Why do/don't you believe in God

by LouBelle 153 Replies latest jw friends

• anewme
    anewme

Excuse me, but I still believe in Jehovah God.

I feel like a teenager on the outs with her dad.

• Englishman
    Englishman

I think it's pretty dumb to say categorically that there is no god. Like my ole Dad used to say, we talk about the laws of the universe, so if there are these laws, then there must be a law-maker.

I certainly don't believe in the god of JW's whose main interest seems to be keeping an eye on what I do with my genitals.

There could well be a superior or even supreme being I guess. Whether this will make any difference to what happens to us when we die, god only knows.

Englishman.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

I believe in God- for many of the reasons stated here already. Maybe Im being naiive but I feel that when I pray he is listening, even more so now Im no longer a JW.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I also have no doubt that there is a creator and the essence of his policies is revealed in the Bible, it's just not credible that man was made by evolution with an inbuilt instinct for believing in the divine and with a desire for a spiritual life interestingly enough in the human brain there are centres that enable spirituality in man. Mother nature (evolution) simply doesn't believe in the existence of the divine.

The real God has nothing to do with the jw god their god is a devil in disguise a destructive short tempered god.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I believe in a god-entity, as a source for the universe. I do not believe this god-entity is entitled to, nor requires worship. No more than the admiration and respect we have for the Earth and all living upon her.

I believe in the spirit world. I have had too many experiences not to.

But I classify myself as an agnostic because it leaves the door open to new thought and proof or dis-proof.

• donkey
    donkey

Satan is God.

When you read the Bible who is threatening to kill everyone? God or Satan?

Who required that offspring be killed to redeem sin? God or Satan?

Of course since I don't believe in a devl or a satan....I have to decale that I am God!!

• melmoth
    melmoth

The question of whether there is a god is of course persistent and interesting, but I'm more fascinated by the question of why many people want and need to believe that there is, or to believe they have an answer either way.
    Clearly the belief addresses a fundamental human need. Yet belief will not make a god exist if it doesn't, of course - except perhaps within one's own consiousness, which might actually be the entire point of the exercise. Likewise, doubt or denial certainly doesn't make an existing god cease to be.
    Imagine for the sake of discussion that there is no god. Now, let's make one up that in its nature and concept would be useful to us, addressing our fears (about death) and unanswerable questions (about the origins of everything). It should care enough to be comforting (just like Frasier, he's listening), yet work in mysterious ways so that our belief can survive the reality of human suffering.
    It would (I propose) be just like what so many 'believe in.'
    Naturally, that doesn't mean god doesn't exist or that it isn't precisely what people believe. It's just awfully convenient.
    I have always found it preposterous that the christian creator god would want or require worship from us lowly creations. Vanity, thy name is God? I doubt it. Rituals of worship are like funerals: they might profess to be about god, or your deceased friend, but it's really all about those attending.

• JH
    JH

I believe in God because I can see the wonderful creation all around me.

• talesin
    talesin

LouBelle, I like what John Lennon said in his song "God"

God is a Concept by which
    we measure our pain
    I'll say it again
    God is a Concept by which
    we measure our pain
    I don't believe in magic
    I don't believe in I-ching
    I don't believe in Bible
    I don't believe in Tarot
    I don't believe in Hitler
    I don't believe in Jesus
    I don't believe in Kennedy
    I don't believe in Buddha
    I don't believe in Mantra
    I don't believe in Gita
    I don't believe in Yoga
    I don't believe in Kings
    I don't believe in Elvis
    I don't believe in Zimmerman
    I don't believe in Beatles
    I just believe in me...and that reality

The dream is over
    What can I say?
    the Dream is Over
    Yesterday
    I was the Dreamweaver
    But now I'm reborn
    I was the Walrus
    But now I'm John
    and so dear friends
    you'll just have to carry on
    The Dream is over

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I don't believe in God because I can see the horrible destruction and pain all around me. GBL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit