WTS Emergency Meeting

by doinmypart 50 Replies latest jw friends

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

The Disaster Relief Committee at Patterson organized 3 meetings this past Memorial Day, Monday September 5, 2005. The meetings were held in Lake Charles, Louisiana; Bossier City, Louisiana; and Ball, Louisiana. Over 1,200 elders were in attendance from Louisiana, Missouri, Arkansas, and Texas. I took horrible notes, but want to share a few things.

The elder opening the meeting emphasized the importance of confidentiality. All cell phones were to be turned off, except their's in case they received a call from Patterson. Confidentiality was stressed, they don't want family members or publishers to know the details of this meeting. WTS will release reports later through the proper channel.

WTS Disaster Relief called the meeting to inform local elders of what the current situation is and what will be happening in the future.

8 Regional Building Committees (RBCs) are working together as a Hurricane Katrina Relief Committee (HKRC). Patterson is in contact with this group at least twice a day every day planning and organizing.

Day one after the hurricane a few brothers from the HKRC went into New Orleans/Slidell area and began assessing damage to Kingdom Halls. The elders divided parts of southeast Louisiana into zones, my notes are sketchy and memory missing a few points, but in one zone 5 KHs are gone, 2 heavily damaged. Around Lake Pontchartrain 7 KHs are gone, 7 moderate damage, and some with light damage. On day two the brothers did more assessments, but martial law was put in place and they had to leave.

The elder handling one of the parts was very critical of Red Cross. He said the HKRC was going into shelters in Louisiana and Mississippi to identify and get JWs out. At Red Cross shelters they encountered problems, Red Cross officials wouldn't let them in. The brother said Red Cross gets money for every person they shelter so they didn't want JWs leaving the shelter. The elders dressed as if they were evacuees in order to gain entrance into the shelters and then once inside they put on their district convention lapel badges and walked around the shelters. The elder was very proud of this deception, and several elders in attendance seemed satisfied with the ploy. All of the JWs that were in shelters are now in JW homes. There are 3,000 - 4,000 displaced JWs, there are 8 missing from New Orleans. Patterson wants elders to get the name and home congregation of displaced JWs that begin attending KHs in new locations. This point was stressed. My thoughts are that WTS can't afford to let any JWs use this as an opportunity to fade or stop attending meetings. From the way the point was made to get publisher information and report it to WTS, methinks they are more concerned with losing members than members' welfare.

100% of Spanish JWs are accounted for because they were at their district convention, while only 90% of English JWs are accounted for...no doubt because they weren't at their convention. I don't see how those percentages match up to the numbers of missing they gave. Again, I think they are just trying to use this as another means to guilt people into going to the meetings and assemblies/conventions.

WTS says this is the biggest thing they have had to deal with. They need the cooperation of all congregations for Jehovah's glory. The HKRC will organize 40 departments working out of Kenner and Metairie. Patterson has a Communication Center setup in Tulane and 5 satellite offices (30-35 people per office) around the gulf area. These 40 departments will have a total staff of 500 personnel. There is a wireless computer hub being setup in Houston. At this hub, they are developing software just for Katrina relief, and they also have a dedicated line to Patterson. When construction begins on KHs and JW homes there will be approximately 5,000 - 7,000 construction volunteers used. No mention of where these volunteers will come from. My guess is perhaps workers from KH construction and Branch construction.

They concluded by telling us to prepare, offer, and wait for direction. They repeated getting names and congregation info of displaced JWs. And they told us to tell know one of the details of the meeting, and reports will be released through the proper channel.

And so there you have it.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Don't worry, I'll keep this between you and me!

Kwin

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    The elder opening the meeting emphasized the importance of confidentiality. All cell phones were to be turned off, except their's in case they received a call from Patterson. Confidentiality was stressed, they don't want family members or publishers to know the details of this meeting. WTS will release reports later through the proper channel.

For crying out loud----what is with all this secrecy???? Aren't all attendees to this high mucky-muck meeting all properly cleared ad identified? It's not as if they are the CIA meeting with the FBI to discuss how to take out terrorists! Talking about "how best to serve the brotherhood" is supposed to be the focus isn't it? Why is THAT secret?

"Proper channels" always sounds so needlessly selective and more suspect than the ones running this dog and pony show.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Well, at least they are doing something, but it seems they would get so much more done if they actually worked with other disaster relief teams instead of working around them. And the accusation about the RC... what was that for? To discourage anyone from giving a dime to another organization?
    Of course, it's hard to work with other organizations when you have already dealt with YOUR people only, and are now concerned about the church buildings. Assessing Kingdom Halls the day after the storm? Couldn't that wait a week? The WTS won't allow them to be used for disaster shelters anyways, so what's their hurry?
    This makes me angry. They are giving lip service to disaster relief. Spinning their wheels over property. I wonder what their donated % is that actually gets to the field? Of course they'll never report that... 500 office personnel? Developing software? What about rubber gloves and hipwaders? For what they actually accomplish, this number of "back-up support" seems completely unjustified.
    But I am arm-chair quarterbacking.
    I have a fundraiser in the planning stages... it will NOT be going to the WTS. Ha!

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Eight Marks of a deadly Mind Control Cult applied to Jehovah's Witnesses

# 2 Mystical Manipulation (cloak & dagger s**t)

In religious cults, God is ever-present in the workings of the organization. If a person leaves for any reason, accidents or ill-will that may befall them are always attributed to God's punishment on them. For the faithful, the angels are always said to be working, and stories circulate about how God is truly doing marvelous things among them, because they are "the truth." The organization is therefore given a certain "mystique" that is quite alluring to the new recruit.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    WTS says this is the biggest thing they have had to deal with.

And that is true. Once again, another example of how ethnocentric the WTS is. This is not the biggest thing the world has ever had to deal with. It is the biggest natural disaster the US has had to deal with (I'm told). It is not the biggest natural disaster ever in the world.

Note that their only interest was in helping JWs. All others are part of this "evil system of things," and will be destroyed at Armageddon anyway, so why bother to help them?

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

Day one after the hurricane a few brothers from the HKRC went into New Orleans/Slidell area and began assessing damage to Kingdom Halls. The elders divided parts of southeast Louisiana into zones, my notes are sketchy and memory missing a few points, but in one zone 5 KHs are gone, 2 heavily damaged. Around Lake Pontchartrain 7 KHs are gone, 7 moderate damage, and some with light damage. On day two the brothers did more assessments, but martial law was put in place and they had to leave.

Interesting. Do you mean to tell me that their primary interest was the condition and health of their real estate holdings?

• joelbear
    joelbear

what if every religion was so picky about who they would help

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Interesting. Do you mean to tell me that their primary interest was the condition and health of their real estate holdings?
    That was the first thing I noticed too!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit