Why do/don't you believe in God

by LouBelle 153 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

Dammit talesin....I was gonna post those lyrics....you beat me to it....

good job, though

• JH
    JH
    I don't believe in God because I can see the horrible destruction and pain all around me.

I think that the bible prophesied that too.

• talesin
    talesin

tks, undercover

I was gonna try to splain it, but I'm no JamesThomas,,, so I felt Johnny could say it for me. Or rather, for us!

tal

• Daunt
    Daunt

"I think that the bible prophesied that too."

Prophesized? There has been pain and destruction before humans were born. How can the bible prophesize something before the bible was even created.

Anyways, many folks believe in God because it fills a hole in their emotions that couldn't be filled with much else. (Not saying everybody just many folks) God fills that need because the concept of God can be ANYTHING you want. You can attribute all of the great things that has ever happened to God and there will be no magical force saying it isn't because it's essentially nothing. (sorry if I offended anybody with this. Just think of the opposite religious belief say if you're christian think of a muslim. Aren't they not believing in nothing by many folks?) However, that nothing can be everything because like I said before you can attribute anything you want to this God, and it's the exact opposite. You can contribute all of the bad things that You feel are bad to this Devil idea. And it will be more real to you than any person alive because a real person does have limitations that can be observed, but with God it's nothing, which makes him pretty much everything in your mind.

Me personally I have found more believing in myself and the world around me than anything else. And this is not to sound selfish, because every person I associate with even in the most indirect of ways are a part of me in a way. They form the person I am even if I don't want them to. That's a pretty close connection, and if I deny their involvement in my life I'm pretty much denying myself. THIS has brought me more satisfaction and comfort than any person or any idea has ever had. I'm never worried about dissapointing myself or I will kill myself if I don't do this right, my life is for advancement. Advancement is my purpose in life and that's more real to me than a smoke dream in the far future can ever bring.

And sorry again if I offended anyone, just how I feel about things.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Just because some pseudo-scientist believed the moon was made of blue cheese because it looked like blue cheese to him didn't make it true.

Just because so many believe in god (singular or plural), doesn't make it true.

I believe I'll have another raspberry milkshake. Doesn't mean I'm going to.

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

I beileve in the Generator Of Dreams [G.O.D.] as the ultiamte reality of which we are all a part

I dont believe there is any part of ultimate reality which can sanely call itself god apart from the rest of us.

I do believe it is possible that some technologically godlike beings have been and many still be messing with our heads

but they are not really god[s].

• melmoth
    melmoth

BrendaCloutier: "I believe I'll have another raspberry milkshake. Doesn't mean I'm going to."
    Yes you will. I read it in my bybull.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

The problem with John is he believed in "me". The unquestioned belief in a "me" supports all other beliefs, and is the reason for all war and suffering. Which brings us to God.

The problem with the word "God", is that it is a noun: another separate "me", a thing, an object, a fragment of a bigger universe. Who told us God was a separate thing?

The mind naturally fragments the universe for practical reasons. However, the interpretation of a universe of endless-separate-things is not the Reality, but rather an imitation or simulation. Consciousness, and all phenomena which appear in awareness are an unbroken Whole. WHOLENESS, is the Reality, and our true Identity. Our true and pristine Oneness and Vastness, is what the word "God" points to - before the mind gets it's hands on it and creates deities, beliefs and religions around it.

Since our actual Identity is not the individual little entity that we believe ourselves to be, but rather the Wholeness, it can be realized if and when there is significant investigation inward into the silent depths of our Being.

Who/what, am I, really? It's not about believing in God. It's not about believing in a "me". It's about unquestionably and undeniably rediscovering what you really and actually are.

j

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

I do.

I don't care what anyone says about it. If you believe or not that is your choice there is nothing wrong with having a different way of looking at things.

I got out of a religion that made you believe. Made you think a certain way. I got out of that.

I can hear and I do accept other peoples choices but I follow my heart.

I know there is a God. When I had my 2 kids and they were both put in my arms I knew there was something out there.

Those who look at all the horrible things, may you not forget the wonderful things as well. I look at all sides of the story not just what I want to see and hear.

Brooke

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

I believe in God because He has done so much for me. He has helped me in times of trouble, he keeps me strong and gives me courage.

God is love. I believe when I stray from doing what He wants me to do I get into difficulty. Yet when I ask for forgiveness and help.....He helps me. I love the Lord.

Hibiscusfire

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit