Americans, Do You Think it's Time to Get Out of Iraq?

by Robdar 63 Replies latest jw friends

• Robdar
    Robdar

Katrina and now, possibly, Rita. Can we afford to stay in this war with Iraq? Doesn't Homeland Security start at home?

Is it time to get out of Iraq?

• prophecor
    prophecor

Unfortunately Rodbar, we should have never gotten involved in the first place. Now that the US is in there, leaving will be next to impossible. The country is already in a mass of turmoil, if we pull out now, there will be a mass of problems that will just snowball into worse situations. The US will be there until the terrorist who are making a stand in that country are no more. A very highly unlikely reality. They live to die and die to live, there whole mentality is on a level that is unlike those of the west. They have a way about viewing death that cannot be matched by western culture and society.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    Unfortunately Rodbar, we should have never gotten involved in the first place. Now that the US is in there, leaving will be next to impossible. The country is already in a mass of turmoil, if we pull out now, there will be a mass of problems that will just snowball into worse situations. The US will be there until the terrorist who are making a stand in that country are no more. A very highly unlikely reality. They live to die and die to live, there whole mentality is on a level that is unlike those of the west. They have a way about viewing death that cannot be matched by western culture and society.

Hi Prophecor. I used to feel as you do. I felt that way up to about a week ago. I've decided, though, that Iraq will be a mess for a long time. It will be a mess with us there. It will be a mess without us there. Why stick around and keep making a mess? Let's pull-out, and while we fly homewards, let's drop off care packages of guns and ammo so that the people of Iraq can work it out for themselves. I'm only half joking about this. I hope you have a nice night. Robyn

• prophecor
    prophecor

I am impressed, however with the ones who continue to enlist in the armed forces, despite the very likelyhood that they'll be deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan. They are described as the next great generation, much like those who took on the charge of fighting during the second world war. After September 11, 2001, according to statistics, there was a dramatic upsurge in those who enlisted.

Despite the perils of war, these young ones who are coming behind us show a lot of promise for what's to be left of our future. They are seeming to raise themselves up from the darkness of our human failings our past and the problems that my generation have subjected them to, and growing into a nation of strong, proud and a selfless of people. They're taking on the stewed mess that many of we baby boomers have left and made something more palatable out of it.

They will have a legacy of being true heroes and great leaders for our future when this is over. War is hell, but it can transform you into what's necessary to move the future forward into a more desireable place. They are many, a brave and to be honored group of people, in spite of it all.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The right time was actually back in March 2003. (imho)

• Simon
    Simon

I don't think the US or the UK should think about leaving until the country is stable. I think this means that we'll be there for at least 10 years, as predicted.

The correct course was not to make the mess in the first place. Since we have made a god awful mess the thing we need to do now is tidy it up, not run away.

Q. If America says it's had enough and runs home do you think ANY country would ever back any action it wants to take ever again? They would be a laughing stock IMO and be admitting that they could not deliver. The only legitimate way to exit early and save face would be to prosecute those responsible for crimes (ie. say it was a dreadful mistake and throw Bush and Rumsfeld in the slammer for it).

• Robdar
    Robdar
    The right time was actually back in March 2003. (imho)

Yup.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    The only legitimate way to exit early and save face would be to prosecute those responsible for crimes (ie. say it was a dreadful mistake and throw Bush and Rumsfeld in the slammer for it).

Oh, if only it could be done.

• Simon
    Simon
    Let's pull-out, and while we fly homewards, let's drop off care packages of guns and ammo so that the people of Iraq can work it out for themselves.

Does that mean the same should have been done during the LA riots or NO? It doesn't seem fair or just for the regular people who we have inflicted this chaos on!

I wonder how long it will be before people look back on Saddam's rule as being "better days". That would truly be a sad indictment of what we have delivered.

The pretence that the war was started on was WoMD. When it was clear that was a lie then the story was switched to being "bringing democracy". Are we now going to abandon that story too because it looks too difficult (and only a half-assed job was done)?

• Simon
    Simon
    Oh, if only it could be done.

If not, I'd be happy to make do with a good old fashioned firing squad

I find it hard to believe that the same country that saw it necessary to impeach one president for some hanky panky doesn't see the need to hold the current president account for the unbelievable carnage that him and his cronies have created and for the LIES that they told to do it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit