Barbara Bush: Hurricane victims better off, were "underpriviledged anyway"

by professor 73 Replies latest social current

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Not to excuse Barbara Bush. Her comments were WAY off-base. However, to explain it: she has NO CLUE what the average Joe/Joan goes through to make a living, feed their family, provide a safe shelter and clothes. Mrs. Bush has been in the lap of luxury since the day she was born, married a guy from a fairly wealthy family, and had kids that she imparted that same lifestyle too. You can't EXPECT her to have empathy with something she does not understand. People like that have no empathy. To be empathetic, you need to be able to feel the same feelings the person does, and she has never had such tragic events happen in her life. Just like us X-Witnesses. I was born and raised a Witness. I couldn't understand Christmas because I never had it, and therefore, never MISSED IT. I was SUPPOSED to feel joy, etc. when it rolled around after I was a Witness, but just couldn't FEEL it, because I didn't know how to. I feel it now, but it has taken me a LONG TIME because I had to relearn things, only with the awareness that there were feelings to be had.

Mrs. Bush has never had to deal with anything like this in her lifetime, therefore she can't be expected to respond in an empathetic manner... maybe a SYMPATHETIC MANNER.. but who knows. It only serves to illustrate the great divide in our country between the haves and the have-nots. No one wants to lose their families, and I'm sure that Mrs. Bush would hate to lose HERS, too, no matter how much we choose to portray her in a bad light. She is a person that has her own mind, and she has the right to express it, no matter how wrong we deem her to be. We voted her husband in as President of the United States, so ultimately, how can we find fault with our own choices? We voted that state governments must have the ultimate control over the National Guard in their own states, and that the Federal government cannot act unless the Governor of the individual state asks for help. President Bush was just doing his job. Governor Babineaux-Blanco asked for 24 hours to figure out if she would accept the President's offer of Federal help. That delayed everything. Everyone was just confused about what they should do. They wanted to obey the chain of command, and obey the constitution, and it was a big mess because FEMA had just been put under the care ofthe Homeland Security last year and no one was quite sure where to go, who to listen to, what to do...

Luckily, we have a few homeland heroes. Three Star General Honore moved in quick and began to mobilize. Thank heaven for someone with a sense of leadership and honor. His name fits him well.

CG

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

:Governor Babineaux-Blanco asked for 24 hours to figure out if she would accept the President's offer of Federal help. That delayed everything.

Please stop repeating this. It has no basis in truth.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I think you guys are looking too much into her comment...just let it be, people...there is enough serious stuff to get over.

She put her foot in her mouth...end of story. Let's remember something too: Her husband was instrumental in helping raise private aid for the south asian victims, and is doing the same thing again with Clint for the Katrina victims.

How about taking a step back and think about every time you have said something stupid, and been misunderstood.

Get over it...god MOVE ON.

• nilfun
    nilfun

IronGland:

Oh dear -- shades of Nero...

• upside/down
    upside/down

I didn't know Barbara knew how to play the fiddle...

u/d

• nilfun
    nilfun

IronGland:

If you had used the "cake cutting" pic instead -- then it I guess it would have been shades of Marie Antoinette...

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

It does have a basis in truth, Sxxie. Mayor Nagin at one time said that he was in the Marine One with president Bush, and Governor Babineaux-Blanco. He said both of them went off into a room and were talking, and then Bush offered his services and she said that she'd give it 24 hours and she'd make a decision.

It's the responsibility of the New Orleans local government to have had a evacuation plan. The MAYOR should have had an evactuation plan....but he didn't .. he Just wants to blame the Feds...

Athene

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

I didn't read the whole thread so maybe my comments 'aren't appropriate at this juncture.' (hehe) My mom was saying today that when Hugo hit and they had to rebuild their economy boomed, and people are forecasting that when New Orleans is rebuild, think of all the supplies, plumbing, furniture, etc etc that will go into it. Some people are gonna make some money and who knows, maybe in 4-5 years some of those "underpriviledged" might have their dream house.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

:He said both of them went off into a room and were talking, and then Bush offered his services and she said that she'd give it 24 hours and she'd make a decision.

A decision to do what exactly, CG? What "services" did he offer? A backrub?

W/O specifics, this is just innuendo. What we know, is that the Governor requested, and Bush granted, federal emergency help on August 27. And in fact, in that document, on the WhiteHouse website, he assumed responsibility for the coordination of "all disaster relief efforts" in the State of Louisiana.

• ballistic
    ballistic

It kind of epitomises ignorance, and I hate that kind of ignorance especially when it comes in a situation that deserves better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit