Would you buy a new car on a 60 month loan?

by Elsewhere 134 Replies latest jw friends

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I have learned the hard way that the best deal isn't always the best deal.

So I now act like the federal and state governments, I get three bids and look for the best deal.

My hubby insisted I go to Wal-Mart to get the oil changed because it's so cheap. I've had nothing but trouble with my oil since then. From now on, I am going to the more expensive place and let me vacuum my car out...

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    I loooove the mini coopers! I would get blue with a white stripe.

I like the blue too, but for a few years now I've been jonesing for a bright RED sport car!

Here is a pic that the website generated for me.....

(If you move down here and live in sin with me I might consider getting the blue )

• damselfly
    damselfly
    (If you move down here and live in sin with me I might consider getting the blue )

I have sinned for less

I love the red one too! Will you get the checks? I saw a really nice cream and black one today too.

Dams

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    I have sinned for less

Hot damn!

I love the red one too! Will you get the checks? I saw a really nice cream and black one today too.

Yup! The website generated the image according to all of my options... what you see is what I'll get.

• damselfly
    damselfly

It's gorgeous!

Now lets see.....you live somewhere in Texas. As soon as I track you down by prepared to hand me a set of keys.

Dams

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

lol... I'm sure we'll have another Dallas apostafest before the end of the year... you can find me then!

• damselfly
    damselfly

lol!

Dams

• Carmel
    Carmel

Having not purchased a vehichle on time for the past thirtyfive years, I'm not about to consider doing so now. Drooling at a shiny cycle for about three grand. Only problem is the winter wet weather is crappy for gettin around on a hog!

We never by new, except for when we were in Israel and had no other option. Let someone else loose their butts on first two years of depreciation.

carmel

• G Money
    G Money

I did a 36 month loan but it was 0 down, 0% interest and for my SUV, only 500,000 pesos or 45,000USd. I love it and 1 more year and its paid off although the payments are crazy like 12,000 )over $1,000USD per month but in Mexico trucks are nice cuz the speed bumps don't mess you up!!!!

• I quit!
    I quit!

First stop is your local dealer. You are NOT going to buy a car from them, but that's your secret. You are going to ask to look at the specific model(s) you've researched. You will drive the one that interests you. You will get out of the car after the test drive, look at your watch, and say you're late for work. The salesman will try to keep you there, but ask for his card and tell him you'll come back later. He will want your name and phone number. You can give it to him if you want, or make one up. You will never see him again.

I'm in sales and don't consider this approach very ethical. It is one thing ask questions of a saleperson and then decide not to buy from them but to go in with the intention of deceiving them by pretending you are interested when you have no intention of buying from them isn't fair. By wasting their time you may be taking them away from someone who is really interested purchasing thus helping pay the salepersons bills. If you want to use their services and knowlege you should at least be considering buying the car from them. It isn't fair to trick anyone into working for nothing. I know you wouldn't like this happening to you. In sales maybe only one in 20 or 50 or whatever the number is purchases from you. Most sales people understand people have different reasons for not purchasing from them but feel entitle to a least having a fair chance at getting the sale.

And about the 60 month loan. I've bought cars that way and it has worked out for me however I think in most cases you are much better off paying cash for used cars or at least buying used cars because as mentioned you are behind the minute you drive it off the lot with a new car. The only reason I buy new cars is that I have such terrible luck with used ones. The last one I bought everything fell apart on it within the first few years I put out $6000.00 in repairs. Most people I know have good luck buying used cars but not me. Every book I have ever read on personal finance says you will never get rich if you keep buying new cars I think most people are better of buy used ones.

Leasing can be tricky. If you are planning on leasing I would do a little research about it online. There are several good books can get at the bookstore that tell you what to look out for in a lease. For instance cars that depreciate the least are usually the best to lease. This is because the part you are paying for should be the difference between the purchase price and what the cars value is at the end of the lease. However dealers are good at manipulating the figures to their advantage. Also the milage per year that you are allowed to put on the car is usually set so low that you can wind up owing a lot at the end of the lease so you need to take that into consideration. One thing you can do is purchase more miles per year up front when you sign the lease. They are cheaper to buy up front than they are to pay for when you turn the car in. I have leased before and purchased the vehicle at the end of the lease. It worked out for me at that time but I don't have any idea if the leases offered now are good or bad. Remember leases aren't cut and dry. You can negotiate just like you do when you buy a car.

One more thing I just thought about when purchasing a vehicle. Watch out for dealer that want to draw the little box thing and want to discussing how much you can afford each month. You should walk out if they start that crap. The bottom line is always the purchase price of the car and the interest rate. Some dealers will charge you thousands of dollars more than the car is worth but make the payments affordable to you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit