Barbara Bush: Hurricane victims better off, were "underpriviledged anyway"

by professor 73 Replies latest social current

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Talesin has it right.

Ms. Bush has shown us exactly how she sees the world --- from an elitist standpoint, just like most of the people in control of our countries.

Not to hijack this thread, but didn't Theresa Heinz Kerry make a similar elitist comment about one of the disasters last year?

These ultra rich elitists who don't even know how many monthly bills they have.......do not understand and will never understand the plight of the poor. Nor do they really care! (my opinion)

HappyDad

• heathen
    heathen

Jezzus why doesn't she just say good riddance to that old eye sore New Orleans ? I still blame the bush administration for what happened . IMO it's the responsibility of the Dept of the interior to secure cities from natural and man made disasters . It has been proven that experts knew this disaster was imminent , yet nothing was done to reinforce the levies.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

:that's a fact...just remember, a Black Mayor, elected by the fine majority of the city of New Orleans, signed off on a pre- storm plan to herd his "brothers" into the Superdome of Death. It wasnt Mrs Bush (no matter how poor a choice her comments are).

Let's all be crystal clear on something shall we? The Superdome was a damn good place to ride out a storm, and it's elevation also makes it a safe place in the event of a levee break.

The refuge becomes a dangerous hellhole, when people are left there w/o food, water, or leadership. If the "black mayor" (why that's relevant I don't know) had those things to provide, and didn't provide them, then he screwed up and should be held accountable. However, I know w/o question where those things COULD have come from, even if the "black mayor" had died in his sleep two days before the storm got there.

If there was something inherently wrong in using the Superdome, then the Astrodome and Reunion Arena would not be suitable places for the people leaving the Superdome to stage, now would they?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

:but didn't Theresa Heinz Kerry make a similar elitist comment about one of the disasters last year?

Not that I'm aware of. Why not try and find out the truth BEFORE you make comments?

• heathen
    heathen

At least she didn't say " God has smitten the Godless Sodomites". Like alot of those freaky religionists are saying . Good God , People have you ever heard of tact ?

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

SixofNine...........

I'm so happy to meet a legend in his own mind such as you. I should have checked with you first before entertaining the notion of making a post. Since you are the ALL knowledgeable sage of this forum.......please forgive me for not looking for facts first.

Before you insult anyone on this board again......GET YOUR OWN FACTS STRAIGHT FIRST. Don't try insulting me again. And if you want to send me a nasty PM, do so! I would love to repost your words for all to see.

Here is the item from my post. Are you happy now? Or must all of us check with you first before posting? Jeesh dude.......with all of your knowledge, one would think you would have remembered this. If you want to know which news media reported this, check out a few for yourself.

"Clothing is wonderful, but let them go naked for a while, at least the kids"

Let them go naked? This was Teresa Heinz Kerry's advice at a hurricane relief center for the Caribbean. I suppose someone like the ketchup prima-dona assumes kids in the Caribbean run around naked anyway. Savages! Do shoes fall into the realm of clothing in her world? While I'm no expert, being shoe-less amidst hurricane debris doesn't seem safe. The thought of a future first lady, who could double as an activities director at a children's nudist camp makes me shudder.

HappyDad

• flower
    flower
    There were lots of people that were affected by the hurricane Charlie in my area, my family and I being some of them.

When it was all said and done and my family and I received all the insurance, local, and federal help available, we were lleft able to remodel our homes much better than if the disaster hadn't happened to us at all. I know plenty of people that ended up with much better homes and in better economical standing than prior to Charlie.

How many of your relatives DIED in Hurricane Charlie? How many of your children died? Did your parents die? Your siblings? Cousins? Best friend since kindergarten?

If you had lost several members of your family would you still be saying 9 days after it happened that you were better off having had the hurricane since at least you got to a new place to live and some special financial help?

Would you appreciate someone who claims to have come to comfort you and help you basically saying 'well I know your relatives are floating around in the mud and that you cant find your infant daughter or your mother but..well you were underprivleged anyway so its not so bad since you get to stay in the astrodome on a cot and move to texas..'

For the former first lady to make a comment like that at this point and time while those peoples relatives have yet to be pulled from the water is despicable. She should be offering them therapy to get over the horror that they have experienced in losing their family members so tragically not telling them to focus on the new apartment in Texas or the free food they will get for the next few months.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

(((((flower))))))

For the former first lady to make a comment like that at this point and time while those peoples relatives have yet to be pulled from the water is despicable. She should be offering them therapy to get over the horror that they have experienced in losing their family members so tragically not telling them to focus on the new apartment in Texas or the free food they will get for the next few months.

I agree. Couple points though...

I'm not excusing that Barbara Bush...but sometimes we ALL say things that are just inappropriate. She is well-known and her comments just happened to be captured on air. I thank God I don't have a camera on me as much as some political and entertainment celebrities - I stick my foot in my mouth all the time. Sometimes when you don't know what to say, you just say the wrong things, even when your intention is to comfort.

It's been a long time since Barbara or anyone in the Bush family has been in want for anything. They DON'T understand what these people have gone through - they didn't go through it. Thus stupid comments are made that are insensitive. Just like people who are not JWs, don't understand why we don't just walk from the religion. They haven't been there. They don't mean to be @$$holes, but they just don't get it.

I don't think Barbara's comments were appropriate, but at the same time, how CAN we expect her to "get it"?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

:how CAN we expect her to "get it"?

By using the intellectual tool of "empathy", just like all of us have to in order to understand situations we can't personally "feel" or live.

• flower
    flower

I'm sorry but I think the comparison you are trying to draw are as different as night and day. There is no comparing the every day faux pas and that we all make in our every day lives and speech to a nationally broadcast radio interview with the former first lady of the country and mother of the current president.

However, lets say you can compare the two and as you say Barbara Bush just has no clue about what life is like without the privilege of money and power and having your every want fullfilled thus she is clueless that her comment might be hurtful to anyone who doesnt have a life of privilege. Maybe she is clueless that its just unethical to imply that the horrid conditions, having to spend night after night sleeping on a cot in a stadium filled with thousands of other people, is not so bad to people who are underprivileged. Lets say she doesnt know any better because all she has ever known is privilege...its not her fault.

One question.. If one of those people who have always been underprivileged and were born into a poor ghetto life and know no other way but violence and crime commits an act of violence, is that behavior excused or do they still have to answer for it just like anyone else? Its not their fault after all.

They may have been born into that lifestyle but we STILL expect them to know better than to act in a violent criminal way. Its called personal responsibility as someone mentioned. Does Barbara not have the same responsibility to KNOW better? She has MORE responsibility!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit