How Do We See Others On A Discussion Board?

by Sunspot 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I have always had one "motto" that I have stuck by for as long as I can recall........to treat others as they have treated me.

On a discussion board we can and do get into things that may get heated at times, but most of us can usually agree to disagree and be done with it, dignity and feelings intact.

Some folks have done some "bad" things and have dealt with them or in the process of doing so. What they may or may not have done has no direct affect on me, and we ALL have done stupid and sensless things at one time or another, haven't we?Again, I most often tend to treat others as they have treated me. They have done no harm to me, and I react accordingly. That's just me.

I don't understand those who come in like a runaway freight train and hurl insults at people and have their own agenda to take up with certain posters. I just don't "get it" because it serves nothing but what bullies they are on this playground.

So, what IS it that makes us "see" others in one way and makes us react in either a sense of lending a hand in friendship.....or of "let's kick'em when they're already down" mentality?

I would appreciate any input that anyone would like to offer on this.

Annie

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Annie, could testosterone have anything to do with this aggressive affliction, ya think?

Frannie

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Yeah, girlfriend, it sure seems that way, huh?

Annie

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Yah! Never seen a pissin' contest that wasn't begun by someone with their testosterone levels up...heh

Frannie

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Not always testosterone, I've seen a couple of ladies here with major attitudes as well. I'm not sure what causes it. I've been called too sensitive in the past for calling people on their remarks that I considered hurtful. But people are people. I only hope that when it seriously crosses the line the moderators will step in. They usually did in the past, on the pedophile thread that seems not to have happened. Could it have anything to do with the fact that the aggressive one is good friends with someone on the other side of the pond (not speaking of Simon here)? I'm not sure but it sure seems that way.

Sherry

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    Not always testosterone, I've seen a couple of ladies here with major attitudes as well. I'm not sure what causes it.

Gretchen, my older sis was given testosterone as part of her hormone therapy at one time, but that's not to say it's what happened in the cases you've mentioned. Could be "particular buttons pushed" or a combo of hormones and conditioning. Just like all men have testosterone, but all aren't inherently "pissin' contest-happy"

Frannie

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I have a friend who is an hermaphrodite - he has both male and female internanl and external genitalia. He was raised as a girl and at the age of 15 when he was supposed to have the operation to fully change him to a girl he bottled out and opted to be a man instead.

He now has to have regular testosterone injections, once every 6 months, and he says just after the injection he is full of blind confidence. He could easily go out and pick a fist fight. As the hormone wears off he becomes more sensitive and caring.

He says its real sad to see his sons battling and dealing with the onset of testosterone, and knowing that some of their issues are purely hormonal and cant be helped.

The way he describes the effect of T on him is a real insight.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

There's a major "goings on" one of the other JW boards....but this poster was unbelievable. She was a biatch on wheels. It can be male or female. I think sometimes people forget sitting in front of a keyboard that what they say has real impact and can hurt. Of course with the limitations of written word sometimes sarcasm is lost on people and taken too seriously as well.

But by and by I think people behave relatively well. But there are some bad apples.

Gretchen I agree with you on the pedophile thread, it's absolutely disgusting....yet it runs on and on and on.

• luna2
    luna2
    I think sometimes people forget sitting in front of a keyboard that what they say has real impact and can hurt.

Good point, Evil. I know that I'm more aggressive here than in RL, where I'm extremely shy and quiet. LOL I've known people who are naturally more confident and outspoken who can loose sight of the fact that they're communicating with real people on mb's or lists....or they feel that getting their personal point of view across is all that matters.

Like Annie, I try to treat people as they have treated me. Seems like the best policy in this sort of environment. I know I've been rather snarky a couple of times with folks that have either asked goofy questions or have come here to preach....I'm trying to learn to take a step back and count to ten before I fire off a response to those sorts of posts now.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I attempt to not be offended easily, and try to make personal (PM) contact when I've had a disagreement with another poster.

Like Annie, I take people as they present themselves, and how they treat me in kind.

I've had my bad moods too. They've appeared here and over there.

Once, over there, a poster got his arse and every other part chewed up and spit out because he was simply wishing someone well, and that someone had a bad rap with some other posters. I have never, ever done this before, but I was so pissed at the rabid hyeana attack that I did a "shame on you"! and called "them" on their own crap. It had some pretty interesting results! I was actually amazed.

Sometimes I get miffed at this board when there seems to be too much "moderation". But mostly I appreciate it.

Gratefully, when I'm not pleased with something I've had mods that I've been able to discuss it with.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit