you needed, slip you ten dollars, because she loves you so much? Look around you! You are rich, I tell you, rich! "

Proverbs 23:5 NIV Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone,
    for they will surely sprout wings
    and fly off to the sky like an eagle.

The JW's have it all backwards. While they try and restrain their "materialism", they are acquisitive in other areas (reaching out, paradise). They start from a position of spiritual poverty. The Watchtower compounds the poverty by holding out the carrot of Paradise, creating a grasping, acquisitive, greedy people. That's why they are so miserly holding out forgiveness for others.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I can't believe I missed this thread.

Great news jgnat!

As for the suits...

Perhaps you might remind him James 5:2f: "Your riches have rotted, and your clothes are moth-eaten. Your gold and silver have rusted, and their rust will be evidence against you, and it will eat your flesh like fire. You have laid up treasure for the last days."

Or, in a more peaceful way, the Indian proverb: "Whatever is not given is lost."

• horrible life
    horrible life

jgnat A new girl at work, talking about birthdays, asked me when mine was, I said I really don't like birthdays. (getting old) She asked me if it was a religion thing? My mouth fell open, she said her father was an elder in the town. I thought, OMG we have a JW at work!!! I started digging, she said she wasn't. Her father started studing, became a witness, mother couldn't tolerate it, and left. Father remarried when she was 16. New step-mother, a JW, wanted her gone. So dad kicked her out. She is about 26 now. Married with 2 young children.

She said she just cannot understand how a parent could do this. Same very small town, and was kicked out, and he never speaks to her, Your post

The JW's have it all backwards. ; While they try and restrain their "materialism", they are acquisitive in other areas (reaching out, paradise). ; They start from a position of spiritual poverty. ; ;The Watchtower compounds the poverty by holding out the carrot of Paradise, creating a grasping, acquisitive, greedy people. ; That's why they ;are so miserly ;holding out forgiveness ;for others. ;

I think will explain alot to her. I gave her this website, I told her if she just posted this short story, that she would have soooo many people reply that had either had this happen, or understood why it happened.

She is in the process of getting her computer udated. She will post in the near future, I am sure. In the meantine, I will give her your post. HL

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Ok First my apology for not looking at this earlier. I saw "suits" and since I know nothing about "suits" I never looked at who started the thread. Until today So I opened up and read the beginning and dropped my jaw on the floor. JG I cannot tell you how I feel about this news. (In view of Jack 'Hi Jack I will hold my tongue) Ok maybe not But as I kept reading I started laughing - LOUD. (Wonders if Jack heard me) Jack you might want to sign up and join in. We really aren't as bad as you think.

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Jgnat,

That is great news. I have been away from the boards, so I am sorry I didn't see your post sooner!

I am so happy. For him to say this is remarkeable. The suits. Well he obviously likes wearing them. Anything that will allow him to do so is definitely a thing to do. SOunds like you got a lot of good suggestions already. What kind of work does he do if you don't mind me asking? Would he consider a career change? Maybe something that would let him wear his suits?

So the damage has been done. JWBB (jw behaving badly) come through again!!! It is just inevitable that if you have a bunch of people that are so sure of themselves, it is going to cause some of lesser character to display their certainty with pride and ugliness. I am still looking for some marks at our hall. I figure if I get someone to treat me like a jerk it will really come in handy. Bottom line, he is looking for the door. Have you considered any of the deprogramming videos on freeminds? I think it is a lot to expect some folks to read books like COC. I think a one hour dvd could be just as devastating. It is simply a more efficient way to present info. Don't give it to him obviously. Let him see the box, and he will pop it in. If he is looking for the door, he will be looking to justify it.

Sorry I don't have any suggestions. I haven't gotten any of those videos yet.

Prayers for you and your poor abused husband.

CYP

P.S. Hey Jack... the days of you guys coming in with all the angles worked out and slicing/dicing us unbelieving mates are over. You used to know how to head us off at every turn, you used to know every move we would make before we even knew what hit us. You would swoop in and steal our families leaving us with the choice of subjugating our minds to the "Bible trained" whims of imperfect men, or being alienated from our loved ones.

The free exchange of information (something you people don't allow because the wt can't survive it) has enabled us to slice and dice you. We know your every move. We know how to head you off. It's a new day Jack. I hope someday you to will realize that perfect gift of salvation doesn't require you to join "the right group" of imperfect people. It also doesn't require that you spy and treat adults like children. Take care Jack.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Congratulations Jgnat! Does your hubby come here? If not, he should!

I still have my suits in case of special occasions, although losing weight might mean they fall off me now (I haven't worn one in ages!).

Here in England we celebrate Guy Fawkes or bonfire night on 5 November. We make a figure of a man (Guy Fawkes, who tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament but got caught), put him on a pile of wood and then burn it. You could always join in and dress your effigy up in suit. You could call it P.O. night and set fire to it. At the same time, you could place all your husband's Watchtower literature on the fire - burning the past!

Otherwise, give the suits to a charity! Anything is better than wearing them for a KH meeting again!

Really pleased for you both!

Ian

• jgnat
    jgnat

Naaah, he doesn't come here yet. He says the place is full of APOSTATES. He does ask for the board opinion on the Yankees here and there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit