Fawlty Towers

by Sunspot 43 Replies latest social entertainment

• rebel8
    rebel8

Sunspot, I thought you'd be out at Harborfest instead of watching TV. Naw, probably you're trying to get away from the crowds & noise.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Nahhh, hubby was working last night, and I don't "do" Harborfest any more. It's way too crowded and I have trouble trying to get where I want to go in big crowds. It's just too exhausting. Once we tried to "cheat" by driving down in back, and sitting in the P & C parking lot......but even there, the trees blocked our view. It's tough when it takes an hour and a half to get home in what normally takes 10 minutes! (Not to mention the " over-inebriated party-goers" who are trying to cut in front of everyone and drive like lunatics, and then can and flip you off as a joke) By the time we'd get home, we'd be ready to chew glass!

I did watch the fireworks on channel 15 though. If there weren't so many trees across the road, I could have watched it from the porch! When they used to have fireworks in Granby on the 4th of July, I could see them across the field and over the tops of the low trees, but last night's festivities right on the Lake were too far the other way.

They said that 150,000 were there last night! Did you get to go?

Annie

• prophecor
    prophecor

Farty Towels

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

John Cleese yells too much.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    What about the one where John Cleese promises to thrash his car if it does not behave - and it does not behave/will not start and so he thrases the car with a branch of a tree- Sheer brilliance

stilla...the brilliance of this was that he said he'd count to 3 and then give it a thrashing..but he never even turned the key in the ignition after counting..just expected the car to start by itself genius fawlty titties

• andy2tanx
    andy2tanx

Flowery Twats was the best sign joke....

Gringoj - are you for real?

• poppers
    poppers

I absolutely love Fawlty Towers, ever since I first saw them on PBS back in the 70s I think. Recently I bought the DVD of the entire series (something like $59 US dollars). I was surprised there were only 12 episodes. What's nice is that you can put on the subtitles - something very handy in picking up on Basil's aside comments. The DVD has some nice extras too. A truly great series.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Note to Poms And Ozzies: "Good Neighbors" as mentioned by our US friends here, seems to be what we knew as "the Good Life" with Richard Briers, Felicity Kendall, Penelope Keith and Paul Eddington. Understandable, as there had been a comedy series in the US also called "The Good Life", not long before the British series came out.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    Felicity Kendall

AHA! I believe it was Felicity Kendall that played the long-suffering Barbara!

Annie

• prophecor
    prophecor

Felicity Kendall
    .... even in her snooty, upwardly mobile standoffishness, she was still, rather Sexy!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit