Has there been any "New Light" on the Blood Issue?

by Mastodon 168 Replies latest watchtower medical

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Well, rootcause, you are welcome to your beliefs. I do not agree, I see the proscriptions against blood to specifically apply to the ingestion of blood, that is, the oral consumption of blood. Hopefully that does not mark me as unworthy in your eyes.

Welcome! We accept all kinds of people.

As a caution, you might want to be circumspect (cautious, respectful) in your preaching efforts to avoid making others feel uneasy with you. Otherwise, ex-Witnesses who have been told how to feel about things for a long time may take their frustrations out on you. It may not be what you deserve, but unless you respect the fact that others do not share your views, you will quickly run into angry people.

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

rootcause,

First, may I suggest to you not to copy and paste so much from Watchtower material, because it makes it look like you can't think for yourself, and instead of expressing your own opinions or thoughts, you're relying on someone else's. And if you have to quote from a source to make your point, at least as a footnote provide the publication and page numbers so it's clear to everyone you are in agreement with (or disagree with) the material you are copying and pasting and it's clear to everyone where you're getting your information from.

www.ajwrb.org is really the best site to research this topic (although I'm in disagreement with its assertion that thousands of JWs have died from lack of blood-related treatment), so I'm not going to repeat much that can simply be found there. I am just going to offer a few thoughts I have right now as I'm watching Sportscenter on ESPN.

Medically speaking, according to the American Red Cross, the chances of contracting a disease from a blood transfusion is very low. A brief review of the screening processes of donated blood is found here: http://www.redcross.org/services/biomed/0,1082,0_320_,00.html . Other countries may not have as advanced techniques. But still, if the doctor's opinion was that there was a 10% chance you were going to bleed to death (from hemorraghing after a severe trauma, say massive injuries from an automobile accident or a woman during childbirth), and a .3% chance of contracting Hepatitis C from a transfusion, which odds would a reasonable person say are the better choice?

Biblically speaking, I already made my point in my other post. The decree made in Acts chapter 15 was circulated to non-Jewish Christians to accomplish two goals: One, to direct them that it was not necessary for them to follow the Jewish ritual of circumcision in order to be Christian, and two, to ask them (non-Jews) to follow four specific guidelines of the Mosaic Law in order to 'keep the peace' with their Jewish brothers in the faith. These four "necessary things" are brief descriptions of the wider and more detailed Levitical code found in Leviticus chapters 17 and 18 that dealt with "alien residents", again, non-Jews, and what they were expected to also follow in order to be found acceptible in the Jewish community. There is nothing about Acts 15 that indicates the four "necessary things" were universal, permanent Christian laws. The decree was issued to soothe tensions existing at that time. This interpretation is what nearly every commentary on Acts 15 holds, and is indeed how Charles Russell also understood it. This explains why murder, lying, stealing, and other gross sins are not mentioned.

Watchtowerly speaking (), and more to the topic of the thread, the Watchtower organization has changed its stance on whether the congregation is responsible for removing or expelling a person who submits to a blood transfusion knowingly and willingly. This makes it obvious that they do not have the mind of God on the matter. I refer you to this Watchtower article:

The Watchtower of January 15, 1961, on pages 63 and 64 (of the bound volume), in the section labeled "Questions From Readers", states:

In view of the seriousness of taking blood into the human system by a transfusion, would violation of the Holy Scriptures in this regard subject the dedicated, baptized receiver of blood transfusion to being disfellowshiped from the Christian congregation? The inspired Holy Scriptures answer yes. . . If, however, [the recipient of blood] refuses to acknowledge his nonconformity to the required Christian standard and makes the matter an issue in the Christian congregation and endeavors to influence others therein to his support; or, if in the future he persists in accepting blood transfusions or in donating blood toward the carrying out of this medical practice upon others, he shows that he has really not repented, but is deliberately opposed to God’s requirements. As a rebellious opposer and unfaithful example to fellow members of the Christian congregation he must be cut off therefrom by disfellowshiping. Thereby the Christian congregation vindicates itself from any charge of connivance at the infraction of God’s law by a member of the congregation through blood transfusion, and it upholds the proper Christian standard before all the members of the Christian congregation.

The reason I highlighted the words in red is because today, the policy is not to disfellowship such a person, but to announce to the congregation that the person, by his taking blood, has disassociated himself or herself and by such action is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Therefore, the argument made in 1961 that it was the congregation's responsibility before God and its members to act judicially has been reversed. Now, either "the inspired Holy Scriptures" either answer "yes" or they do not. Which is it?

There are many other issues that can be taken up with the Watchtower organization's positions over the years regarding blood, such as allowing some components of human, stored blood to be transfused without a disassociation being announced, while transfusion of other components of human stored blood would result in such a disassociation, or the Watchtower's original argument that transfusing blood is biologically equal to eating it, but I'll leave those aside for now. You don't have to give me an answer, rootcause. Answer for yourself: In view of the seriousness of taking blood into the human system by a transfusion, would violation of the Holy Scriptures in this regard subject the dedicated, baptized receiver of blood transfusion to being disfellowshiped from the Christian congregation?

• rootcause
    rootcause

hello jgnat,

1st sorry you misinterpreted what I want to explain.....hope for your further understanding....

remember, what happened to the israelites during the time of Moses, the people In time of Daniel and to Adam and Eve? In our time, check the stats of diseases we know which is the number one today? check the net....then ask 5-whys?

Also, you forgot the supporting verse for John 6:53 which are :

(Matthew 26:28) for this means my ‘blood of the covenant,’ which is to be poured out in behalf of many for forgiveness of sins.

(1 Corinthians 11:25) He did likewise respecting the cup also, after he had the evening meal, saying: "This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood. Keep doing this, as often as YOU drink it, in remembrance of me."

also, after asking yourself why do you exist? ask why on your answer then ask another why on the next answer until you reached the 5th whys? also, what do you think about Psalm 37:29?

(Psalm 37:29) 29

The righteous themselves will possess the earth, And they will reside forever upon it.

hope, I can get you answers next week...

Have a great weekends and thanks,

• rootcause
    rootcause

hello jgnat,

I am not saying that you need to be circumcised as this was again a mosaic law which were no longer implemented....for cancer please check back my previous email, Is cancer the disease or a symptom of underlying disease?

It was mentioned on the webpage you provided that "There is considerable hemorrhage in 15% of circumcisions, and in about 2% of newborns, this can be quite serious." would this mean they doing it not on the 8th day? your post is dated 1979 my prevoius if I were not mistaken is 1986 medical findings...please check...

Haven't you noticed they don't have separation? science and religion? you think why? why? why?

Thanks,

• jgnat
    jgnat

Rootcause, you have not separated faith from fact. You haven't thought very deeply on why you believe what you do. I won't answer to random "science" articles you have found, because you have accepted them on faith without considering other information. Do you sincerely believe that those infants died because they were not circumcised on the eighth day? Have you heard of sepsis? How about slip-of-the-knife?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/99013/1.ashx

• rootcause
    rootcause

hello jgnat,

okay lets talked about science and measurable facts,,,since you have mentioned e=mc^2. Can you explain why atoms behaves as they were and you can arranged them in an atomic table?

thanks,

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

rootcause, I will take your silence and refusal to answer my question directed towards you to mean you don't know and therefore I agree with jgnat: you don't know why you believe what you do. Sad.

• rootcause
    rootcause

hello cygnus,

you will get your answer . . . . . . . . .But let's not talk faith this time as what jgnat, I understand suggests. . . . . let's now wait for jgnat answer to my latest question. . . .

by the way how's everybody? its been a great weekend and its nice to hear again from you guys. . . . .thanks,

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Okie dokie, rooter, have it your way. :)

• jgnat
    jgnat

rootcause, your questions make less and less sense. We already established that your stand on blood has to do with your faith, not science. Now you want to argue science with me?

We'll talk about your faith, but don't try and talk science with me. You don't know the first thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit