Barbara Bush: Hurricane victims better off, were "underpriviledged anyway"

by professor 73 Replies latest social current

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

eyebrow,

It was poorly worded, but I see it as a woman that is trying to see the good that might come of this. And you know what? I bet for some of these poor people, they may actually have a better life post flood than pre flood. After they are able to leave the shelters and re-establish thier lives.

I do think you're right that Mrs. Bush was trying to see the positive. But her comment reflects that she's not looking at the whole picture. I think flower's point was that no matter what their physical circumstances, MOST of the evacuees (whether at the Astrodome or any other shelter) will NEVER be better off emotionally. They may have a new lease on life financially, but they will never get their moms/dads/children/siblings/other family back. They're gone. If I had a choice to live in the slums with my husband and family, or in the 'burbs with them being dead...I'll pick the slums anyday. Material posessions will never make up for their loss of family and friends. They'll grieve that for the rest of their lives.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes
    "Clothing is wonderful, but let them go naked for a while, at least the kids," said Heinz Kerry, the wife of Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry. "Water is necessary, and then generators, and then food, and then clothes."

WTF? I admit I havent read every post on this thread.........and I have a migraine, but I think Mrs. Kerry needs a slap for saying that. I understand she thinks that water, food and generators are first,,,,,,,but damn , does she really mean they should be naked? Do the children of the Caribiean usually run around naked to begin with, is it their culture? I really don't know, and from what I have seen on TV, I don't think they do.

Again, what do you think she meant by that........it sure sounds inhumane to me. Maybe she didnt mean it that way , just trying to get her point across, I don't get it thou.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

:In my experience, MANY talk, few act.

Ain't that the truth. We need look no further than the example of Barbara Bush's son on Friday Aug 26 thru Thursday Sept 1 to confirm that truism.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Lyin', Six made it very clear that TH Kerry was concerned because people were sending mostly clothing to help the hurricane victims. She wanted people to realize that without water, those children would die awaiting clothing.

Thank you, Six for reading the article and setting the matter straight on Heinz-Kerry.

" God has smitten the Godless Sodomites". Like alot of those freaky religionists are saying . Good God , People have you ever heard of tact ?
    You know what the laughable thing about this is? The French Quarter, where most of the wild clubs are, is not under water. It still stands with some damage, but still standing. Most of those freaky religionists are probably just as human as anyone in New Orleans. Think Jimmy Swaggart and Jim, Tammy Faye's husbands.

Southern Louisiana is filled with good Catholics. But then most fundies don't consider Catholics as saved anyway.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

The latest: Wolf Blitzer, known for reporting through more than one war, etc., etc., made the brilliant statement that the refugees were "so very poor, so very black."

Whoops. I guess foot-in-mouth disease is going around.

"I'm Dan Rather -- and you're not." (Chevy Chase from "Saturday Night Live," in case any of you think I've finally lost my marbles.)

Nina

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    The latest: Wolf Blitzer, known for reporting through more than one war, etc., etc., made the brilliant statement that the refugees were "so very poor, so very black."

And now the leaders of NOLA would like it known that the victims are not refugees. They are displaced citizens of NOLA and of the USA. I am glad that the leaders are fighting to get their dignity back. They need to keep resounding this message so that people stop calling them refugees.

Barbara's comments were insensitive and inappropriate, but Barbara is not the holder of any political office. It's clear that many things went wrong, but the humane course of action right now is to expend political energy on helping the victims of Katrina, not assigning blame. Government failed at all levels, and this will be investigated, but any such investigation ought to take place after the mess and victims have been taken care of. Assigning blame will not save lives or help those who have lost everything.

• doodle-v
    doodle-v

What's funny is that Barbara doesnt have any clue whatsoever that she said anything wrong. She's just blabbing away and she says it so kindly. Reminds me of what Bill Maher said the other day.

"[Secretary of Homeland Security Michael Chertoff] said, 'The critical thing was to get people out there before this disaster. Some people chose not to obey that order. That was a mistake on their part.' And this is what I call 'unintentional racism.' Because this guy - that's the whole thing with the Bush people. They just can't imagine, 'Why don't you just pack up your Range Rover, grab a case of Poland Spring water out of the garage, and go to your summer home? What is the problem?!' They just don't get it." – Bill Maher

-Doodle-V

• Country Girl
    Country Girl
    Did any of you see the press conference with the NOLA chief of police, the fema guy and the NOLA fire chief? They stressed that the victims are not refugees: they are displaced citzens of New Orleans and citzens of the USA. Later, in Houston, they stressed that many of the people waiting in line for assistance from FEMA were working class people who had jobs, homes and were self sufficient, not impoverished people.

Actually, they *are* refugees. Technically, homeless persons seeking refuge for food, shelter, water and food are refugees. It's not the wrong use of the word, it's the connotations that it elicits.

CG

• IronGland

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit