How do you interact on the board?

by Fe2O3Girl 37 Replies latest jw friends

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Do you bother reading people's posts when you start a topic, and acknowledge their response? I read, in fact am, anxious to see if anyone has responded. But I don't always acknowledge. I'm still learning how to behave on these boards, sheltered JW life still affects me.

Do you read all the posts on a thread when you post to see if someone has added more details, or already posted what you would have said? Yes Or just respond to the original post and ignore the rest? Usually the initial.

Are you an old thread reviver, bringing 3 year old threads back to the top? No

Do you feel it is very important to type a response to a troll that made one post three days ago and hasn't said anything since? Not really, probably because I know how busy I can get.

Do you find that you get very little feedback to your posts, or that you are generally a thread killer? I do. Yes, me too at times. Other times I have gotten great feedback. I guess it depends on the subject. Plus I'm still new.

• jt stumbler
    jt stumbler

I don't write anything on here that I would'nt say to someone face to face. Unlike some who I've noticed hide behind their keyboard and regurgitate their retoric knowing that they would probably get b**ch slapped otherwise.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yeah being behind a computer seems to make some feel powerful, but it's a false power. I'd like to meet some who have said certain things to me on this board. I really doubt they would have the guts to say it to my face being that I am a 6 foot, 220 pound, black woman who doesnt smile much.

• Cognitive_Dissident
    Cognitive_Dissident

Hey, so what's the topic here? Ha, just kidding. I kill me.

Do you bother reading people's posts when you start a topic, and acknowledge their response? I haven't started too many topics, ok one, but I did check on it and respond.
    Do you read all the posts on a thread when you post to see if someone has added more details, or already posted what you would have said? Or just respond to the original post and ignore the rest? Yes to the first, no to the second.
    Are you an old thread reviver, bringing 3 year old threads back to the top? Nope.
    Do you feel it is very important to type a response to a troll that made one post three days ago and hasn't said anything since? Not if it's old, but if it's fresh I like to throw my two cents in.
    Do you find that you get very little feedback to your posts, or that you are generally a thread killer? So far I feel like I've gotten good feedback from the posts I've made. And I'm sure at some point I'll completely kill a thread, although I haven't done it yet. I'm still pretty new, though, so I'm sure it's bound to happen.

and Tetrapod - I'm a big fan of your writing, your posts were my first introduction to Dawkins, of whom I now have slight knowledge of, as opposed to the none I had before.

• heathen
    heathen

I'm only here to chase skirts ................ oh and learn about the seemy under belly of the Jdub cult that has ruined so many lives ............................ I will usually read the original post only but alot of times I read all the posts .It depends on how far into the thread . If say it's 1-3 pages long I will read all posts but if say it's 3 to whatever will skim and try to pick out the interesting parts .

• Terry
    Terry

I've spoken to several people who have posted here on JWD and then left for good because they felt they were hardly acknowledged at all.

Everybody has the human need to be personally recognized.

When a person starts a NEW TOPIC it is only polite to read the content of their first post completely before responding. I've had people repeatedly jump in the middle of one of my topic's and ignore every proviso I carefully laid out to avoid misunderstanding.

A thread often takes twists and turns. However, the most irksome hijacking often follows two posters jumping onto a side issue and chatting back and forth ignoring the THEME of the thread itself.

I've come to expect I won't be read when I post a long and complicated response. I shoot myself in the foot when I do that. Will I ever learn? I'm trying!

But, there are certain posters here who seem to lurk about waiting to pin somebody to the mat on an errant digression and make an issue of it AS THOUGH minutia is the heart and soul of logic and not the periphery.

Also, there is a lot of moaning and complaining when you don't agree with a pet belief and you can be accused of all sorts of things when all you are doing is taking issue with an attitude in an honest fashion.

The most difficult part of conversing with the printed word is being able to convey the actual TONE of your intention. Let's face it; words can be read in a wide number of emotional tones and we usually (humanly) react with our emotions before our better sense prevails.

T.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Terry- even though I don't often reply, I do look forward to reading your posts. You have an elegant way of expressing yourself, and are very articulate and well-read.

To answer the question: I read much more than I post. It bugs me when I craft a thoughtful, thought-provoking post, and for whatever reason it gets lost in the shuffle and no one acknowledges it; therefore, I often keep my thoughts on deeper subjects to myself. I try hard not to reply to people who seem to be trying to pick a fight, but once in a while, I give in to temptation.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

I must admit to intellectual laziness, because I find it easier to take in and respond to shorter posts.

There are also some posters who I consider to be a huge asset to the board - Blondie, Leolaia, Farkel, Narkissos are amongst them - but I very rarely reply to their posts because I haven't got anything to add (and I am intimidated by their superior knowledge and wit).

What I have noticed from this thread is that most of us feel like we don't get much feedback - even posters that I had thought of as being in the more popular or visible group. So, I'll try not to get too worried about it!

Thanks for your comments!

Rachel

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

I always follow the threads I start, and if a thread has particulary interested me I'll follow it. Thing is on this board, you go to sleep, wkae up and its completely changed!

• trevor
    trevor

When I first started posting here I was thoughtful and sincere as were most of the posters back then. My aim was to help Jehovah’s Witnesses that visited the sight and leave them impressed by how reasonable and balanced their ex-brothers and sisters were. This would encourage them to return and find the help they needed. Also to help those who have left and are looking for support Like all things in life, forums evolve and constantly change, we change with them and can be affected by the style of other posters. Sometimes it is easy to forget how far we have travelled since we were Jehovah’s Witnesses. I bear in mind that individual JWs are not personally responsible for the hurt we have felt as a result of the Watchtower Society. Projecting anger or personal feelings onto someone for our own benefit will help neither them nor us. Sometimes a desire to be noticed can affects good taste when making comments, so I try to avoid this trap. When I make respond to someone’s comments, I try to stop and ask - what am I trying to achieve by commenting and how will it affect the person it is intended for?

I am actually invisible in real life so I do not expect a response to my comments - this way I am not disappointed. If someone does respond to me then it is a pleasant surprise.

Trevor

The invisible man….......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit