Fawlty Towers

by Sunspot 43 Replies latest social entertainment

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

gringojj,

You missed the "New Light" on PBS. It used to be ungodly until the real meaning of the letters of PBS were researched. The "P" stands for "Public" the "B" stands for "Broadcasting" and the "S" of course stands for "Satan" This is ok because in the origonal greek, "Ho, He, Ho, Heee, oooooo, o" is in the nominative predicate position of the anartorous noun value emphaticall expressed with the top lip in stasis. So, watch what you want. You count your time and I'll count mine.

Remember when people would say that? You count your time and I'll count mine. Silly people.

W.Once

• talesin
    talesin

BritSits

John Cleese is brilliant, and Fawlty Towers is one of the best! Speaking of Cleese, how about "A Fish Called Wanda?"

Are You Being Served? is another great BritSit.

t

• greendawn
    greendawn

John Cleese who played Basil Fawlty in the series was inspired to make this series from a real life rude hotel owner whom he got to know after staying at his hotel.

I used to love this series, Basil but also Manuel.

• Simon
    Simon

Fawlty Towers was excellent. There were only about a dozen episodes made, each of them a classic.

Apparently, Basil Fawlty was based on a real hotel owner that the python team stayed with and who threw one of their cases out the window !

Flowery Twats

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

the dead body episode was the funniest....can i get my hat...we'll have it sent on

and the australian girl.....mr fawlty he go crazeeeey

and the rat....did they not have rats in spain..or did franco have them all shot

and the germans....dont mention the war...i did once but i think i got away with it

and the deaf woman....u know what i'll do basil....you'll have to sew them back on first

and the wedding party...i'm sorry i made a mistake..im sorry i made a mistake..im sorry my wife made a mistake

and the guy with the girl in his room.....pretentious..moi

and the builders...if the good lord.....is mentioned one more time i will move you closer to him

and gourmet night...and the anniversary...and the waldorf salad..and the other one

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

You started it

No ,you did by invading Poland.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    I used to love this series, Basil but also Manuel.

YES! MY fave too! He was up to the usual nonsense in this episode, which was one of the reasons I was beyond laughing so hard! I couldn't catch my breath. No kidding.

I have always loved the show, but it struck me extra funny for some reason. This one was when Basil thought that there were restaurant critics in the area and was knocking himself out by trying to be extra accommodating to some guests that were real jerks! I don't even know if it has been running for a while or what, but I'll be "making sure of the important things" like this on Sunday nights to come.

It's nice to know how many of you even recognize the series, and came and replied to this. Sometimes ya begin a thread and it sinks to the ground and gets swallowed up in a flash!

I had mentioned "Good Neighbors" on another thread a while ago. When we lived in WV and the station ended it's run of the show, hubby and I lived near the area where the station was......and went out there to ask if they would consider re-running it again. (This was before VCRs and the like, back in the late 70's) and anyway----they DID!

So, yeah, we were big fans of that show too. I loved the gal that played Barbara (senior moment and forgotten her name) she just tickled me. She had the cutest impish look about her. All four of the main characters were terrific anyway IMHO! Obviously I adore Brit humor.

hugs,

Annie

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

Whatever you do, DON'T mention the War.

Faulty Towers is pure Genius.

But, we got to give a mention to Manuel. That poor SOB could never do anything right.
    My favorite Manuel quote is "I know Naathing"

• Swan
    Swan

It is my favorite TV comedy of all time.

I watch the DVD's quite often and laugh and laugh.

My favorite snacks while I watch are a Waldorf salad and Eva Prawns.

Tammy

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

What about the one where John Cleese promises to thrash his car if it does not behave - and it does not behave/will not start and so he thrases the car with a branch of a tree- Sheer brilliance

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit