Would you buy a new car on a 60 month loan?

by Elsewhere 134 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    his main advice is never buy the first model year of a new vehicle or body style. there tend to be alot of problems and that's when they work the bugs out.

I absolutly agree!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Yikes! I just called the county tax office and found out that the TTL for the Mini Cooper will be $1,478.49.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

We've had great success with Honda Civics the past six years and are probably going to buy another one, one of these days. The dealership we go to, Lute Riley Honda, is VERY professional and low key -- we go online to shop for a car, get the price, THEN go to the dealership and finish it up. No hard sell, no pressure.

Yep, we're finishing up a 60-month payment for my 2001 Honda -- last payment will be next July. Great car, though, and so is our 2000. Not as EXCITING as the Mini Cooper, but then we're just plain married folk and not the hot stud muffin Elsewhere is.

Nina

• eyegirl
    eyegirl

oh c'mon nina, you and chris are pretty darn cute!!

• damselfly
    damselfly
    hot stud muffin Elsewhere is.

I had no idea!

Dams

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I just got back from the dealer... while there I formally ordered a new 2006 Mini Cooper!

I did a test drive on Tuesday, Thursday and this morning... slept on it a few nights and played around with options over several days. I won't make such a big decision until it "feels" right and I'm completely comfortable with it.

I ended up dropping the Checkmate Package and went with the Premium Package, which is less expensive but comes with more luxury amenities (added onboard computer, auto AC, Cruise control and stereo control on steering wheel and also included the sunroof) and less "sport" features (Standard alloy rims, standard seats, no spoiler and no bonnet stripes or side checkers).

By doing this and playing around with the options I was able to shave a cool $1000.00 off the total price. (The 1,478.49 TTL motivated me to do that) I also dropped the Bonnet (hood) stripes. The factory price is $79.00 but I found out the dealer had to install them and would end up costing a total of $395.00.... oh HELL no! I shopped around on eBay and found self-install stripes for $20.00.

The down side is the car will not be delivered until December... so I have to wait about three months.

Once I get it I should be cruising down the road having a blast!

Oh, did I mention just how much FUN that car is to drive?!?!? All I have to say is: DAMN!

• damselfly
    damselfly
    Once I get it I should be cruising down the road having a blast!

I know your first road trip is to come see all us East Coasters in Nova Scotia, right?

Dams

• freedom96
    freedom96

What is interesting, is nowadays, it is very common for people to make payments over 72 months, sometimes 84 months. How do you think they are affording $45,000 SUVs etc? And, even worse, many are taking seconds out of their house, or refinancing, and then they are paying 30 years for that vehicle.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    I know your first road trip is to come see all us East Coasters in Nova Scotia, right?

*** Looks at Google Maps ***

2,513 mi (about 1 day 22 hours) from here to Dartmouth, NS.

Sorry sweetie... ain't NO way I'm gonna drive that!

If you want a ride in my Mini you're going to have to fly down for one of our legendary Dallas Apostafests. In fact I think you would most enjoy a ride in the back seat.

What is interesting, is nowadays, it is very common for people to make payments over 72 months, sometimes 84 months. ; How do you think they are affording $45,000 SUVs etc? ; ; And, even worse, many are taking seconds out of their house, or refinancing, and then they are paying 30 years for that vehicle.

Got your PM.

OMG! 84 months?!?!?! Taking a second on the house?!?!? Someone needs to sit them down and explain to them that they are buying far more car than they can afford! I would NEVER take money out of a house or retirement savings to buy a car! The longest I would ever finance a new car would be for the duration of the warranty. Ideally I will finance it for a shorter period of time.

I've been learning some very interesting things about the Mini Cooper... the first oil change is not until 10,000 miles and after that only every 15,000 miles! Yes, these numbers are in the owners manual. I have always religiously changed my oil every 3000 miles. Going 15,000 miles will be very unsettling for me. It is explained that this is because only pure synthetic oil is used along with some other technical things I don't understand about motor engineering.

Some other nice things is that for the first 3 years / 36,000 miles Mini will perform all regular service and maintenance for free. This includes oil, transmission fluid, coolant, all other "fluids" you can think of, break pads, rotors.... nearly everything you can imagine. There is also free roadside assistance for the same period. They will even pay for food, lodging and travel if you breakdown more than 100 miles from home.

I am very impressed.

• dh
    dh

i think car finance is a rip off and waste of time, being in the uk i know it is better to pay cash and get a far better car for way less money, we are lucky in the uk that we have some of the cheapest USED cars in the world. i think it's nuts when i compare a dealer offering finance selling a car for £10,000 when if you have cash you can probably find the same model privately for £6000, across the board, if a dealer is asking £6000 you can probably buy it privately for a little under £4000... being tied to a car for 5 years? no way, maybe i am not the rule, but i tend to get bored of cars easily and have never kept any one for more than six months, and also the longer you keep a car, the more you lose, especially if it's financed.
    edited: oops, forgot to add, i would never buy a new car, unless i had enough cash to buy it off the bat and not worry about money at all... i think buying a new car if you are anything other than healthily wealthy is just stupid, you lose something like 20% the minute you drive it away... 17.5% being VAT that you pay when you buy it new... hell no, i think you have better things to spend 17.5% on besides paying it in tax!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit