Would you buy a new car on a 60 month loan?

by Elsewhere 134 Replies latest jw friends

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

If you're still car-shopping - you might consider getting a VW diesel - of some sort.

My 1998 VW Beetle (yes, I got a 5-yr loan, and still have one more year to pay on it), gets 45 - 47 mpg city, and 50+ mpg on the highway.

It is comfortable inside, and I have no complaints about it... well, none that would be worth mentioning.

What I _also_ like is the fact that I can make my own fuel - bio-diesel - if need be.

My boss at work said that they mentioned on the news recently that bio-diesel can be made for about .70 per gallon (US).

That sounds about right... in 2000, I was making it for about .45 to .50 per gallon.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Else,

Jim has an excellent point about a diesel...

Regarding paying a 60 month loan. I think in most cases it is not a good idea UNLESS your interest rate is 0% or close to that. The problem is that cars depreciate so fast you don't want to get stuck with owning a car and owe more on it than it is worth. Of course some brands hold their value better than others.

I love the minis...my husband really wants one, and hopefully in 2006 or 2007 we can afford to get a used one. We have never owned a brand new car...let someone else take the hit on the depreciation the first 2 years I say hahah. But the bottomline is this: if you get satisfaction out of the car, and if you can afford the payments, then I don't see it being wrong in doing it. It is not always just about money.

Now, if you do get a mini, you WILL give us rides in it right? I will pay you $10 bucks to let the hubby test drive it...he won't go into a dealer to test drive one until we are ready to actually buy one hahah.

• damselfly
    damselfly
    I have to admit that I have succumbed to "I wanna slick car" fever and the only way I can get over it is my buying a chick-magnet like the Mini Cooper.

So you're going for the reverse pyschology by driving a "mini"?

Dams

• garybuss
    garybuss

I paid cash for a new pick up in 1987. A Chevy, Still got it. I have had small rust fixed twice and last year I bought a new bumper and had all the lower panels painted. Looks like new. The bumper and paint job cost $2,500.00.
    If I finance $25,000 for 5 years at 6% my payment is $483.32 and I get the privilege of paying $28, 999.21. That's $800 a year. So, for 5 month's payments on a, not as nice, new pickup, I get a new looking pick up, all paid for.
    In 2002, I bought a 1996 Cadillac with 29,000 miles on it for $11,000. Now it has 65,000 miles and still good. I'm gonna keep it till It has at least 250,000 miles on it. I'm good at saving and I don't need or want an ego car. My Northstar will burn the tires going uphill, so I guess I don't need more power.
    My big expense is health insurance, almost $1,200 a month for wife and I, plus about $300 a month for uninsured medicine and co pays. So our life outlook is different.
    I will borrow cash to buy real estate improvements, but never land. I want positive cash flow in the area of 10%. I'd rather drive an old car and make a down payment on a piece of rental property. With a car we have depreciating assets. With a house, we have appreciating assets. Depreciating assets are okay if we are heavy on appreciating assets. I hate to see people with few or no appreciating assets, with no passive income streams, just a job, load up on depreciating assets. Just a job for income is the bottom. Buying depreciating assets is a very good way to stay there. Rationalizing an unwise decision has only given me a rationalized bad decision.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

Ive purchased three cars on 60 month loans. The first car made it throught the duration of the loan. The second, I sold about 3 1/2 years into the loan. Ant the third is my current vehicle which is a 2001 modle year with 7000 miles on it at date of purchase. Yeah, Im paying a little more for it but I like to keep the payments low.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    So you're going for the reverse pyschology by driving a "mini"?

What can I say... I have no need to "over compensate".

• damselfly
    damselfly
    What can I say... I have no need to "over compensate".

Oh my!

Dams

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I just got back from the dealer....

AND I WANT ONE!!!!!!!

Damn that is a fine vehicle! It is small, but it has all of the luxury amenities you normal find in a $30,000 or $40,000 car. The "Continuously Variable Transmission" was amazing and took a little while to get used to. It does not have "gears" you I'm used to, instead it has a belt that gradually gets larger and larger around as you accelerate. The odd feeling but amazing side effect is that there are no shift points... you just keep accelerating faster and faster.

It took all I had to calmly walk out without signing on the dotted line.

There is currently a waiting list out to December and the first 2006's will not show up in the show room until October. This timing is PERFECT for what I need. If it were available on the lot I could In theory easily afford to buy it right now... but the few extra months will simply allow me to save even more money for the down payment. If you recall from my earlier posts, I had already planned on buying around December anyway. This is perfect!

• talesin
    talesin

Else,

If you are going to keep it and run it into the ground, I would say a 5-year pmt plan is okay. Personally, I would rather shop around and buy an 'almost-new' car from a private individual who is selling in desperation (moving, lost job, etc.), because that is smart money management.

But there is NOTHING like owning a new car (been there, did that, and really enjoyed it!), so GO FOR IT, and have fun!

tal

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I actually researched the used prices of Mini Coopers and I was very suprised at how well they hold their value. I can get a new one for about $3000 more than a three year old one.

That is what pushed me over the edge to get a new car. Also, this particular model is new and is called "Checkmate" because of the checker pattern on the side and the sporty options that come with it. I'd love to put a little silhouette Chess Knight on the side in white paint... seems like it would be an excellent addition. Does anyone have a silhouette image of a chess knight that I could give the painter?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit