Men are more intelligent than women.

by PaulJ 65 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

I think it's true (not).

(article previously states men have larger skulls than women)

True, mere brain size in itself is not as important as brain quality, but where the quality is the same the larger brain size has an advantage. Thus Science News, April 1, 1967, told of twenty African children who were so extremely undernourished in the first few years of their lives that "head circumferences...averages an inch less that the others, indicating smaller brain." And over the years all these were found to have verbal, mathematical and perceptual capabilities far below those of other children. Implicit in these findings is that man is advantaged by a greater brain size.Awake! 1967 August 22 p.27, 28

OK, I am not just posting that as a joke or yet another opportunity to grind my axe about the WTS' misongyny (although I do love to do that). I'm posting it as an example of the idea that men are smarter than women as it has been debated for centuries.

I read the article, Paul. It seems curiously vacant of supporting evidence and I'm wondering if it was a publicity stunt. Let us know if they do a follow up. It would be interesting to see.

• Legolas
  • Forscher
    Forscher

Men more intelligent?

Women's brains are wired differently. That doesn't mean that they are less intelligent. It merely means that they process information a little differently. Since science is geared toward MALE thinking processes, it only makes sense that women might have a little trouble competing in an academic atmosphere geared that way. That is what the president of Harvard was getting at, not what his female collegues got so ticked-off about.

Forscher

• Robdar
    Robdar

Men are more intelligent than women?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Perhaps, but we men help to level the playing field by increasing our beer comsumption.

W

• Pole
    Pole

::"At scores of 155, associated with genius, there were 5.5 men for every woman."
    Gimme a break. I wonder what IQ level is necessary to see IQ tests for what they are.
    Pole

• Confession
    Confession

I have no reason to doubt the findings: that men scored higher on this particular IQ test. But as some have mentioned, there are different kinds of intelligence. Four to be exact: Strategy, Logistics, Tactics and Diplomacy.

Remember that kid from high school who always had poor report cards, but could talk anyone into doing just about anything? He was a masterfully intelligent Tactician.

What about the woman in the workplace who always seems to have materials/supplies/provisions ordered and available--before the rest have any clue there is a shortage? She is a fantastically intelligent Logistician.

Or the person in your family who knows just what to say and do to smooth out the difficulties that pop up when you all get together? He or she is a remarkably intelligent Diplomat.

The study measured "general cognitive ability" - spatial and verbal ability. In the grand scope of human intelligence, that is pretty limited. And the difference is only five points? What is that? Only 2.5%? That seems so small to me.

If it's true that men score slightly higher in that area than women, okay...fine. Might that mean certain very small advantages for men over time? Righto. But there are also areas in which men have larger advantages than women--and in which women have huge advantages over men. When I worked in the media, it was clear over my fifteen year career with a number of companies, that usually women were better with cultivating and maintaining sales relationships with clients better than men. There is no doubt in my mind that this was an advantage. And it meant there were considerably more women thriving in these jobs than men.

Point: this study points to only one aspect of one type of intelligence. And the difference is incredibly minor.

• Swan
    Swan

It's all has to do with anatomy. If men's brains are in their pants as women claim, then it only stands to reason that men are more intelligent than women. They can (and frequently do) massage their brains, but women, because of the the protective skull, can't get to their brains for a stimulating massage.

Tammy

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

Personally, I think it all has to do with how the parents raise their children. To be perfectly honest (and some may not be prepared to hear this) little girls are normally smarter than little boys are because little girls receive more mental stimulation than little boys.

I think girls are cuddled more than little boys too!

Later on, boys, (if encouraged) catch up to them in intellectual prowess!

M'

• Undecided
    Undecided

My wife married me, that proves she is not so smart.

Ken P.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit