How Do We See Others On A Discussion Board?

by Sunspot 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Wow Terry! What a post! And how true.

Annie

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    Sometimes.....when a new topic sits on the board for a time without response, I just feel the need to reply with a needling question to get the ball rolling, yanno?

I'm sure glad that you did last night! I began to think that this would head right into the dumper and float off into oblivion! I am so glad you added your touch!

Annie

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

& to Annie!

TERRY!!! Have you been published yet? If not, why not?

Frannie

• Terry
    Terry
    TERRY!!! Have you been published yet? If not, why not?

Frannie

I don't know if you can count doing liner notes for music albums as "being published" or having Randy and Danny set aside webspace for my doodles; but, "no", not other than the aforementioned. (Do a websearch on my name: Terry Walstrom).

My writing is purple-scented eyewash for the most part.

But, thank you for the kind words about it.

Terry

• trevor
    trevor

Thanks for you response to my comments - sunset & talesin

In answer to your question, yes that is me taken this year, on holiday in the Caribbean. I decided I had hidden behind Patrick McGoohan for long enough.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    I don't know if you can count doing liner notes for music albums as "being published" or having Randy and Danny set aside webspace for my doodles; but, "no", not other than the aforementioned. (Do a websearch on my name: Terry Walstrom).

My writing is purple-scented eyewash for the most part.

JMO, I know, Terry, but that's outrageous. You really should DO something with your talent. I've seen too many of your posts that bespeak an inate and shining talent. There are unpublished novels waiting for your name to be applied to them.

Frannie

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

Why would a person come here and "kick 'em when they're down"; when they themselves have most likely experienced abuse from the Watchtower organization? I come here for support and the friendship of people who have been hurt by the JW's and are working on getting over it.

Anyone who comes here with some sort of agenda, not in support and friendship...should just go back and be a JW. I had enough of the backbiting and abuse when I was a JW.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Well, In the 4 years I've been posting here, I've only ever had one person "go off on one" and it was simply because I said I was drinking when in the Chat room. I found it most bizarre. It's never happened since. And that was a long time poster, a lady (not that it matters), but you were discussing the male \ female aspect of it in this thread.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

I think some of it is what I call the Reformed Alcoholic Syndrome, you know the old saw about nothing worse than a reformed drunk preaching about the evils of alcohol. You have "reformed" JW's here who have seen the "light" and become athiests, or agnostics, etc. and hammer those points as hard as they probably preached the word when a dub. I don't say this in a nasty way, I think it is too be expected, especially if one is feeling like they have been duped for a long time. So I think some of the aggressiveness can be traced to folks that have become enlightened so to speak wanting to share that with others and often being pretty forceful.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Good topic, good posts,

Terry, You've got real talent man!

I have a few theories about bad attitudes on JWD and I think several reasons can apply:

• road rage mentality, like when you're in a car and feel somewhat remote and more likely to give someone the finger than if you were sitting in the same room - seems a bit cowardly really,
    • cognitive dissonance can have some such effects
    • some folks are bitter & angry, some with good cause
    • its a typical reaction of having lost the argument and/or chronic insecurity.

I can understand the logic behind the motto of treating others how they treat us: I sometimes do that but then regret it afterwards. If someone treats me mean, it can be more effective not to treat them likewise. Easier said than done.

I also heard a couple of variations on the theme:

• treat others how we like to be treated; or
    • treat others how they like to be treated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit