My thoughts on men who Body Build

by kls 127 Replies latest jw experiences

• kls
    kls
    Your son looks good enough. He doesn't have to go over board. He's nice.

Thanks Hib , ya i think he ain't so bad either but i am his mom . I also agree these folks do look deformed and hope that is neither of my sons intentions to get that morbidly large.

Thus, my contention that serious body-builders seem to be more aggressive seems to have good backing. There is not a proven causal link between steroid use and aggression, but compared to an average sample of the population the steroid users come out more aggressive, and steroid use amongst serious body builders is > 10% compared to < 0.1% of the general population. Abaddon

Flip flop, flip flop. Now it's steroid users who have an aggressive reputation, but previously you attributed such aggressive reputation to bodybuilders. Sorry, Abaddon, despite your valiant effort to escape from the abyss your foolish remarks got you into, you're not out of the hole. If we assume the accuracy of your assertion that 10% + - a few points of bodybuilders use steroids and are extraodinarily aggressive as a result of such steroid use, then only a small minority of bodybuilders would have aggressive tendencies. You disparaged the entire population of bodybuilders, not just those who use steroids. Keep trying, Abaddon, maybe you'll find some BS to explain your offensive statements instead of the honest apology your ego prevents you from giving.

Lots of stuff I never said... obscuration of what I did say, semantic trickiness ('clarification', not 'qualification'), but you're not going to drop this whatever I say, QED, YMAO.

Lots of allegations but no corroborative cite . . . sorry, Abaddon, you need to be specific . . . this is hogwash.

I suggest 'Microsoft Internet Explorer for Dummies Bodybuilders and their Apologists'; it's great in trying to have a dig at me (you're the one who personified this disucssion, remember 144) you make yourself look foolish. Class, real class...

Another effort to bash bodybuilders (i.e. "Dummies" struck through and replaced by "Bodybuilders"), which demonstrates your absolute lack of sincerity associated with the words that you believed would suffice as an apology. Abaddon, I'm betting that your need to bash bodybuilders is attributable to your own dissatisfaction with your physical health. Maybe you could get a personal trainer and do something good for yourself instead of suffering with the bitter envy you are so obviously afflicted with.

As for looking "foolish," I'd prefer the appearance of foolishness to the appearance you've exhibited in this thread; that of a bitter, envious weakling.

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

144001:

Another effort to bash bodybuilders (i.e. "Dummies" struck through and replaced by "Bodybuilders"), which demonstrates your absolute lack of sincerity associated with the words that you believed would suffice as an apology. Abaddon, I'm betting that your need to bash bodybuilders is attributable to your own dissatisfaction with your physical health. Maybe you could get a personal trainer and do something good for yourself instead of suffering with the bitter envy you are so obviously afflicted with.

ARE YOU A BODY BUILDER??? If you are can you post us a picture of the way you look you don't have to put your head in if you don't want to. Just asking.

Hibiscusfire

ARE YOU A BODY BUILDER??? If you are can you post us a picture of the way you look you don't have to put your head in if you don't want to. Just asking.

I used to be a bodybuilder in my younger years, but injuries sustained from being too "aggressive" in the amount of weights I was using ultimately terminated that phase of my life. Since that time, I've split my exercise routine between endurance activities (such as running, cycling, kayaking, swimming and surfing), and weight lifting. I don't have the bulk to compete as a bodybuilder, but I'm certainly lean enough (my bodyfat is around 5%). My doctor advised that he believes my physical health to be in the top 1% of men my age.

My umbrage to Abaddon's remarks is largely due to the fact that I have several close friends who are in fact bodybuilders, have professional careers and families, don't take steroids, and, when not struggling under the iron, exhibit absolutely none of the undesirable personality traits attributed by Abaddon to bodybuilders in general. Additionally, given his admitted limited experience with bodybuilders, he has no basis to judge the general population of bodybuilders in any way.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Abaddon, I give you credit that you will answer questions posed to you, which can sometimes be a rare commoditiy around here. I have, and most bodybuilders (I will leave powerlifters out of the mix, though I think you were referring to olympic style lifters which tend to be less developed than powerlifters, many powerlifters are almost indistinguishable from bodybuilders, and many compete in both bodybuilding and powerlifting events) I know have no problem with the natural "normal" physique, and most appreciate sport specific physiques such as gymnasts, swimmers, wrestlers and the like.

It seems to me that most of the anti bodybuilding tripe I have listened to over the years came from people who had feelings of inadequacy regarding their body or were fairly pathetic specimens. I do not think less of a person with an average or below average build, I evaluate a person's worth on the type of person they are, until they start trying to tell me how worthless and bad bodybuilding is, and why would you want to look like that, etc. then I get annoyed.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

doogie

Funnily enough I have been doing exactly that (getting membership at a gym), or at least visting a few to make a selection. I did 'Body Combat' last night with my girlfriend. God, I used to race MTB's and I am sooooooooooo un-fit in comparison, being utterly sedentary these days.

By the third of four 10-minute sets I was blowing, and I had to cruise the final one. Good fun though. I was relieved (afterwards) to find I can still go at 80% of max HR for 20 minutes on a stationary bike without blowing. They have spinning classes which sound like exactly the sort of thing I regard as fun... although maybe not as fun as sitting on someone's rear wheel until you know it's time, and then slipping by and keeping the pressure up until you hear them falter from their attempt to get on your wheel, and then kick a little bit more to get some clear road between you and them. Serving them their lungs on a plate, great fun.

I am insanely competitive on two wheels; I see a bike in front, I chase it down. The number of times I have TT'd to a speck of a bike on the horizon to find 500m out I was chasing down a granny on a shopping bike... ... but the times when you get someone who reacts and have a ad-hoc race through city traffic... ooo, that's fun, I've been handed MY lungs on a plate a few times by guys who liked the same games as me but were far better...

I've not been to a gym in ages before this week and one pleasent change I noticed was that the free-weights hadn't been nabbed by a group of guys who glare at you if you look interested in using them. I've run into the 'Gymier than thou' crap before.

As I have said (but some have no interest in), I was far too non-specific in the way I initially said things. Logically I know the vast majority of people interested in 'strength sports' must be just like the next guy. My personal experience however is vastly different from this, and it could well be that I just knew a really unpleasent group of body builders who don't represent the majority.

kls

Your son just looks FIT. The people I am talking about are far closer to Mr My-biceps-are-bigger than-your-chest pictured above.

Another effort to bash bodybuilders

Nope, just pulling your string, rather effectively; watch 144 dance! As for wanting to get fitter, yes; this would not involve looking like the extreme examples I have been talking about or that have been pictured in this thread. So your little theory about me being envious of the BB'ers I critisize is wrong; that's not what I regard as fit. KLS's son looks fit; it's just when someone talks about a BB'er being in a fight I can SEE the sort of guys I used to know as BB'ers (super large and aggresive), as this is my experience. I've already said I'm sorry I upset people by not being clearer, but as I thought, this makes no difference to your attitude.

If we assume the accuracy of your assertion that 10% + - a few points of bodybuilders use steroids and are extraodinarily aggressive as a result of such steroid use,

I didn't say that, so you're not worth talking to further.

Big Dog

Fairly said sir! Like I've said, I can see how my intial comments could spark someone.

• doogie
    doogie

Abs :

I've not been to a gym in ages before this week and one pleasent change I noticed was that the free-weights hadn't been nabbed by a group of guys who glare at you if you look interested in using them. I've run into the 'Gymier than thou' crap before.

i hear ya. you're always going to get some of those guys. i'd say something ("i pay just as much as you!"), but i'm a wuss and they look pretty aggressive... in all seriousness, i've found that some of the biggest guys are the nicest and helpful in the place. they worship at the altar of free weights continually and love to see new converts. however, there are some pretty specific rules of gym etiquette that are taken extremely seriously by some (it's like golf. except more neck veins).

the worst are the nuts who run over to spot you as soon as you start struggling on the bench or something. somehow, they always find a way to get their crotch as close to your face as possible (you know, maybe i need a new gym...).

good luck with your riding (you should get back into it). my dad was a bike nut and he kind of got us kids hooked on it.

If we assume the accuracy of your assertion that 10% + - a few points of bodybuilders use steroids and are extraodinarily aggressive as a result of such steroid use,

I didn't say that, so you're not worth talking to further.

Let's see what he did say:

Thus, my contention that serious body-builders seem to be more aggressive seems to have good backing. There is not a proven causal link between steroid use and aggression, but compared to an average sample of the population the steroid users come out more aggressive, and steroid use amongst serious body builders is > 10% compared to < 0.1% of the general population.

Abaddon, lying doesn't change historical facts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit