Would you buy a new car on a 60 month loan?

by Elsewhere 134 Replies latest jw friends

• I quit!
    I quit!

The reason the F150 did so bad is because trucks and SUV's have stafty standards that are far less than passenger cars.

I guess I forgot about this info when I post about small cars and SUVs. I was thinking about getting a new F150 a few years ago but didn't. On of the reason I didn't was I heard about the poor performance they have in accidents. My Subaru Outback does much better in accidents than most of the SUVs and it is pretty small also.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Depending on the car.

I bought a nice import on a 60-month loan and it's all paid for already and still looking and running like new. It's so good that I'm planning to drive it for another good 8 years or so. I mean this car is absolutely fabulous!

During the 60 months I was paying for it, all I did was schedule the regular oil change and change tires/balance/align them once; all that is normal wear and tear in any car.

I have friends that have taken 60-month loans in American made cars/trucks and have had to trade them in by the 4th year. American made cars are horrible!

Depending on what you're willing to spend, stick with Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Acura, Lexus, Infinity, and higher. That's my take on it.

DY

• gringojj
    gringojj
    What I am not able to do - when I go car shopping, is to see a price tag on the vehicle.

Some car dealers do not put prices on used cars and the reason is simple. A car dealer starts negotiation at market value, and that changes sometimes on a daily basis. For example, I would sell a Ford Expedition cheaper today than last fall. It will be worth more towards this winter. Many people go out to car lots after hours and if they see a price on a car and it hasnt been updated then they will never come back the next day if they think its too high, and it may be too high, but the market value is less. With the internet these days, everyone should be prepared when they go out shopping, if they know what they want.

New cars all have prices on them. The way it works is very simple, and its the same as all other business. If you buy a car for 15000 bucks, the dealer makes about 1000. I think thats very fair. If you are spending more money, and want more options, the dealer should make more money. The higher the cost, the more the mark-up. Again any business is like that. Do you think people try and bargain down the price on a 100,000 BMW? They know the dealer is making a good chunk on them, but its ok. I have sold 50,000 dollar vehicles, and made the same amount of money as selling a 13000 car. That isnt right. We are in SALES, and if I sell you all the benefits and features of the higher priced car, I should get paid for that. That is my job. I am not asking for any one to feel sorry for me, I just wanted to give you another perspective.

One thing that gets me, I am a very honest salesman. Many many times I have had customers lie to me. In the end I always tell them "Oh thats good. So I see you were lying to me, its better off that you bought somewhere else because I dont lie and I dont want to do business with liers. Have fun driving to such and such a town to have your service done. Good bye." I love to say that but I hate when I realize they wasted all my time.

• Legolas
    Legolas
    Hosted by Tinypic.com

I am paying on this for 5 years!

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie
    American made cars are horrible!

It's often a good idea to stay away from rash generalizations based on limited experience. Some "american made" cars are 'horrible'. Many aren't.

Depending on what you're willing to spend, stick with Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Acura, Lexus, Infinity, and higher. That's my take on it.
    That Honda, Nissan or Toyota you buy is very likely to have been fabricated from parts made in, and assembled right here, in the U.S. Many times the only thing 'foreign' about it is the location in which the profits are counted and spent.
  • Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    American made cars are horrible!

I've never actually been "burned" by a domestic car, but I almost was... My very first Ford was a 1991 Ford Temp. After owning it for several years I traded it in for a Nissan Sentra. A week later I returned to the dealer to finish some paperwork and he asked me if I had told him about everything that was wrong with it. I said yes. He then told me that they had already sold it to a mother who bought it for her daughter and while she was driving it home from the dealer the dashboard started to smoke. She pulled over on the side of the road and watched in horror as the car burned to a cinder in front of her.

I got lucky with that one!

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

My relatives are forever faithful to American made cars/van/trucks. They've all been horrible!

Stay away, if possible, from American brands.

DY

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

NEW YORK (CNN) - In one of the largest recalls in automaker history, Ford Motor Co. said Wednesday it is recalling 3.8 million pickup trucks and SUVs for a cruise control switch that has caused engine fires, even with the vehicle parked and the engine off.

The recall includes 1994-2002 model-years of F-150 pickup truck, Ford Expedition, Lincoln Navigator and Ford Broncos.

Ford had already recalled more than 1 million year 2000 vehicles in two separate recalls to replace the cruise control switch.

Need I say more.

DY

• Sirona
    Sirona

Elsewhere,

No I wouldn't. If I couldnt afford it in 3 years, I wouldn't bother. Our car is 1.5 years old and it seems like an eternity before we pay it off (3 years).

There are good cars which are not too expensive and you could finance over 3 years instead.

Sirona

• love11
    love11

I did it because that was the only way I could afford a car.

It's still under warranty and this Jan it will be paid in full. It was the best car we've ever had. All of the used vehicles we would get would always break down and we couldn't really afford all the repairs. I would do it again. As long as you have some job security or ability to quickly get another job in case something happened. Best of luck!

P.S. I recommend the hybrid vehicles for the future that will be my next car.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit