Barbara Bush: Hurricane victims better off, were "underpriviledged anyway"

by professor 73 Replies latest social current

• talesin
    talesin

concerned

I am not the former First Lady of the USA and mother of the President speaking on International TV. Your comparison is way out there.

Yes, and I`ve known some child molesters who appear to be `nice people`,,, but then, I can`t read their minds, can I? (ie, just because she was nice to you, doesn`t mean she is a nice person, you see what I mean?)

Ms. Bush has shown us exactly how she sees the world --- from an elitist standpoint, just like most of the people in control of our countries.

t

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

HOLY CRAP, Barb!

While long term benefits to the financial situation of some of the evacuees may indeed be realized eventually, I still can't concede that this is 'working out well' for the majority of them.

I once had the unexpected pleasure of staying in a ridiculously over priced hotel where a very proper looking gentlemen in a suit would come into the room and ask how he could help me whenever I pushed a button. I still couldn't wait to get home.

• talesin
    talesin

I`m watching Oprah.

All these movie actors that people scorn when they talk about politics, and make fun of them saying `they never help anyone` and `who do they think they are, giving their opinions like they know something`.

WELL, there they are, using their own money, bringing in food and supplies, walking among the people, giving them comfort and a little joy. These are people I respect, much more than many politicians. They are the ones who speak out against injustice, and are THERE on the front lines, in this time of despair.

Oprah doesn`t NEED to go to NO. Neither does John Travolta or any other of her friends. She could just have the show broadcast from her comfy studio, and send others to do the `dirty work`. Oprah rocks! OPRAH FOR PRESIDENT ,,, in my dreams.

One older womyn just said ``It makes you feel like you`re a person again, instead of just a displaced person``.

I will also say that many of them travel to the war zone, to entertain the troops, putting themselves at great personal risk. These are people who DON`T need the publicity, but do it because they are patriotic Americans.

tal

• stillconcerned
    stillconcerned

Conversely, because she said a stupid thing doesn't make her an un-nice person.

My point; folks complain about what others aren't doing, or did or didn't say, whether pres., first lady, WHATEVER, but don't do much else...

• Preston
    Preston

I don't think she meant it like that... honestly. I'm not too crazy about their politics, but its like when someone in congress got slammed for saying that it's questionable to rebuild New Orleans or not, my perception was he was questioning the way it looked previously without taking into consideration the dangers associated with the city's structure which was a major factor in all the damage. I've heard just as much finger-pointing as I've heard analysis about the destruction itself. Over time people will really see where there was compassion, and where there wasn't. Winston Chruchill once said that "The responsibility of government for the public safety is absolute and requires no mandate. It is in fact, the prime object for which governments come into existence." If this is true, then I don't think there will be any shortage of ire for the people in charge anytime soon...

- Preston

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I stand firmly by my previously made post in this thread because it's nothing but the pure truth.

There were lots of people that were affected by the hurricane Charlie in my area, my family and I being some of them.

When it was all said and done and my family and I received all the insurance, local, and federal help available, we were lleft able to remodel our homes much better than if the disaster hadn't happened to us at all. I know plenty of people that ended up with much better homes and in better economical standing than prior to Charlie. So there!

DY

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

I suppose as Americans, we have to understand where "Barbara" is coming from....for so many years she's had a hand up her ass, telling her what to say......maybe she should go back to the hand......

• hillbilly
    hillbilly
    If anyone caught Oprah yesterday (Tuesday), it was heart wrenching. ; Thousands of people were herded into a dark stadium where gangs were shooting, raping, and killing. ; Dead bodies were left in the building for days. ; Toilets didn't work, so human excrement was everywhere. ; The dying were put into the same area as the already dead, making their passing that much more hideous. Although it was likely only 1% of the population commiting the acts of lawlesness, it affected everyone there. ; And this went on for 6 DAYS!!!

I don't want to hear, read, or listen to any bullshi* about these people being better off than they were before. ; That is ignorance at it's worst.

Happyout (pissed at the stupidity and cold heartedness of some people)

That's a fact...just remember, a Black Mayor, elected by the fine majority of the city of New Orleans, signed off on a pre- storm plan to herd his "brothers" into the Superdome of Death. It wasnt Mrs Bush (no matter how poor a choice her comments are).

Still waiting to see a black alderman or other "leader" take point on a sandbag or rescue crew in the city. There may be someone like this "on point" but the media hasnt found him (or her) yet.

Cold as it sounds...this is a city, one of the most violent in the US on a normal day....dont you figure "black on black" crime would follow the masses into the Superdome of Death and the Civic Center?

~Hill

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Barbara Bush: Hurricane victims better off, were "underpriviledged anyway"

I agree! Hell, why don't we just bury them all in a big hole while we're at it. That would be a great way to improve the poverty statistics!

Social Darwinism and what I call the backdoor holocaust. Reminds me of Marie Antonette, "Let them eat cake." She was about as clueless to the plight of the poor as Barb.

Did any of you see the press conference with the NOLA chief of police, the fema guy and the NOLA fire chief? They stressed that the victims are not refugees: they are displaced citzens of New Orleans and citzens of the USA. Later, in Houston, they stressed that many of the people waiting in line for assistance from FEMA were working class people who had jobs, homes and were self sufficient, not impoverished people.

I have seen over and over again that the mayor, police chief and many others are rather tired of the way the media is making the people left behind appear, focusing on the criminal element and poverty and devaluing the innocent sufferers and the proud city of New Orleans in the process.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Personal responsibility my friends. Personal responsibility.

Let us all learned to have a plan for when the time comes for each one of us. We need to rely on ourselves and stop thinking that somebody else will save us.

Here in the great USA, yes, somebody will in time come to anyone's aid, but the people without a plan and that don't take personal responsibility for their destiny shall suffer while that much needed aid arrives.

DY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit