Why do/don't you believe in God

by LouBelle 153 Replies latest jw friends

• trevor
    trevor

I Believe in an intelligent life force that is motivated by love in the true sense of the word. This force pervades everything and is indestructible.

The Jehovah of the Bible is just a monster made in the image of the worse of men. Man has used this minor deity as a puppet to inspire fear.

But all this has been said before. People who need to believe in a god will find one that suits them.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Mtbatoon:

If the bible is gods word and a manual for how we should live our lives then it should be clear and uncomplicated, not hidden in metaphor.

Another JW-esque comment, if ever I heard one. What was the purpose of the "Law"? (Gal.3:24, 25)

Also, what have you got against metaphor? At what point did you miss the following verses: Eze.20:49; Matt.13:13 ?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Trevor:
    Agreed (more than you know).

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

Mtbatoon, the bible uses a lot of imagery. Even Jesus sets an example of this by telling parables.

And with the Angel of death thing, think of what his main purpose was! to set his people free! It wasn't every innocent child it was the firstborn of every Egyption child.

Evanescence

• Pole
    Pole

I'm with mtbatoon as far as biblical imagery and the use of metaphor go.

If the bible is gods word and a manual for how we should live our lives then it should be clear and uncomplicated, not hidden in metaphor.

In fact the kind of metaphors we find in this book prove that the Bible is only a work of men. And that's the disappointing part as far as beliveing or not believing in God. In my opinion not believing in God is much more honest, although not everybody can cope with this awarness. Therefore even good-hearted people make up new metaphors to explain the biblical ones, or they stretch the biblical ones usually in a harmless way.
    The metaphor gives you a sense of direction. Heheh - here we go I've just used another metaphor. Of course we can't live without them, but why should we live by the metaphors made up by a bunch of ancient men and somtimes ruin our lives when we take them too seriously?
    So the problem is that biblical metaphors are nothing special and for people who have been told for years that they are special this discovery is disillusioning in terms of believing in God.
    Pole

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

mtbatoon - that was just one verse, which you happend to mention that I don't take literally, as a matter of fact I hardly take any of the bible at face value. Personally I don't think it was designed / written that way. Some things may have really happend but for the most part there is a more meaningful "gem" one can take away.

Perhaps us humans tend to overanalyse things and that has lead to so much confusion.

• mtbatoon
    mtbatoon
    We once needed a focal point to answer all the nagging unanswerable questions of how did we get here, how should we live our lives and where do we go, questions that each religion tries to answer, some more successfully than others.
    Science has answered many of these questions for us and possibly one day science will be considered in the same light as we now consider the universe being made out of someone's testicles

Ermmm... no it hasn't.

OK I should of put it that science is used to answer many of these questions. I don't believe that that it has all the answers or that it ever will.

Another JW-esque comment, if ever I heard one. What was the purpose of the "Law"? (Gal.3:24, 25)

You really know how to insult a chap.

I don't dispute the fact that biblical laws have their place but I don't see any difference between them and secular laws.

Perhaps us humans tend to overanalyse things and that has lead to so much confusion.

Which is why I don't agree with the use of metaphor for a text that claims to be as important as it does. Metaphors can be misinterpreted or twisted.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Pole:

In fact the kind of metaphors we find in this book prove that the Bible is only a work of men.

"Prove" is kinda a strong word, doncha think?

Mtbatoon:
    Juat funning ya

Did you read those texts?

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

To answer the question "why do I believe in God?" It makes sense of my existence.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    I'll never again consciously follow a terrorist.

I'm completely with sonnyboy on this and trevor. God is a monster made up by manipulative and evil men magnified a 1000 times to keep the guillible in check.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit